SEMI-STATE: Upsets, Key Matches, Etc.

navy80

21 minutes ago, JayinSTL said:

RE: Thrine v Pierson... the slams a judgment call (I’ve reffed some high level matches in the past, other states tourneys, I wouldn’t have called it a slam) but the coaches got up an immediately told him to lay down/stay down.  You can call it concern, there’s always that, but even if it was illegal, the dump wasn’t that bad.  Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.  I think it’s shameful to get up and immediately wave your hands in the motion to tell a kid to stay down.  

Exactly my point, and I could hear it being encouraged! My guy came out ready to Wrestle...I don't want the kid to be injured, plus had there not been a point awarded to Pierson and that call made, I can almost guarantee he doesn't lay there and let Brevan punch his ticket or will his coach tell him to lay down.. The immediate HAND GESTURE to stay down was so obvious.. They didn't like seeing their guy get picked up and man handled like that and knew it wasn't going to be nothing sweet and took the easy way out..

idgaf what anybody thinks, I'll always ride with my guys and have their backs and WILL NEVER tell them to lay down.. Then have half of Warren laughing and cussing Brevan like They're tough guys ganging up on a kid that just for his heart broken... I'm a grown ass man and can take the criticism but the moment ppl wanna start crap with my boy then we have a problem.. There's not one person in this board that wouldn't feel the way I do about this matter.. And thousands of fans all agree, there was bs going on...

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

56 minutes ago, bakecw001 said:

There were only two freshman in that bracket haha... I also didn't call individuals weak. I know which freshman you are referring too, but also didn't say anything about him in the post. I bet fw goes 0-4 at 220 next week.

I’ll take the over for 100 Bananas 

7 minutes ago, JayinSTL said:

Shameful.  Coaches should be ashamed

That's impossible, like you witnessed there was no shame telling the kid who could've continued, to stay down.. They knew that match was gonna be a good one and took the easy way out...I'm all for taking our Losses with grace but that was beyond suspect, and the team mates laughing and cussing at BREVAN get it honest...I always respected Warren but the crap I seen today was ridiculous.. I'll get over it eventually but there was a lot of hard work pissed away in that moment..I train Brevan year round on my own in my garage and love him like my own and having to carry him up the stairs while he is balling his eyes out didn't sit well with me at all... Appreciate you speaking up and seeing what everybody else did.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

35 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

In a battle of the unbeaten EMD Freeman outlast Dalton in OT 

A huge part of Freeman's jump from very good to great this year has been his ability to finish shots.  He's always gotten to the legs well.  This year he has finished quickly and not gotten into a lot of scrambles.  Today was different.  Dalton kept him from finishing and every Freeman shot turned into a scramble and most ended in stalemates.  There was a heckuva lot of action for a 3-1 OT win.  

On 2/7/2021 at 11:34 AM, 1prouddad said:

So, who are the “right kids”? And what’s the “right spot”?

6 hours ago, navy80 said:

Post all Semi-State related content here!

Just left Semi-State East Chicago and I have to say the way Indiana does it’s state is a embarrassment considering how good Indiana wrestling is overall. I moved here from out of state and this is the absolute WORST way to determine who goes to state.

You have high level wrestlers going hone while below average kids go to state.  Is that what you want?  A watered down state tournament lacking quality?  Without seeding and a more importantly wrestle backs Indiana State is hollow!

I watched kids crying after close loses. NO KIDS should be crying off losing one match before state or at it for that matter.  It’s is an ABSOLUTE JOKE OF A SYSTEM!

Yes, my kid lost in a match that never should have happened putting the 5th ranked kid in the state with the 2nd ranked kid in the state in a death match with no wrestle back.  He lost a close match and that pisses me off.  He is a better wrestler than most kids actually going to state!

Howevee, even if he had won it would still be upsetting because a high quality kid goes homes while other kids move on that wouldn’t last 1 minute with either kid!

it is a disgrace!

9 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

A huge part of Freeman's jump from very good to great this year has been his ability to finish shots.  He's always gotten to the legs well.  This year he has finished quickly and not gotten into a lot of scrambles.  Today was different.  Dalton kept him from finishing and every Freeman shot turned into a scramble and most ended in stalemates.  There was a heckuva lot of action for a 3-1 OT win.  

