Semi-State death draws

BrodyHardcastle

Just now, Wrestlingfan937 said:

Linser is a solid wrestler! What a hard draw

Sure is! He's going to make some noise in the coming years. His only losses this year were to Driver from Westfield, Cade from Southmont and Stanfield from Zionsville. Tye was winning the Zionsville match but got stuck late in the 3rd when trying to roll through. His Regional loss to Cade was 3-2 and was contested because Cade may have been awarded a takedown after the clock expired. Tye was up 2-1 before that. Tough break, but it is what it is..Cade is solid too. Really strong and will get better with experience. 

Speaking of crap draws, here are a few 1st Round tough draws and interesting matches at the Jasper/Evansville SS....

1. @106 Zane Schreck vs. Blake Zirklebach - Winner likely draws Jackson Heaston in the ticket round.  Whoever gets to the Semifinal will have earned it!

2. @126 I see 3 interesting 1st round matches, 2 are rematches from earlier in the year.
- Memorial's Keegan Williams will look to avenge a 5-0 loss to New Albany's Paul King in a 1-4 matchup.  
- Harrison's Kaliq Boyd owns a 7-4 win over Tell City's Brayden Lain.  Can he do it again?
- MD's Jacob Pierre will look to avoid early elimination as an underdog against Edgewood's Cash Turner.  

3. @138 the bracket is loaded with top talent, with 4 of the top 6 in the State.  Unfortunately, two of those will square off in round 1.  Ben Davis Diesel Duncan will face Delaney Ruhlman from Bloomington South.  

4. Can't consider these bad draws, but two interesting matches at 152 nonetheless. 
- Ev. Central's Luke Robards will face off against Jasper's Jeb Prechtel.  Both tough wrestlers.
- Undefeated Ben Phillips from Charlestown squares off against Logan Carrington of Greencastle.  Could we see a 4 over 1 here?

5. @195 2 1st round matchups will send a solid wrestler home. 
- Harris Eason should be favored over Mt. Vernon's Blake Ritzert, but Ritzert won't be an easy out.  
- Another favorite from the Mooresville Regional will be Avon's Ke'Shawn Dickens over Mater Dei's Clay Martin.  Martin is sneaky good, but hasn't been able to solve NP's Wyatt Willman the last 2 weeks.  Don't sleep in Martin, but he'll have to start the day off with an upset.

6. Mater Dei's James Ralph has improved immensely this year @285 and is a Regional Champion.  But his reward is State 5th Ranked Jacob Johnson of Franklin Community. Ralph will have an uphill battle to qualify for State.  Johnson beat Ralph 2-1 in the 2019 Mater Dei Holiday Classic in the 3rd Place Match.  

Edited by SWINfan

19 hours ago, CED said:

Sure is! He's going to make some noise in the coming years. His only losses this year were to Driver from Westfield, Cade from Southmont and Stanfield from Zionsville. Tye was winning the Zionsville match but got stuck late in the 3rd when trying to roll through. His Regional loss to Cade was 3-2 and was contested because Cade may have been awarded a takedown after the clock expired. Tye was up 2-1 before that. Tough break, but it is what it is..Cade is solid too. Really strong and will get better with experience. 

I think I missed something. Where are you getting the info on who’s got who? I can’t find the brackets for NC anywhere 

7 minutes ago, Sutton047 said:

I think I missed something. Where are you getting the info on who’s got who? I can’t find the brackets for NC anywhere 

It's in the main page under the Semi-state information center article. Here you go...Track Wrestling releases them tomorrow or Wednesday I think.

https://indianamat.com/brackets/2021/NewCastleSS.pdf

Edited by CED

20 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Speaking of crap draws, here are a few 1st Round tough draws and interesting matches at the Jasper/Evansville SS....

1. @106 Zane Schreck vs. Blake Zirklebach - Winner likely draws Jackson Heaston in the ticket round.  Whoever gets to the Semifinal will have earned it!

2. @126 I see 3 interesting 1st round matches, 2 are rematches from earlier in the year.
- Memorial's Keegan Williams will look to avenge a 5-0 loss to New Albany's Paul King in a 1-4 matchup.  
- Harrison's Kaliq Boyd owns a 7-4 win over Tell City's Brayden Lain.  Can he do it again?
- MD's Jacob Pierre will look to avoid early elimination as an underdog against Edgewood's Cash Turner.  

3. @138 the bracket is loaded with top talent, with 4 of the top 6 in the State.  Unfortunately, two of those will square off in round 1.  Ben Davis Diesel Duncan will face Delaney Ruhlman from Bloomington South.  

4. Can't consider these bad draws, but two interesting matches at 152 nonetheless. 
- Ev. Central's Luke Robards will face off against Jasper's Jeb Prechtel.  Both tough wrestlers.
- Undefeated Ben Phillips from Charlestown squares off against Logan Carrington of Greencastle.  Could we see a 4 over 1 here?

