Worst ticket round draws ever ?

Jayruss

Bradbury Portage vs Birge Frankfort 

Birge was the returning state Champ, Bradbury was going to War with Alex Ramos every week. Bradbury lost to Ramos beat him for a regional title, setting up the match. Bradbury got the W, then went on to continue his rivalry to Ramos losing to him Under the lights. 

Somewhat biased but Jacob Simone last year (2020) vs Zeke Seltzer. One of Jake’s 3 losses (non inj forfeit) on the year was a 2-1 OT loss to eventual state runner up Carson Eldred the week prior for the championship at regionals. Anytime you’re drawing into a nationally ranked kid is brutal.

Matt Jaggers, New Castle vs Russel Smiley, Warren Central. Both returning SQ, Smiley had placed and was a returning SS champ.  

FCfighter might correct me but I believe Smiley was up 2-1 and jaggers hit a reversal or TD plus 2 NF and won 5-2, went on to win SS and take 5th. 

39 minutes ago, Jayruss said:

Hayhurst vs Watson plays into recency bias, but refresh me on worst draws than this? 

3 vs 8 is a tough one but not horrible. I think Watson would be a clear favorite. 

I would say Conway vs Rust would be a much closer match and a worse draw. 

Edited by Mattyb

5 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

I was going to suggest Tyler Fergusen 54-1 of Reitz vs. DJ Smith in 2013, but then noticed they had freaking wrestlebacks and there was no Ticket Round in 2013!  What they hell??  How did I forget that?

Yes that was when the IHSAA set up wrestleback.  However, it only to clearly determine a 5th place alternate and I believe to also establish more more clear team score.  It did not give those that lost in the ticket-round a chance to make it back to the 3/4 match.  

Edited by MattM

5 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Does Eli Dickens vs. Alex Mosconi in 2017 count?   I'd say yes.  

I was going to suggest Tyler Fergusen 54-1 of Reitz vs. DJ Smith in 2013, but then noticed they had freaking wrestlebacks and there was no Ticket Round in 2013!  What they hell??  How did I forget that?

They weren’t full Wrestle backs. Was just to 5th place. Fergusen took 5th at SS. 

22 minutes ago, Sutton047 said:

Somewhat biased but Jacob Simone last year (2020) vs Zeke Seltzer. One of Jake’s 3 losses (non inj forfeit) on the year was a 2-1 OT loss to eventual state runner up Carson Eldred the week prior for the championship at regionals. Anytime you’re drawing into a nationally ranked kid is brutal.

Jake also had split matches with 3rd placer Giovanni Diaz that year at IHPO. Basically only lost to numbers 1 and 2 then didn’t qualify because of our system.

25 minutes ago, Mattyb said:

3 vs 8 is a tough one but not horrible. I think Watson would be a clear favorite. 

I would say Conway vs Rust would be a much closer match and a worse draw. 

Rust is a state champ in Alaska and placer in Indiana. Conway is a place in Indiana. Terrible draw for both!  Center Grove with a tough draw with Rust and Watson.

Schuyler Phillips (Yorktown) and Forrest Glogouski (Fairfield) was a rough one both were ranked top 5 I believe and Phillips lost to LJ Mosier of South Adam’s in regional finals. I believe they also wrestled in the round to go to nationals at D2 regionals as well.

1 minute ago, Jstephenson1356 said:

Schuyler Phillips (Yorktown) and Forrest Glogouski (Fairfield) was a rough one both were ranked top 5 I believe and Phillips lost to LJ Mosier of South Adam’s in regional finals. I believe they also wrestled in the round to go to nationals at D2 regionals as well.

Wow forgot about this. Schulyer put it on him pretty good if I remember correctly.

1 hour ago, Silence Dogood said:

Rosbottom vs jankowski.

Still the worst ever. #3 Minton upsets returning state champ and #1-ranked Rosbottom at regionals after Rosbottom had previously controlled him 3 or 4 times that year. #1 Rosbottom draws into #2 Jankowski. Rosbottom wins and goes on to beat Minton in the SS and state finals. If I remember right, Jankowski had teched Minton in their only meeting.

