Worst ticket round draws ever ?

Jayruss

2018 Tyce Freije vs Alex Mosconi

2020 Tyce Freije vs Bryer Hall

Unfortunately our guy came out on the losing end of those wars.  Mosconi was state runner up in 2018, Freije was sidelined the majority of the regular season due to injury that season and then went ahead and wrestled the postseason even though his hand needed surgically repaired.  Hall was state runner up in 2020.  Freije lost an overtime bout to Kervin at EMD Holiday Classic, and Kervin would go on to win state title over Hall in that exciting match.  Tyce won the NC Semi-State at 120 in 2017 and went on to finish 8th in the state, only state qualifying freshman in the weight class.   Tyce again won the semi-state in 2019 and went on to finish 4th at state at 138.  Bias, but if we were one of the 49 states that has wrestlebacks, then Freije would have likely been a 4x state medalist.   That’s how it goes though.   It’s a tough tournament, you have to win your matches. 

Edited by Wade McClurg

1 hour ago, ontherise219 said:

Bradbury Portage vs Birge Frankfort 

Birge was the returning state Champ, Bradbury was going to War with Alex Ramos every week. Bradbury lost to Ramos beat him for a regional title, setting up the match. Bradbury got the W, then went on to continue his rivalry to Ramos losing to him Under the lights. 

This is the OG bad draw for millennials. 

Chad Shepard, Western, previous state champ, v Eric Douglas, Valpo, that year’s runner-up

36 minutes ago, brickfor6 said:

Some recent ECC SS death draws

Triana (2x state placer) vs Cummings (2x state champ)

Colza (SQ) vs Lemley (placer)

Kleimola (champ) vs Davison (champ)

Fattore (2x placer) vs Malone (2x SQ)

Haskins (Q) vs Tolin (Q)

Moreno (placer) vs Rodriguez (3x Q)

Bates (Champ) vs LaPlace ( 2x placer)

Haskins (Q) vs Bettich (champ/placer)

Wow Kleimola va Davison!

Blake Rueger (Reitz) vs Ethan Farmer (Bloomington South?)

Blake was a FloNationals placer and ranked highly in state. Lots of people down in Evansville thought he would win that year. Farmer only had one lose and was also ranked pretty high if my memory is right. Farmer went on to win this match and place 5th at state. 

#2 Wesley Bernard (Cathedral) vs. #3 Georgio Blades (Warren Central)

• Bernard ended up winning 2-1 in the second tiebreaker

Tristen Tonte (Perry Meridian) vs. Ben Stewart (Cathedral)

• I don’t remember these two guys rankings, but I do remember the match. Tonte was the eventual 3x runner-up and Stewart was an eventual 2x medalist, placing top 4 as a junior and senior. Former teammates who both grew up in Perry’s program becoming rivals and Tristen turned a corner and beat Stewart for the second time that season.

#4 Zach Melloh (Cathedral) vs. #13 D.J. Brookbank (Perry Meridian)

• In what may have been the match of the year if not for Red/Lee the next weekend, Brookbank and Melloh had an all-out war. Melloh was the returning medalist and heavy favorite, beating Brookbank in their two prior meetings, including a senior night thriller that saw him win 7-6, but Brookbank unlocked something within himself and went after Melloh and defeated him 13-11. Brookbank would finish 7th that year.

13 hours ago, jmrichey119 said:

Matt Jaggers, New Castle vs Russel Smiley, Warren Central. Both returning SQ, Smiley had placed and was a returning SS champ.  

FCfighter might correct me but I believe Smiley was up 2-1 and jaggers hit a reversal or TD plus 2 NF and won 5-2, went on to win SS and take 5th. 

Matt had ost 2x prior iirc to smiley as well and smiley was never the same after that ticket round loss.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Ben Stewart vs Parris, Masons freshman year was brutal both highly ranked.. That match was a brawl and put a ton of ppl on notice.

Keith Garrard vs Schneider, then Strub the following year.. Losing by 2 to both and both placing runner and 4th..

Returning state placer Alex carton vs Kieffer

11 hours ago, hook and half said:

The Ferguson/Smith match was hard to watch.  Their were stalling calls along with numerous and sundry coaching complaints/time outs.  As I remember, it was a 1-2 point match.

