East Chicago Semi-State Predictions

TysonNisley

I have a lot of homework to do tonight, but I'm also selfish and want to be the first one on here to make predictions, so that if some crazy upset happens, you guys can come back here and see that I, Tyson Nisley, called it, and get all of the credit for calling it. For these predictions, I'm just gonna make my top 4 picks, and then talk about my reasoning, as well as briefly discussing some juicy ticket round or even first round matches.

106: Bailey, Jackson, Cruz, Bennett

This weight class is owned by the #1 wrestler in the state at 106, Jeffrey Bailey, who has been dominating his way through sectionals and regionals. He will be tested a lot more in this semi-state, battling the #12 wrestler in the state, Johnny Cortez, in the ticket round, making one of the many death draws I will talk about in these predictions. I see #7 Ashton Jackson defeating #23 E'Shawn Tolbert, as he owns an 11-6 decision over him this season. In a very even matchup in the third quarter bracket, #15 Jake Stall and #20 Dylan Bennett will be throwing down to see who punches their ticket. I'll take the lower ranked Bennett in this matchup, because he is coming off of a dominant run through his regional bracket, while Stall took a rough loss against #8 SS Liam Siburcrist in the regional finals. I see Siburcrist meeting up against #22 Evan Cruz in the ticket round, but I think that his undefeated freshman season will end their, as Evan Cruz, a freshman himself, has looked very tough this year, and his 9 losses have all been close matches against quality opponents, including an overtime loss against Jeffrey Bailey. Could the freshman possibly avenge that loss in the semis? It's a #1 vs. a #22, but don't think for a second that Bailey is a lock.

113: Bahl, DeMarco, Denton, Bohn

Undefeated #12 Trevor Schammert will be taking on #10 Hayden DeMarco in a crazy ticket round match, and I think this will be the second undefeated wrestler that ends their season Saturday with a single loss. I can't be too confident in this pick, because Schammert has been at a high level for a while now, and DeMarco is coming off of a rough 9-1 loss to #9 Anthony Bahl, but I am sticking with DeMarco as of now. #21 Bryce Denton should make it through his quarter bracket quite easily, as well as #9 Anthony Bahl, who should most likely run into DeMarco in the finals to make an exciting regionals rematch. #7 SS Drake Fitz and #188 Chris Bohn will battle for the last spot, and I'll take Bohn as the winner of that match, but him and Denton should throw down for 3rd and 4th, which I think Denton should win.

120: Frazier, Lemley, Walker, Hennessey

Yup, I just did it. You all saw it here, after #2 Logan Frazier kept his match against #1 Sergio Lemley to a 3-2 decision, I no longer think that 120 is a lock, and I think that Frazier has what it takes to upset the nationally ranked Lemley. As for the 3rd and 4th place wrestlers, I see #17 Zar Walker winning his quarter bracket with not too much problems, although #9 SS Tristian Vaughn is a senior and won't go out without a fight against the talented freshman, I think that #8 SS Dylan Tom and #7 SS Nathaniel Hennessey will be a battle, but I expect Hennessey to come out on top. Not much more to say, besides that you better be ready for the #1 and #2 ranked wrestlers in the state to battle hard.

126: Hall, Vargo, Goin, Vitello

While I think the top 4 guys in this weight class are clear, I don't think that the order of the placements are at all. There are 4 top 10 ranked wrestlers in this weight class, and the order of these quarter brackets mean that a returning state placer is placing 3rd. On the top half of the bracket, you have #8 Matteo Vargo and #10 Stefan Vitello throwing down, and honestly, I could see this one going either way, but I'll stick to the rankings for now, although it should be noted that Vitello came into this tournament last year as a 4th place finisher at regionals, and stunned state ranked Ryan Purvis to eventually punch his ticket to the show, so maybe he'll upset another Penn kid. The bottom half of the bracket features in my opinion what should be the top 2 wrestlers in this weight class, with #5 Sam Goin and #6 Malik Hall. Sam Goin has been impressive at this weight class, but I see Malik Hall taking this semis match, and sending Goin to the third place match.

132: Roberson, Torres, Solomey, Harper

This weight class will continue to excite fans all the way to the state finals, and for good reason. The death draw of this weight class is #6 Jack Coyle and #10 Cole Solomey, in which both are returning state placers. One of these state placers will not be going to the Bank this year, and I am calling the upset with Solomey taking Coyle out. Hopefully, Solomey can return strong after being pinned first period at regionals to #3 Aidan Torres. Speaking of Torres, he and Roberson threw down many times last year, including semi-state last year, in which Roberson took the match in overtime. This is a very exciting rivalry, but if I'm not mistaken, Roberson has taken every single match, including their match at regionals just yesterday. I see Roberson continuing his winning streak, but of course, you never know. In the third quarter bracket, #24 Lakin Webb and #6 SS Wesley Harper will be throwing down, and I am gonna take Harper as the winner of that match, but I don't think that Harper will be able to compete with the other three qualifiers in this stacked weight class, but of course, you never know.

