Best Ticket Round Matches Ever?

blueandgold

Semi-State is a tough week. It's where many dreams are realized and others are crushed. Every year, we see quality matches take place in the ticket round that would've been better suited the next weekend at Bankers Life, but unfortunately in our system, we only get to see them once. What are some of the best ticket matches you have ever seen?

Off the top of my head

#5 Mason Parris (Lawrenceburg) vs. #12 Ben Stewart (Cathedral)

- A brawl for the ages that saw Mason Parris was not to be played with. The freshman came out swinging and beat Stewart 3-1.

#4 Zach Melloh (Cathedral) vs. #13 D.J. Brookbank (Perry Meridian)

- Fireworks... First word that comes to mind when I think about this match. Melloh was a returning state medalist up from 126 and had beaten Brookbank in two prior meetings, including a senior night thriller at Perry Meridian, and was heavily favored in their third match-up. Brookbank, however, became a man possessed and put Melloh to his back in the opening moments of the match and upended him 13-11 to punch his ticket to state in his first trip to New Castle as a senior.

Riley Rust (Center Grove) vs. Justice Cash (Bloomington North)

- An emotional match-up that saw the Center Grove stud beat probably one of the best to never qualify for state.

2015 Evansville-132 Austin Bethel vs. Brayton Lee

2010 Evansville-112 Cody Kendle (Pike Central) over returning state runner up Dusty Kief (Franklin Community)

Then, Kief vs. the barricade at Roberts Stadium 

Edited by Grenadier2012

2016- Evansville 106- Both Freshman 

Ticket Round 

At the time #1 Cayden Rooks vs. #8 Asa Garcia 

Future- 3x State Champ, 3rd vs. 2x State Champ, Runner Up 

1st 0-0 after 1st period 

2nd Cayden choose bottom 

1-0 Cayden escapes 

3rd Asa chooses bottom 

1-1 Asa escapes 

3-1 Asa takedown 

3-3 Cayden reversal with 6 seconds 

OT - draw 

OT2 - Cayden get rode out 

OT3 - Asa reversal +2 and +2 backs with 17 seconds 

Final 7-3 

Ty Mills (2x Runner Up & 2x 3rd) was in this bracket . 

Ty ends up winning this 2016 106 Semi State . 

A lot of things could of changed in this State Bracket if this Death Draw didn’t happen I believe.

Would Cayden be a 4x State Placer 💯

Would Cayden be a Semi Finalist that year 💯 

Would Cayden get his rematch that year 💯

Wish I had video of this Semi State match, anyone has it please DM me . 

2 hours ago, Grenadier2012 said:

2010 Evansville-112 Cody Kendle (Pike Central) over returning state runner up Dusty Kief (Franklin Community)

He nearly beat that barricade to death.

3 hours ago, Grenadier2012 said:

The Bethel vs Lee match was crazy! 

1 hour ago, KoontzDaddy said:

The Bethel vs Lee match was crazy! 

How did it end?  The TW scoring summary shows the score was 14-12 Bethel, but the last score it shows was a reversal by Brayton with :28 left.  Then has a Mt. Vernon Coach's misconduct at :15, the time of the fall. 

Bethel_Lee.gif

I personally had a ticket round match that was insane. I had 2 loses on the season and one of them came to my ticket round opponent. It was tied and went into overtime. He took a bad shot and I swung around for the TD. It was crazy cause I almost got beat in Semi-State and ended up placing in state. 

2 hours ago, nkraus said:

Who was that and from what schools ?

Bradbury Portage vs Birge Frankfort 

Birge was the returning state Champ, Bradbury was going to War with Alex Ramos every week. Bradbury lost to Ramos beat him for a regional title, setting up the match. Bradbury got the W, then went on to continue his rivalry to Ramos losing to him Under the lights.

11 hours ago, SWINfan said:

How did it end?  The TW scoring summary shows the score was 14-12 Bethel, but the last score it shows was a reversal by Brayton with :28 left.  Then has a Mt. Vernon Coach's misconduct at :15, the time of the fall. 

Bethel_Lee.gif

That was some outstanding entertainment. The match itself was wild & frantic, but the atmosphere inside the Ford Center during that match was even more electric than the match itself.

There had been a lot of buildup/smack talk on this board that week regarding the freshman phenom B. Lee & how he was going to knock off MD's sophomore phenom N. Lee.

Enter Austin Bethel who had 4 losses. I can't remember for sure but I believe at least 3 of those were to N. Lee. I'm guessing a Mt Vernon or MD alum can shed some light on that.

The roof came off at the conclusion of that match for it seemed the entire stadium was rooting for Bethel. I actually felt bad for Brayton for he was just a kid who had just had he hopes & dreams smashed & likely had nothing to do with the smack talk that week.