- Harris Eason should be favored over Mt. Vernon's Blake Ritzert, but Ritzert won't be an easy out.  
- Another favorite from the Mooresville Regional will be Avon's Ke'Shawn Dickens over Mater Dei's Clay Martin.  Martin is sneaky good, but hasn't been able to solve NP's Wyatt Willman the last 2 weeks.  Don't sleep in Martin, but he'll have to start the day off with an upset.

6. Mater Dei's James Ralph has improved immensely this year @285 and is a Regional Champion.  But his reward is State 5th Ranked Jacob Johnson of Franklin Community. Ralph will have an uphill battle to qualify for State.  Johnson beat Ralph 2-1 in the 2019 Mater Dei Holiday Classic in the 3rd Place Match.  

I really think Phillips is on a different level this year. He just majored a REALLY tough Tyler Williams that lost to Rust 9-7. And he beat state 4th in state last year Jordan Fulks 8-2.  Not saying he can't lose but saying he is really looking good. Also his teammate Colin Knox got one of if not the worst draw in the state. He is undefeated and lost in ticket round last year in a tough match. He has to get thru Ruhlman. Although i dont think there is no way that is gonna happen i think there should be more talk about this death draw. My buddy Adam Doherty has done a nice job with a small school and has a few shots at some wrestlers punching their ticket. 

23 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Looking at the SS here, one thing that stands out to me is the draws for Tell City. 
Many of their wrestlers come in with some solid W/L records and most of them draw into a tough 1st round match up. 

On 2/7/2021 at 6:43 PM, SWINfan said:

Hayden Watson has not had a lot of luck with the Semi-State Ticket Round.  In his freshman year, he lost 2-1 to Gavinn Alstott,  Last year he cruised on to finished 3rd at State.  This year it appears he'll face MD's Ashton Hayhurst.  While he'll be favored to win, it's not a pretty draw for either.  You can easily argue that Chris Newman got a better draw losing in last week to Hayhurst.  

Looking forward to seeing that matchup and I expect to see a ton of action!

Newman got a fantastic draw compared to Hayhurst. 

20 hours ago, navy80 said:

Newman got a fantastic draw compared to Hayhurst. 

Newman’s draw came out different on track.  Has number one Reynolds in ticket round now. If he gets past Otte that is.

@Y2CJ41not sure if any others were a bit off. This one was off a bit. 

Edited by Mattyb

26 minutes ago, Mattyb said:

Newman’s draw came out different on track.  Has number one Reynolds in ticket round now. If he gets past Otte that is.

@Y2CJ41not sure if any others were a bit off. This one was off a bit. 

The bottom bracket at 145 had the champions in the wrong spot. It's fixed in the brackets now.

On 2/8/2021 at 4:00 PM, Wrestling4EVER said:

I really think Phillips is on a different level this year. He just majored a REALLY tough Tyler Williams that lost to Rust 9-7. And he beat state 4th in state last year Jordan Fulks 8-2.  Not saying he can't lose but saying he is really looking good. Also his teammate Colin Knox got one of if not the worst draw in the state. He is undefeated and lost in ticket round last year in a tough match. He has to get thru Ruhlman. Although i dont think there is no way that is gonna happen i think there should be more talk about this death draw. My buddy Adam Doherty has done a nice job with a small school and has a few shots at some wrestlers punching their ticket. 

I think it was mentioned in the very first post here... or one of the first posts

3 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

The bottom bracket at 145 had the champions in the wrong spot. It's fixed in the brackets now.

is that the only change?  I printed out two copies of the brackets yesterday.  With this mistake I feel like I should be reimbursed for two pieces of paper and the appropriate ink.  You owe me $.16, Y2!!!

Just now, SWINfan said:

is that the only change?  I printed out two copies of the brackets yesterday.  With this mistake I feel like I should be reimbursed for two pieces of paper and the appropriate ink.  You owe me $.16, Y2!!!

Yes that was the only error. The check is in the mail for your reimbursement.

On 2/7/2021 at 5:43 PM, SWINfan said:

Hayden Watson has not had a lot of luck with the Semi-State Ticket Round.  In his freshman year, he lost 2-1 to Gavinn Alstott,  Last year he cruised on to finished 3rd at State.  This year it appears he'll face MD's Ashton Hayhurst.  While he'll be favored to win, it's not a pretty draw for either.  You can easily argue that Chris Newman got a better draw losing in last week to Hayhurst.  

Looking forward to seeing that matchup and I expect to see a ton of action!

Good point SWIN, Newman definitely got a better draw as a 2 than Hayhurst as a 1. Sollars also got a tough draw at 182 as a 1 seed for the Cats. Going to be a lot of fireworks this weekend! 

1 hour ago, TeamGarcia said:
6 hours ago, Cricket21 said:

Good point SWIN, Newman definitely got a better draw as a 2 than Hayhurst as a 1. Look At Me Reaction GIF by Tricia  Grace 

Oh Boy .... somebody didn’t check the Bracket. 

Expand  

Definitely an "oh s***" moment. My apologies, completely blanked when I was typing this early this morning... I know that 145 is STACKED though. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.