138: Mendez, Conrad, Alexander, Contreras

An unfortunate pairing for #5 Jace Alexander, he will have to see #1 Jesse Mendez in the semis, meaning that he will most likely take third place. On the top half of the bracket, you have two quality opponents throwing down in returning state qualifier #9 Bradley Conrad, and #22 Andrew Sinkovics. Sinkovics has struggled to make it back to this point after struggling with injuries for much of his high school career, but he is looking to finish his career with a trip to the Bank, and although Conrad is a tough wrestler, Sinkovics should not be overlooked either, as he is no stranger to beating quality opponents. #5 SS Ethan Contreras will be wrestling #9 SS Kyle Carter, and although I think it will be close, I think Contreras will have the upper hand, although he will meet an even tougher Bradley Conrad in the semis, and I see him wrestling for 3rd place against the #5 wrestler in the state.

145: Kaiser, Powell, Cornejo, Williams

With #4 Cody Goodwin out of the tournament, an extra slot has opened up for another potential qualifier. I think Ethan Kaiser is the clear winner here, although he has another returning state qualifier in #10 SS Trevor Triana, who qualified last year at 106. It seems like Triana has been struggling to adjust to this weight, but this match could be closer than you think if Triana manages to get hot by this Saturday. #3 SS Alex Cornejo will wrestle UR James Smith in the ticket round, but although Smith is unranked and has a negative wrestler, he is capable of shocking people with big upsets, as seen two years ago at Al Smith when he stuck Noah Hollendonner in only 13 seconds. #4 SS Cameron Powell and #9 SS Gunnar Krause will wrestle in the ticket round, and I expect Powell to win that matchup, eventually making his way into the finals. In the final quarter brakcet, there seems to be no clear winner, as #6 SS Braden Nuest is tough, but UR Joseph Williams has been wrestling tough as well, beating Triana in the semis at regionals. There are many lower ranked wrestlers in this weight class that have the potential to break through and qualify.

152: Estrada, Ellis, Pollitt, Ponce

Here's a weight class where we may see all 4 wrestlers from the Crown Point regional qualify for state. #16 Simeon Norton has a tough draw against #3 Javen Estrada, but it should be noted than Norton had a 6-4 match last year against another top 5 ranked Crown Point wrestler in Orlando Cruz, and should not be counted out just yet. That being said, Estrada is pretty good, and he stuck #6 Brock Ellis for the second time this season at regionals, and while I think a 3rd fall probably won't happen, I am predicting that the Crown Point Bulldog wins the matchup again. For 3rd and 4th place, I see #18 Aidan Pollitt, and #23 Isaiah Ponce wrestling, but Ponce does have #25 Keegan Adams in his quarter bracket, and he will have to focus on qualifying first.

160: Cruz, Salary, Steenbeke, Turley

There it is again, my LaPorte bias. But I really do think that #23 Jamaal Salary can make it all the way to the finals at semi-state, although he will have a tough road there. In the first round, he has #11 SS Christian Chavez, who has many losses on his record, but has also battled well with many high level wrestlers at this weight, and will not go out without a fight. In the ticket round, he will see #25 Connor Cervantes, in which Salary owns a 7-4 decision over this season. On the bottom quarter bracket, we see that #7 Tyler Turley and #9 SS Brandon Bolin will be throwing down, a match in which Bolin won by fall earlier in the season, so there's no reason to think that it won't happen again. Unfortunately, Turley has been dealing with an injury during this state run, and had to default to 4th at this past regional tournament, so we could see him default again if he qualifies, much like Joseph Walker did last year, or he may wrestle the tournament through, but regardless, you have to wonder if he will be in perfect form. On the top half of the bracket, you have #5 Orlando Cruz and #8 Aaron Steenbeke wrestling in the semis, and I think this match will be extremely exciting to watch, but give me Cruz to win this one. The winner of this match will probably be the winner of this semi-state.