That’s always the case when one wrestles Dalton. Excellent scrambler. 

5 minutes ago, JMAN said:

Just left Semi-State East Chicago and I have to say the way Indiana does it’s state is a embarrassment considering how good Indiana wrestling is overall. I moved here from out of state and this is the absolute WORST way to determine who goes to state.

You have high level wrestlers going hone while below average kids go to state.  Is that what you want?  A watered down state tournament lacking quality?  Without seeding and a more importantly wrestle backs Indiana State is hollow!

I watched kids crying after close loses. NO KIDS should be crying off losing one match before state or at it for that matter.  It’s is an ABSOLUTE JOKE OF A SYSTEM!

Yes, my kid lost in a match that never should have happened putting the 5th ranked kid in the state with the 2nd ranked kid in the state in a death match with no wrestle back.  He lost a close match and that pisses me off.  He is a better wrestler than most kids actually going to state!

Howevee, even if he had won it would still be upsetting because a high quality kid goes homes while other kids move on that wouldn’t last 1 minute with either kid!

it is a disgrace!

You wrestle who’s out in front of you. 
Many of these wrestlers haven’t wrestled some of their opponents prior to this tournament. So who’s to say one is better than the other?

So once again, wrestle who is in front of you and may the best man win. 

Just now, SWINfan said:

Castle's John Purdy has the look of a State Champion.  He's a sophomore, so if not this year, he has 2 more.  If I were a betting man, I'd put money down on a title for him, hoping he stays injury free.

He looked really good vs Fuqua. Hoping he can keep the momentum going. 

SWINfan,,     I completely agree with you about Prudy. Just watch him and faqua, and I was thinking that this kid will win a title or two.  He has the craziest top starting position I’ve seen . I didn’t know starting with both knees down behind the bottom guy was even legal. 

26 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Castle's John Purdy has the look of a State Champion.  He's a sophomore, so if not this year, he has 2 more.  If I were a betting man, I'd put money down on a title for him, hoping he stays injury free.

That's what I told Jay .. He's looking dominant so far ! Finals coming up !! 

My $.02 on the Jasper/Evansville Finals...

106 - Close.  These guys have wrestled a lot and know each other well.  Seng 70/30
113 - Egli/Hammack - Hammack 55/45.  Should be a battle.  Egli won last year by fall after Hammack had a big lead
120 - Another one with guys familiar with each other...   Gilbert 2-1 the last 2 years.  Can Ross even it up?  Gilbert 60/40
126 - Ison/Schoeff - A familiar theme here.  Ison is 2-1, but Schoeff won last week.  Schoeff 52/48
132 - Freeman/Montgomery - Freeman won decisively earlier this year.  Freeman 65/35/
138 - Boarman/Alstott - Boarman seems to have Alstott's #, but they're usually close.

145 - The sentiment seems to favor Reynolds, but I like Watson.  Close and likely a lot of fun!
152 - Con will win!!   I'm taking Conway by a hair, maybe 6-5?  Seems like a 50-50 matchup to me.
160 - No disrespect to Landon Boe, but I don't think anyone is stopping Baumann right now.  I'll call it 80/20 Brody.
170 - My SW IN bias has me taking Purdy.  My guess is I'm in the minority.  Purdy 56/44
182 - Again, bias here, but I haven't seen anyone make Sollars sweat yet.  It will likely happen tonight but will it be enough?  Sollars 60/40
195 - Going with the undefeated Carrington in a tight one over Dickens.  50/50 match
220 - Chalk chalk chalk with Ruhlman over Howell.  85/15 match here
285 - Ditto with the chalk.  Jones wins.  90/10 Jones over Munoz

Edited by SWINfan

37 minutes ago, Cooper160 said:

SWINfan,,     I completely agree with you about Prudy. Just watch him and faqua, and I was thinking that this kid will win a title or two.  He has the craziest top starting position I’ve seen . I didn’t know starting with both knees down behind the bottom guy was even legal. 

A lot of college kids start that way

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.