SEMI-STATE: Upsets, Key Matches, Etc.

navy80

1 hour ago, JMAN said:

Just left Semi-State East Chicago and I have to say the way Indiana does it’s state is a embarrassment considering how good Indiana wrestling is overall. I moved here from out of state and this is the absolute WORST way to determine who goes to state.

You have high level wrestlers going hone while below average kids go to state.  Is that what you want?  A watered down state tournament lacking quality?  Without seeding and a more importantly wrestle backs Indiana State is hollow!

I watched kids crying after close loses. NO KIDS should be crying off losing one match before state or at it for that matter.  It’s is an ABSOLUTE JOKE OF A SYSTEM!

Yes, my kid lost in a match that never should have happened putting the 5th ranked kid in the state with the 2nd ranked kid in the state in a death match with no wrestle back.  He lost a close match and that pisses me off.  He is a better wrestler than most kids actually going to state!

Howevee, even if he had won it would still be upsetting because a high quality kid goes homes while other kids move on that wouldn’t last 1 minute with either kid!

it is a disgrace!

Well sounds like those guys that are going to state are better than the ones that aren’t! They seed it from sectionals then it’s based on how you do after! If you don’t want to wrestle someone really good then take care of business in sectional and regional! Doesn’t matter if it’s seeded or anything kids are gonna cry in ever sport when the season is over!

55 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Castle's John Purdy has the look of a State Champion.  He's a sophomore, so if not this year, he has 2 more.  If I were a betting man, I'd put money down on a title for him, hoping he stays injury free.

Yea best Castle prospect since the Welch’s and has a chance to surpass Castle all-time great Thad Oldham!

1 hour ago, JMAN said:

Just left Semi-State East Chicago and I have to say the way Indiana does it’s state is a embarrassment considering how good Indiana wrestling is overall. I moved here from out of state and this is the absolute WORST way to determine who goes to state.

You have high level wrestlers going hone while below average kids go to state.  Is that what you want?  A watered down state tournament lacking quality?  Without seeding and a more importantly wrestle backs Indiana State is hollow!

I watched kids crying after close loses. NO KIDS should be crying off losing one match before state or at it for that matter.  It’s is an ABSOLUTE JOKE OF A SYSTEM!

Yes, my kid lost in a match that never should have happened putting the 5th ranked kid in the state with the 2nd ranked kid in the state in a death match with no wrestle back.  He lost a close match and that pisses me off.  He is a better wrestler than most kids actually going to state!

Howevee, even if he had won it would still be upsetting because a high quality kid goes homes while other kids move on that wouldn’t last 1 minute with either kid!

it is a disgrace!

Wrestlebacks have LONG been a discussion here, a mostly one-sided discussion.  The system we have is one that has been in place for a long time.  The same goes for next week at State with the loser on Friday going home and the loser Saturday morning able to wrestle back to 5th/6th only.  The one thing the current system provides, love it or not, is the most exciting Quarterfinal round in wrestling.  Trust me, your pain and frustration is felt.  

36 minutes ago, justaDCguy said:

Well sounds like those guys that are going to state are better than the ones that aren’t! They seed it from sectionals then it’s based on how you do after! If you don’t want to wrestle someone really good then take care of business in sectional and regional! Doesn’t matter if it’s seeded or anything kids are gonna cry in ever sport when the season is over!

You have to admit we should have wrestle backs to 3rd for the regional, semi state, and state finals. If you do it one round (sectional), then be consistent. What do I know though? I want to have 4 tournaments (classed and single class for both individual and team duals) and much more wrestling considering basketball gets a month more time than we do. 

9 minutes ago, rdrodd1 said:

Major with the major 9-1.  Looked like Pendoski and McGinley were getting ready to wrestle there for a second.

Just watched the first period on track. In addition to the near scuffle between the coaches, I also liked the side ref’s strong beard and the “can I tell you something off the record” comment from the table help.

2 minutes ago, Silence Dogood said:

Just watched the first period on track. In addition to the near scuffle between the coaches, I also liked the side ref’s strong beard and the “can I tell you something off the record” comment from the table help.

My money is on Eddie - regions don't fight fare

Great match at 145 for the final at Jasper.

Reynolds beats Watson

And....I love that the reff's seemed to be confused on a call and the kids on the mat laughed it off and were clearly confused on the call and trying to talk/work it out for themselves.

Two great young men, that showed a lot of sportsmanship 

2 hours ago, JMAN said:

it is a disgrace!

You should thank Christian Carroll for moving and opening up the 195 spot at Penn.

Edited by D Summar

18 minutes ago, Silence Dogood said:

Yeah they look like they have one ref from ZZ Top and another from Metallica today.

2 hours ago, JMAN said:

it is a disgrace!

Welcome to Indiana. Maybe before you criticize everyone on here, you should educate yourself about our state tournament history. Everyone agrees that we need wrestlebacks. We’ve been arguing for them for decades. But the IHSAA won’t listen and won’t add them. The coaches propose it every chance they get. 

Every person that moves into our state says the same thing as you. This is what we have. We are doing everything we can to change it. Sorry you couldn’t handle it. 

1 hour ago, 1prouddad said:

Kinda confused here. 
Haug(Forrest Park)  defaulted to Gilbert(Su) in the Semis thus putting him in 3/4th place March that he’s now wrestling. 

was he battling an injury at the time? 

He looked like he hurt his ribs in a very exciting ticket round match. Not sure though

2 hours ago, JMAN said:

it is a disgrace!

Everyone has their opinion. First I must thank Indiana Wrestling for allowing us a season when many other states did not. In August if you would've asked me about a season I would have told you there was no chance well happily I was proven wrong today. I will say as a former wrestler and now a coach YES, the system sucks, kids don't get the shine they deserve, but its is the system we have had for how many years? You can bash the IHSAA all you want but every school and every kid is playing under the same rules, top 4 advance. Are some semi states not as deep as others, sure. Are some weights not as deep as others, sure, BUT every year when you leave the state finals you know the kid at the top of the podium was the best at that weight for 4 weeks. We are a single class state finals which is the absolute BEST part about our state tournament series. My favorite part of state is seeing a small school get kids to state and even to the finals. Could the system use a change OF COURSE, but it is what we have and we are wrestling that is a lot better than most right now. Again thank you to every single wrestler, coach, parent, and fan that made this season possible. I love Indiana wrestling good luck to all of those still competing next weekend!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.