170: Eastin, Sneed, Simpson, Linky

Lots of interesting matches in this weight class, including many really fun ticket round matches. The first one is #18 Aiden Sneed vs. #8 SS Jesse Herrera. Herrera is not very highly ranked, but has been wrestling extremely well against #8 Jacob Simpson, so he surely has the skills to make it through. Sneed has been very impressive this season however, and I see him really making a deep run this year. The next ticket round matchup is #23 Spencer Phillips vs. #7 SS and returning state qualifier Jacob Linky. While Spencer Phillips is state ranked and is undefeated on the year, I think Linky will pull through and take this one. Next, we have #2 Pate Eastin, who looks to win the whole thing this year, but #6 SS Cade Johnson is not an easy opponent either, and has traded matches with multiple high level opponents this year. Johnson won't go down easy. Lastly, Jacob Simpson wrestles #20 and returning state qualifier Nick Tattini, who proved last year to clutch matches he was not expected to win. Simpson is undefeated and on the mission this year, so I won't bet against him, but this weight class could see two returning state qualifiers going home early. Wild.

182: Layman, Timmerman, Kwiatkowski, Browder

While the first three quarter brackets seem to have a definite winner, the bottom quarter bracket has a tough group of wrestlers. You have first round matches #8 SS and regional champion Jacob Stepek and #17 Jaden Browder, who looks to bounce back after a 4th place performance at regionals. On the bottom, you have #24 Stenberg and #9 SS Brandon Estepp, who look to fight for their spot in the ticket round. I see Browder and Estepp as the wrestlers to battle in the ticket round, and while both are capable of qualifying, I think Browder will get it done here. Unfortunately, he will see #4 Gavin Layman in the semis, who has looked almost untouchable this year. On the top half of the bracket, we have a top 8 matchup in #5 Cody Timmerman and #8 Colin Kwiatkowski. Both are very strong wrestlers, but I think that Timmerman will have the upper hand here, although he'll have another challenge when he meets Layman in the finals.

195: Pack, Grange, DeMarco, Cheeks

Wow. In possibly the worst death draw in the state, we have #3 Connor Barket vs. #5 Juan Grange. Barket hasn't lost yet this season, while Grange owns a single loss to #1 Eli Pack. But wow, that win was most definitely a dominant one, as many people questioned if Pack deserved to be #1, with no significant wins on his record this season. However, in his showdown at regionals against Grange, he showed everyone why he was #1 in the state, beating Grange 14-2. I'm looking for Grange to bounce back this weekend and pull the upset against Barket, but Pack is another story as of now. DeMarco should breeze into the semis, but he will have a tall task ahead of him, whoever he ends up wrestling there. In the quarter bracket without a state ranked wrestler, I think #7 SS Daeveon Cheeks will make it through, although I can't imagine him placing more than 4th in such a stacked weight class.

220: Bates, Streck, Raub, Kendall

#1 Evan Bates is someone many consider to be a lock, but we will see for sure when he is tested this weekend by #3 Jason Streck in the finals. #12 Jacob Raub should have no problem getting to the semis, but with Streck in his way, it will be difficult for him to break through into the finals. In the last quarter bracket, #6 SS Peyton Kendall and #11 SS Trey White will battle for the last ticket to the Bank. I think that Kendall will win this matchup, where he will meet with Bates in the semis. Raub and Kendall will most likely wrestle for 4th, in which I see Raub winning, although Peyton has been ranked as high as 14th (I think) this season, so he will not go down easy.

285: Whitenack, Donati, Omonode, Decker

I made another bold prediction, I know, but I think #10 SS Brock Donati is a dark horse in this weight class and is ranked far too low. It could be that I am still salty about dropping a ticket round match to a Lafayette Jefferson wrestler my junior year (I most definitely am salty about it) but I think Donati will pull the upset over #11 Kayden Sowders. Donati will wrestle #13 Edgar Decker in the semis, and I expect Donati to win that one as well. On the top half of the bracket, we have a top 8 matchup with #8 Mariere Omonode and #6 Hunter Whitenack, but I think that Whitenack will get the job done here and advance to the finals, where he should beat whoever he faces there.

That's all I got, after two hours of writing up something on Indianamat, I should probably get started on homework or go on a run. Feel free to argue my picks.

Edited by TysonNisley

33 minutes ago, CoachM said:

No love at all for the Logansport Regional, only getting 4 through? I'll take the over

Paging the @unknown wrestler!!! Aahh the memories.

to stay on topic. I support the Logansport regional! However I do not think this is their year...again.

Edited by UncleJimmy

2 hours ago, TrojanPinchyGuy said:

Great write-up Tyson!  Appreciate your thoughts and well written reviews.  Just make sure your gettin’ that homework completed on time.😉

You only say great write up because he picked Demarco over Scham-bam, but it’s all good cuz Tyson is a good kid who worked hard in the RTC room. 