17 hours ago, TeamGarcia said:

2016- Evansville 106- Both Freshman 

Ticket Round 

At the time #1 Cayden Rooks vs. #8 Asa Garcia 

Future- 3x State Champ, 3rd vs. 2x State Champ, Runner Up 

1st 0-0 after 1st period 

2nd Cayden choose bottom 

1-0 Cayden escapes 

3rd Asa chooses bottom 

1-1 Asa escapes 

3-1 Asa takedown 

3-3 Cayden reversal with 6 seconds 

OT - draw 

OT2 - Cayden get rode out 

OT3 - Asa reversal +2 and +2 backs with 17 seconds 

Final 7-3 

Ty Mills (2x Runner Up & 2x 3rd) was in this bracket . 

Ty ends up winning this 2016 106 Semi State . 

A lot of things could of changed in this State Bracket if this Death Draw didn’t happen I believe.

Would Cayden be a 4x State Placer 💯

Would Cayden be a Semi Finalist that year 💯 

Would Cayden get his rematch that year 💯

Wish I had video of this Semi State match, anyone has it please DM me . 

I have video... your memory isn't quite how it went down.

14 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Bethel_Lee.gif

It was a fall.  What was the coaching misconduct about?

2 hours ago, SIACfan said:

That was some outstanding entertainment. The match itself was wild & frantic, but the atmosphere inside the Ford Center during that match was even more electric than the match itself.

There had been a lot of buildup/smack talk on this board that week regarding the freshman phenom B. Lee & how he was going to knock off MD's sophomore phenom N. Lee.

Enter Austin Bethel who had 4 losses. I can't remember for sure but I believe at least 3 of those were to N. Lee. I'm guessing a Mt Vernon or MD alum can shed some light on that.

The roof came off at the conclusion of that match for it seemed the entire stadium was rooting for Bethel. I actually felt bad for Brayton for he was just a kid who had just had he hopes & dreams smashed & likely had nothing to do with the smack talk that week.

There was a lot of pre-match smack talk.  No one in the SW corner of the state was shocked; Bethel was extremely dangerous.

17 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

My dad said this was the best Semi-State ticket round match ever. Is there video?

I was lucky enough to sit matside for that one, since Seymour hosted back then.  Sorry though no video to offer up.  I don’t recall it being the most dynamic ticket-round match ever, but the tension of what was at steak was there and pretty much the whole crowd was glued on that match.  

While a few people are posting state credentials from the years after their big ticket round match, what make this match so talked about still today was the fact Rossbottom was the prior years state champ at 145 and Jankowski was the prior years state runner-up at 140. Not to mention those results were both classes not heavily populated by underclassman.  Thus there were proven results before that moment for the crowd to hang on rather than the potential of what they would accomplish over the next year or two.  In the age those prior results before advance internet scouting and ranking, that was about as good of a picture of talent as you could get for rating the talent that was on the mat.

I do recall a huge crowd pop and the “did that just happen” feeding at the end of the Minton vs. Rosbottom Regional match. Although no one knew at the time it would put Rossbottom in the ticket round with Jankowski, you knew it wasn’t the assumed result and Rossbottom would likely ruin someone’s Regional champ from a state appearance.   

But to Minton credit he deserves more of a mention than just being named as the spoiler that set up this epic ticket round match.   As pointed out in another post Minton was one of the top competitor at the weight and you couldn’t never count out of a big match.  It’s worth noting he had placed 3rd in state the prior year (a few legendary names in that bracket) and then ended up placing 2nd in state that year to Rosbottom.   

Edited by MattM

2 hours ago, MattM said:

I was lucky enough to sit matside for that one, since Seymour hosted back then.  Sorry though no video to offer up.  I don’t recall it being the most dynamic ticket-round match ever, but the tension of what was at steak was there and pretty much the whole crowd was glued on that match.  

While a few people are posting state credentials from the years after their big ticket round match, what make this match so talked about still today was the fact Rossbottom was the prior years state champ at 145 and Jankowski was the prior years state runner-up at 140. Not to mention those results were both classes not heavily populated by underclassman.  Thus there were proven results before that moment for the crowd to hang on rather than the potential of what they would accomplish over the next year or two.  In the age those prior results before advance internet scouting and ranking, that was about as good of a picture of talent as you could get for rating the talent that was on the mat.

I do recall a huge crowd pop and the “did that just happen” feeling afterward at the end of the Minton vs. Rosbottom Regional match. Although no one knew then it for sure put Rossbottom in the ticket round with Jankowski.  But to Minton credit he deserves more of a mention than just being mentioned as the spoiler that set this ticket round match up.   As pointed out in another post Minton was one of the top competitor at the weight and you couldn’t never count out of a big match.  It’s worth noting he had placed 3rd in state the prior year (a few legendary names in that bracket) and then ended up placing 2nd in state that year to Rosbottom.   

Pinned his way to the finals at that, sticking legend and future state champ Napier who would Only become a 2x AA at UIndy!

Steve was absolutely ridiculous. He wrestled 140, 145 and 152 that year.  

Matt, I'm sure it was a typo, but Robert was the Champ at 135.

In that 3-man bracket you had

1st 135

2nd 140

3rd 145

Same year, Mitch Robb and Tanner Yates met in the round to go.  Yates was returning 4th and Robb was a returning SQ.  Mitch won the match and went on to win a State title.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.