Ferguson and Smith were great competitors and the bane of Mater Dei.  I'm not sure MD ever notched a win against either.

It was 7-5.  I had to go back and look it up.  I can't forget Ferguson's 1st Round match at State against Jeremiah Reitz.  Reitz was coming off a State Title and Ferguson was out most of the season until the tournament.  Ferguson started strong and was up 13-2 after the 2nd period, but ran out of gas in the 3rd.  Reitz outscored him 11-4 in the 3rd period as Ferguson's only points came on allowed escapes.  Final score Ferguson wins 17-13.  One of the best Friday night matches I can recall.

14 hours ago, maligned said:

Still the worst ever. #3 Minton upsets returning state champ and #1-ranked Rosbottom at regionals after Rosbottom had previously controlled him 3 or 4 times that year. #1 Rosbottom draws into #2 Jankowski. Rosbottom wins and goes on to beat Minton in the SS and state finals. If I remember right, Jankowski had teched Minton in their only meeting.

I lost to all three of those guys 🤣

19 minutes ago, Holden said:

I lost to all three of those guys 🤣

No shame in that. Rosbottom and Jankowski were national caliber and Minton was just a fearless animal that tossed everyone to their backs (including Rosbottom in that regional match). There were some other nice names at 145 at state that year, but Rosbottom and Minton steamrolled them into the final. Still a real shame to this day the state runner-up Jankowski couldn't be in that mix on the big stage.

30 minutes ago, maligned said:

No shame in that. Rosbottom and Jankowski were national caliber and Minton was just a fearless animal that tossed everyone to their backs (including Rosbottom in that regional match). There were some other nice names at 145 at state that year, but Rosbottom and Minton steamrolled them into the final. Still a real shame to this day the state runner-up Jankowski couldn't be in that mix on the big stage.

Rosbottom vs Debusk was a War Saturday morning in the Quarters. Debusk would go on to pin Jankowski at team state 

5 hours ago, GrecoCoach said:

Jimmy Schoettle (PM)

Ranked 3rd and wins his regional then draws Camden Eppert who lost to Brandon Wright at regionals. 

Beat me to it.  Eppert put Schoettle on his back in the first, was up 7-0, 8-0 before Schoettle got on the board.  Eppert won 11-4

8 hours ago, SWINfan said:

It was 7-5.  I had to go back and look it up.  I can't forget Ferguson's 1st Round match at State against Jeremiah Reitz.  Reitz was coming off a State Title and Ferguson was out most of the season until the tournament.  Ferguson started strong and was up 13-2 after the 2nd period, but ran out of gas in the 3rd.  Reitz outscored him 11-4 in the 3rd period as Ferguson's only points came on allowed escapes.  Final score Ferguson wins 17-13.  One of the best Friday night matches I can recall.

that was one, wild match.  half of me wanted ferg to hang on, the other half wanted to see the comeback.

5 hours ago, ontherise219 said:

Rosbottom vs Debusk was a War Saturday morning in the Quarters. Debusk would go on to pin Jankowski at team state 

Frank DeBusk put a stake in the heart of the Mater Dei nation.  The week before the match, Mike Goebel said, "I have heard that Hobart can hurt you in a street fight."

Many MD fans will tell you this was their greatest comeback.  Wrong!

In 1965, the 'Cats were down 21-0 against Franklin Central.  MD posted seven straight wins to close out the match a 31-21 victor.  

Edited by hook and half
fact check

6 hours ago, ontherise219 said:

So true..other than Rosbottom winning that one 15-10, he and Minton had 4 pins and a tech in their other 5 matches on the weekend before the final.

My vote goes to Carson Willis, but it's hard to pick which year was the worst. This kid should have been a multiple time state placer, but had a murderer's row of Ticket Rounds.  His case alone should be all you need to add wrestle backs.  

2018 - Ty Mills (2,3,2,3)
2017 - Graham Rooks (3,4,4,1)
2016 - Brock Hudkins (5,SQ,1,1)
2015 - Jacob Skaggs (SQ,8)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.