D182397B-1F87-4CF5-A269-AF90E32451DB.jpeg

Sorry coach lol, I only have DeMarco because I chose him as my dark horse in my last write up, and I have to stay true to what I predicted. If I change my predictions as I see the draws, then I can't call them much of predictions. Miss practicing in the Hobart room though, lots of fun times in there.

@Jcjcjc@TrojanPinchyGuyI’m with cook , I seen schammert at the sectional and regional . He may not put up a bunch of points or win the prettiest way  . But he stays in good position and is pretty big for the weight , and demarco appears to struggle with the bigger 113’s. My moneys on schammert . He doesn’t get enough love, al smith finalist, and multiple sectional and regional championships under his belt 

28 minutes ago, Ingotdad37 said:

@Jcjcjc@TrojanPinchyGuyI’m with cook , I seen schammert at the sectional and regional . He may not put up a bunch of points or win the prettiest way  . But he stays in good position and is pretty big for the weight , and demarco appears to struggle with the bigger 113’s. My moneys on schammert . He doesn’t get enough love, al smith finalist, and multiple sectional and regional championships under his belt 

haha Jeffrey told me you would comment on this post soon enough. And yeah I agree that Schammert is a very good wrestler, however, they have two common opponents this season, the first being Denton, who they both beat 5-2, and Cortez, who DeMarco defeated handily in an 8-2 decision, while Schammert won in a close 3-2 match. Obviously, these don't mean too much, but it should show that the margin between these two is razor thin. I just have been impressed a little more with DeMarco and would like to see if he can make even more noise this season.

Also I think Justin sawyer has enough to get that 4 spot at 195 , a medal maybe far fetched but him qualifying is for seeable from what I seen . Also you don’t think Cervantes can qualify ofc a hard go with Jamal salary and an even harder go with a former number 1 in Turley and then Orlando cruz after that will be interesting!!

15 hours ago, UncleJimmy said:

Paging the @unknown wrestler!!! Aahh the memories.

to stay on topic. I support the Logansport regional! However I do not think this is their year...again.

@devildog47959 would have had a least 10 guys coming through the Logansport Regional.   I miss the good ole days when the Logansport regional at least had a strong presence on Indianamat.    But 4 seems like a low number. Ill add Its harder to predict this year with so  fewer big matchups due to Covid schedule curtailments   Logansport averages 6 or 7 traditionally.,  Is this year different?

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

18 hours ago, TysonNisley said:

I have a lot of homework to do tonight, but I'm also selfish and want to be the first one on here to make predictions, so that if some crazy upset happens, you guys can come back here and see that I, Tyson Nisley, called it, and get all of the credit for calling it. For these predictions, I'm just gonna make my top 4 picks, and then talk about my reasoning, as well as briefly discussing some juicy ticket round or even first round matches.

106: Bailey, Jackson, Cruz, Bennett

This weight class is owned by the #1 wrestler in the state at 106, Jeffrey Bailey, who has been dominating his way through sectionals and regionals. He will be tested a lot more in this semi-state, battling the #12 wrestler in the state, Johnny Cortez, in the ticket round, making one of the many death draws I will talk about in these predictions. I see #7 Ashton Jackson defeating #23 E'Shawn Tolbert, as he owns an 11-6 decision over him this season. In a very even matchup in the third quarter bracket, #15 Jake Stall and #20 Dylan Bennett will be throwing down to see who punches their ticket. I'll take the lower ranked Bennett in this matchup, because he is coming off of a dominant run through his regional bracket, while Stall took a rough loss against #8 SS Liam Siburcrist in the regional finals. I see Siburcrist meeting up against #22 Evan Cruz in the ticket round, but I think that his undefeated freshman season will end their, as Evan Cruz, a freshman himself, has looked very tough this year, and his 9 losses have all been close matches against quality opponents, including an overtime loss against Jeffrey Bailey. Could the freshman possibly avenge that loss in the semis? It's a #1 vs. a #22, but don't think for a second that Bailey is a lock.

113: Bahl, DeMarco, Denton, Bohn

Undefeated #12 Trevor Schammert will be taking on #10 Hayden DeMarco in a crazy ticket round match, and I think this will be the second undefeated wrestler that ends their season Saturday with a single loss. I can't be too confident in this pick, because Schammert has been at a high level for a while now, and DeMarco is coming off of a rough 9-1 loss to #9 Anthony Bahl, but I am sticking with DeMarco as of now. #21 Bryce Denton should make it through his quarter bracket quite easily, as well as #9 Anthony Bahl, who should most likely run into DeMarco in the finals to make an exciting regionals rematch. #7 SS Drake Fitz and #188 Chris Bohn will battle for the last spot, and I'll take Bohn as the winner of that match, but him and Denton should throw down for 3rd and 4th, which I think Denton should win.