Edited by maligned

1 hour ago, Silence Dogood said:

Rosbottom vs jankowski.

Three days before the semi state, Mike Goebel was on pins and needles.

“I can't even talk about it," said Goebel. "I've been a nervous wreck ever since I saw the pairings. They should be the ones wrestling for the State Title, but this means a great wrestler will be denied a trip to State."

Goebel’s anxiety was due to the semi state ticket round match looming between Dan Jankowski and Jeffersonville’s returning State Champion, Robert Rosbottom.  How in the world did it come to this?  Rosbottom (37-1), lost in the New Albany Regional final to Steve Minton of New Albany.  It was quite an upset as Rosbottom had defeated Minton in three previous encounters.   

"They'd had two close matches and one blowout," said Goebel. "But this time Minton got the takedown and back points and beat Rosbottom, 8-1."

Goebel’s anxiety would soon give way to frustration, disappointment and anger.  In the ticket round match, Rosbottom drew first blood, scoring a takedown in the first period.  Rosbottom was content to ride the balance of the period, never coming off of Jankowski’s hips.  He was warned for stalling.  Jankowski escaped in the second period.  Shot after shot was blocked by Rosbottom, no offensive attempts being made.  Wildcats fans were agitated.  A growing crescendo of grumbling emanated from the Red and Gold.  Jankowski cut Rossbottom in the third period.  Working from a 3-1 deficit, Jankowski could tie the match from his feet.  Jankowski immediately attacked.  Rossbottom was finally called by referee Jim Beeson for stalling with about a minute left to make it 3-2.  Jankowski continued a non-stop attack while Rossbottom continued to back up and block.  In spite of Goebel’s protestations harmonizing with an angry and howling Mater Dei throng, Beeson would not call another stalling penalty to force overtime.  Suffering one of the bitterest defeats in Mater Dei’s wrestling history, Dan Jankowski lost, 3-2.  In the third period, Jankowski took a staggering 18 shots compared to Rosbottom’s two.  In the loss, Jankowski was gracious.

“Rossbottom wrestled a smart match,” he said.  “I guess he did what he thought he would have to do to beat me.  I just wish there would have been more action.”

Mike Goebel took the loss and the events of the day pretty hard.

"When you look at taking six to State, that's good, but when you consider that Mater Dei didn't have a (semi state) champion for the first time in I can't remember when, it's tough.  Sometimes people take things for granted. They tend to forget how tough it is at this level."

1 hour ago, MattM said:

Yes that was when the IHSAA set up wrestleback.  However, it only to clearly determine a 5th place alternate and I believe to also establish more more clear team score.  It did not give those that lost in the ticket-round a chance to make it back to the 3/4 match.  

You're right.  I got so befuddled by the extra brackets I didn't notice they didn't go all the way to 3rd.  Fergusen finished 5th.  The loss to Smith was his only loss on the year, ending at 54-1

1 hour ago, SWINfan said:

Does Eli Dickens vs. Alex Mosconi in 2017 count?   I'd say yes.  

The Ferguson/Smith match was hard to watch.  Their were stalling calls along with numerous and sundry coaching complaints/time outs.  As I remember, it was a 1-2 point match.

Ferguson and Smith were great competitors and the bane of Mater Dei.  I'm not sure MD ever notched a win against either.

Some recent ECC SS death draws

Triana (2x state placer) vs Cummings (2x state champ)

Colza (SQ) vs Lemley (placer)

Kleimola (champ) vs Davison (champ)

Fattore (2x placer) vs Malone (2x SQ)

Haskins (Q) vs Tolin (Q)

Moreno (placer) vs Rodriguez (3x Q)

Bates (Champ) vs LaPlace ( 2x placer)

Haskins (Q) vs Bettich (champ/placer)

Edited by brickfor6

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.