120: Frazier, Lemley, Walker, Hennessey

Yup, I just did it. You all saw it here, after #2 Logan Frazier kept his match against #1 Sergio Lemley to a 3-2 decision, I no longer think that 120 is a lock, and I think that Frazier has what it takes to upset the nationally ranked Lemley. As for the 3rd and 4th place wrestlers, I see #17 Zar Walker winning his quarter bracket with not too much problems, although #9 SS Tristian Vaughn is a senior and won't go out without a fight against the talented freshman, I think that #8 SS Dylan Tom and #7 SS Nathaniel Hennessey will be a battle, but I expect Hennessey to come out on top. Not much more to say, besides that you better be ready for the #1 and #2 ranked wrestlers in the state to battle hard.

126: Hall, Vargo, Goin, Vitello

While I think the top 4 guys in this weight class are clear, I don't think that the order of the placements are at all. There are 4 top 10 ranked wrestlers in this weight class, and the order of these quarter brackets mean that a returning state placer is placing 3rd. On the top half of the bracket, you have #8 Matteo Vargo and #10 Stefan Vitello throwing down, and honestly, I could see this one going either way, but I'll stick to the rankings for now, although it should be noted that Vitello came into this tournament last year as a 4th place finisher at regionals, and stunned state ranked Ryan Purvis to eventually punch his ticket to the show, so maybe he'll upset another Penn kid. The bottom half of the bracket features in my opinion what should be the top 2 wrestlers in this weight class, with #5 Sam Goin and #6 Malik Hall. Sam Goin has been impressive at this weight class, but I see Malik Hall taking this semis match, and sending Goin to the third place match.

132: Roberson, Torres, Solomey, Harper

This weight class will continue to excite fans all the way to the state finals, and for good reason. The death draw of this weight class is #6 Jack Coyle and #10 Cole Solomey, in which both are returning state placers. One of these state placers will not be going to the Bank this year, and I am calling the upset with Solomey taking Coyle out. Hopefully, Solomey can return strong after being pinned first period at regionals to #3 Aidan Torres. Speaking of Torres, he and Roberson threw down many times last year, including semi-state last year, in which Roberson took the match in overtime. This is a very exciting rivalry, but if I'm not mistaken, Roberson has taken every single match, including their match at regionals just yesterday. I see Roberson continuing his winning streak, but of course, you never know. In the third quarter bracket, #24 Lakin Webb and #6 SS Wesley Harper will be throwing down, and I am gonna take Harper as the winner of that match, but I don't think that Harper will be able to compete with the other three qualifiers in this stacked weight class, but of course, you never know.

138: Mendez, Conrad, Alexander, Contreras

An unfortunate pairing for #5 Jace Alexander, he will have to see #1 Jesse Mendez in the semis, meaning that he will most likely take third place. On the top half of the bracket, you have two quality opponents throwing down in returning state qualifier #9 Bradley Conrad, and #22 Andrew Sinkovics. Sinkovics has struggled to make it back to this point after struggling with injuries for much of his high school career, but he is looking to finish his career with a trip to the Bank, and although Conrad is a tough wrestler, Sinkovics should not be overlooked either, as he is no stranger to beating quality opponents. #5 SS Ethan Contreras will be wrestling #9 SS Kyle Carter, and although I think it will be close, I think Contreras will have the upper hand, although he will meet an even tougher Bradley Conrad in the semis, and I see him wrestling for 3rd place against the #5 wrestler in the state.

145: Kaiser, Powell, Cornejo, Williams

With #4 Cody Goodwin out of the tournament, an extra slot has opened up for another potential qualifier. I think Ethan Kaiser is the clear winner here, although he has another returning state qualifier in #10 SS Trevor Triana, who qualified last year at 106. It seems like Triana has been struggling to adjust to this weight, but this match could be closer than you think if Triana manages to get hot by this Saturday. #3 SS Alex Cornejo will wrestle UR James Smith in the ticket round, but although Smith is unranked and has a negative wrestler, he is capable of shocking people with big upsets, as seen two years ago at Al Smith when he stuck Noah Hollendonner in only 13 seconds. #4 SS Cameron Powell and #9 SS Gunnar Krause will wrestle in the ticket round, and I expect Powell to win that matchup, eventually making his way into the finals. In the final quarter brakcet, there seems to be no clear winner, as #6 SS Braden Nuest is tough, but UR Joseph Williams has been wrestling tough as well, beating Triana in the semis at regionals. There are many lower ranked wrestlers in this weight class that have the potential to break through and qualify.

152: Estrada, Ellis, Pollitt, Ponce

Here's a weight class where we may see all 4 wrestlers from the Crown Point regional qualify for state. #16 Simeon Norton has a tough draw against #3 Javen Estrada, but it should be noted than Norton had a 6-4 match last year against another top 5 ranked Crown Point wrestler in Orlando Cruz, and should not be counted out just yet. That being said, Estrada is pretty good, and he stuck #6 Brock Ellis for the second time this season at regionals, and while I think a 3rd fall probably won't happen, I am predicting that the Crown Point Bulldog wins the matchup again. For 3rd and 4th place, I see #18 Aidan Pollitt, and #23 Isaiah Ponce wrestling, but Ponce does have #25 Keegan Adams in his quarter bracket, and he will have to focus on qualifying first.

160: Cruz, Salary, Steenbeke, Turley

There it is again, my LaPorte bias. But I really do think that #23 Jamaal Salary can make it all the way to the finals at semi-state, although he will have a tough road there. In the first round, he has #11 Christian Chavez, who has many losses on his record, but has also battled well with many high level wrestlers at this weight, and will not go out without a fight. In the ticket round, he will see #25 Connor Cervantes, in which Salary owns a 7-4 decision over this season. On the bottom quarter bracket, we see that #7 Tyler Turley and #9 SS Brandon Bolin will be throwing down, a match in which Bolin won by fall earlier in the season, so there's no reason to think that it won't happen again. Unfortunately, Turley has been dealing with an injury during this state run, and had to default to 4th at this past regional tournament, so we could see him default again if he qualifies, much like Joseph Walker did last year, or he may wrestle the tournament through, but regardless, you have to wonder if he will be in perfect form. On the top half of the bracket, you have #5 Orlando Cruz and #8 Aaron Steenbeke wrestling in the semis, and I think this match will be extremely exciting to watch, but give me Cruz to win this one. The winner of this match will probably be the winner of this semi-state.

170: Eastin, Sneed, Simpson, Linky

Lots of interesting matches in this weight class, including many really fun ticket round matches. The first one is #18 Aiden Sneed vs. #8 SS Jesse Herrera. Herrera is not very highly ranked, but has been wrestling extremely well against #8 Jacob Simpson, so he surely has the skills to make it through. Sneed has been very impressive this season however, and I see him really making a deep run this year. The next ticket round matchup is #23 Spencer Phillips vs. #7 SS and returning state qualifier Jacob Linky. While Spencer Phillips is state ranked and is undefeated on the year, I think Linky will pull through and take this one. Next, we have #2 Pate Eastin, who looks to win the whole thing this year, but #6 SS Cade Johnson is not an easy opponent either, and has traded matches with multiple high level opponents this year. Johnson won't go down easy. Lastly, Jacob Simpson wrestles #20 and returning state qualifier Nick Tattini, who proved last year to clutch matches he was not expected to win. Simpson is undefeated and on the mission this year, so I won't bet against him, but this weight class could see two returning state qualifiers going home early. Wild.

182: Layman, Timmerman, Kwiatkowski, Browder

While the first three quarter brackets seem to have a definite winner, the bottom quarter bracket has a tough group of wrestlers. You have first round matches #8 SS and regional champion Jacob Stepek and #17 Jaden Browder, who looks to bounce back after a 4th place performance at regionals. On the bottom, you have #24 Stenberg and #9 SS Brandon Estepp, who look to fight for their spot in the ticket round. I see Browder and Estepp as the wrestlers to battle in the ticket round, and while both are capable of qualifying, I think Browder will get it done here. Unfortunately, he will see #4 Gavin Layman in the semis, who has looked almost untouchable this year. On the top half of the bracket, we have a top 8 matchup in #5 Cody Timmerman and #8 Colin Kwiatkowski. Both are very strong wrestlers, but I think that Timmerman will have the upper hand here, although he'll have another challenge when he meets Layman in the finals.

195: Pack, Grange, DeMarco, Cheeks

Wow. In possibly the worst death draw in the state, we have #3 Connor Barket vs. #5 Juan Grange. Barket hasn't lost yet this season, while Grange owns a single loss to #1 Eli Pack. But wow, that win was most definitely a dominant one, as many people questioned if Pack deserved to be #1, with no significant wins on his record this season. However, in his showdown at regionals against Grange, he showed everyone why he was #1 in the state, beating Grange 14-2. I'm looking for Grange to bounce back this weekend and pull the upset against Barket, but Pack is another story as of now. DeMarco should breeze into the semis, but he will have a tall task ahead of him, whoever he ends up wrestling there. In the quarter bracket without a state ranked wrestler, I think #7 SS Daeveon Cheeks will make it through, although I can't imagine him placing more than 4th in such a stacked weight class.

220: Bates, Streck, Raub, Kendall

#1 Evan Bates is someone many consider to be a lock, but we will see for sure when he is tested this weekend by #3 Jason Streck in the finals. #12 Jacob Raub should have no problem getting to the semis, but with Streck in his way, it will be difficult for him to break through into the finals. In the last quarter bracket, #6 SS Peyton Kendall and #11 SS Trey White will battle for the last ticket to the Bank. I think that Kendall will win this matchup, where he will meet with Bates in the semis. Raub and Kendall will most likely wrestle for 4th, in which I see Raub winning, although Peyton has been ranked as high as 14th (I think) this season, so he will not go down easy.

285: Whitenack, Donati, Omonode, Decker

I made another bold prediction, I know, but I think #10 SS Brock Donati is a dark horse in this weight class and is ranked far too low. It could be that I am still salty about dropping a ticket round match to a Lafayette Jefferson wrestler my junior year (I most definitely am salty about it) but I think Donati will pull the upset over #11 Kayden Sowders. Donati will wrestle #13 Edgar Decker in the semis, and I expect Donati to win that one as well. On the top half of the bracket, we have a top 8 matchup with #8 Mariere Omonode and #6 Hunter Whitenack, but I think that Whitenack will get the job done here and advance to the finals, where he should beat whoever he faces there.

That's all I got, after two hours of writing up something on Indianamat, I should probably get started on homework or go on a run. Feel free to argue my picks.

Dont count out Jacob Stepek at 182 hes been on a tear lately stepping up after his loss at sectionals he ran through everyone at Regionals should be a good match with Browder

16 hours ago, TysonNisley said:

Sorry coach lol, I only have DeMarco because I chose him as my dark horse in my last write up, and I have to stay true to what I predicted. If I change my predictions as I see the draws, then I can't call them much of predictions. Miss practicing in the Hobart room though, lots of fun times in there.

All good, buddy; it's great reading material. I miss seeing you in the RTC room. I don't miss seeing you from the opposing corner. 

I'm just giving the Pinchy Cheese guys some gruff. 

22 hours ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

would have had a least 10 guys coming through the Logansport Regional.   I miss the good ole days when the Logansport regional at least had a strong presence on Indianamat.    But 4 seems like a low number. Ill add Its harder to predict this year with so  fewer big matchups due to Covid schedule curtailments   Logansport averages 6 or 7 traditionally.,  Is this year different?

I would think 4 seems low as well. Seems quite a few of the kids have decent paths. I would agree somewhere in the 7 area.

Great write up Tyson! I know the amount of time a write if that quality takes and I appreciate it. Lots of exciting matches as always 

1. Bailey River forest 
  2. Ashton Jackson Laporte 
  3. Cruz CP 
  4. Bennett penn

1. Bahl CP 
  2. Schammert Hobart 
  3. Bohn Munster 
  4. Denton penn 

1. Lemley Chesterton 
  2. Frazier crown point 
  3. Walker Mishawaka 
  4. Tom Wawassee 

1. Hall Merrillville 
  2. Vitello Valpo
  3. Goin CP 
  4. Varga penn

1. Roberson Cp 
  2. Torres Chesterton 
  3. Coyle portage 
  4. Webb Rensselaer 

1. Mendez cp
  2. Conrad portage 
  3. Alexander wawasee 
  4. Contreas Chesterton 

1. Kaiser Chester 
  2. Powell Mishawaka 
  3. Cornejo portage 
  4. Nuast west central 

1. Estrada cp 
  2. Ellis Chesterton 
  3. Politt Valpo 
  4. Carter Merrillville 

1. Cruz cp 
  2. Salary Laporte 
  3. Steenbeke penn
  4. Bolin Chesterton

(Turley in the mix if wrestling) 

1. Eastin penn 
  2. Phillips McCutcheon 
  3. Simpson Hobart 
  4. Sneed Kankakee valley 

1. Layman Chesterton 
  2. Timmerman Mishawaka 
  3. Kwitkowski Valpo 
  4. Browder Laporte 

1. Pack cma 
  2. Barket WL 
  3. Demarco Chesterton 
  4. Cheaks Lafayette jeff

1. Bates Chesterton 
  2. Streck Merrillville 
  3. Kendall penn 
  4. Raub Lafayette jeff 

1. Whitensck new prairie 
  2. Sowders jeff 
  3. Omonde WL 
  4. Decker Gavit 

@Wrestling Scholar I got 7 going from Logansport. It must be cold out here in the region when I am defending Logansport 

46 minutes ago, ontherise219 said:

Great write up Tyson! I know the amount of time a write if that quality takes and I appreciate it. Lots of exciting matches as always 

1. Bailey River forest 
  2. Ashton Jackson Laporte 
  3. Cruz CP 
  4. Bennett penn

1. Bahl CP 
  2. Schammert Hobart 
  3. Bohn Munster 
  4. Denton penn 

1. Lemley Chesterton 
  2. Frazier crown point 
  3. Walker Mishawaka 
  4. Tom Wawassee 

1. Hall Merrillville 
  2. Vitello Valpo
  3. Goin CP 
  4. Varga penn

1. Roberson Cp 
  2. Torres Chesterton 
  3. Coyle portage 
  4. Webb Rensselaer 

1. Mendez cp
  2. Conrad portage 
  3. Alexander wawasee 
  4. Contreas Chesterton 

1. Kaiser Chester 
  2. Powell Mishawaka 
  3. Cornejo portage 
  4. Nuast west central 

1. Estrada cp 
  2. Ellis Chesterton 
  3. Politt Valpo 
  4. Carter Merrillville 

1. Cruz cp 
  2. Salary Laporte 
  3. Steenbeke penn
  4. Bolin Chesterton

(Turley in the mix if wrestling) 

1. Eastin penn 
  2. Phillips McCutcheon 
  3. Simpson Hobart 
  4. Sneed Kankakee valley 

1. Layman Chesterton 
  2. Timmerman Mishawaka 
  3. Kwitkowski Valpo 
  4. Browder Laporte 

1. Pack cma 
  2. Barket WL 
  3. Demarco Chesterton 
  4. Cheaks Lafayette jeff

1. Bates Chesterton 
  2. Streck Merrillville 
  3. Kendall penn 
  4. Raub Lafayette jeff 

1. Whitensck new prairie 
  2. Sowders jeff 
  3. Omonde WL 
  4. Decker Gavit 

@Wrestling Scholar I got 7 going from Logansport. It must be cold out here in the region when I am defending Logansport 

Mike,  Im counting 8 from Logansport in your picks.   That would be a windfall year for Logansport. Whats going on here? Is the  Cold air or are those steel mills  in the  Region emitting that clean air.  Id really be surprised with 8.  6 is real, 7 would be good.   If they get 8, @Region Rat would  have that "Whats happening to the neighborhood" look and would blame  the refs or covid.   But  i can  see from your perspective, the rankings are much more difficult thie year with less certainty because most of the Lafayette area (everybody else)  cancelled a big chunk of their schedules this year, especially the big tournaments like the Tom Cameron and Harvest Connersville, Etc.  I  think you're mostly right,  but the 106 little guy Logansport kids  are solid with Siburcrist and Stall  creating problems for Cruz and Bennett.  I could see one of these guys getting through and at least provide some ticket round drama. 

11 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Mike,  Im counting 8 from Logansport in your picks.   That would be a windfall year for Logansport. Whats going on here? Is the  Cold air or are those steel mills  in the  Region emitting that clean air.  Id really be surprised with 8.  6 is real, 7 would be good.   If they get 8, @Region Rat would  have that "Whats happening to the neighborhood" look and would blame  the refs or covid.   But  i can  see from your perspective, the rankings are much more difficult this year with less certainty because most of the Lafayette area (everybody else)  cancelled a big chunk of their schedules this year, especially the big tournaments like the Tom Cameron and Harvest Connersville, Etc.  I  think you're mostly right,  but the 106 little guy Logansport kids  are solid with Siburcrist and Stall  creating problems for Cruz and Bennett.  I could see one of these guys getting through and at least provide some ticket round drama.   Im also worried about the Harrison state qualifier streak.   They might be in trouble,   but  I do think Hood at 152 is underrated and might surprise and is their best chance.

22 hours ago, Jcjcjc said:

All good, buddy; it's great reading material. I miss seeing you in the RTC room. I don't miss seeing you from the opposing corner. 

I'm just giving the Pinchy Cheese guys some gruff. 

On behalf of Pinchy Guy and all of Cheese Nation, we will not be accepting any Brickie Gruff.   

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.