Evansville North Regional Preview

hook and half

The North Regional promises top-notch Indiana talent, fireworks and what could be an interesting team race.  Since spectators will not be allowed—this year only—I will omit snarky comments about the tournament being moved from Castle. 

106- The wee ones will start us off with a bang.  Castle’s freshman phenom, Leighton Ramsey, tops the bracket with a 29-0 record.  Trouble lurks in the semis, when he faces the wily junior from North Posey, Blake Zirkelbach. For their trouble, the winner will be rewarded by a date with Mater Dei’s fourth-ranked Evan Seng.  Whoa, Nellie!

113- I like the semis match up of Heritage Hills’ Garrett Forler and Jared Dunn of Princeton.  Mater Dei’s Reed Egli graduated from gladiator school this season and looks to top the Huskie podium.

120- Central’s Ayden Amento put together a brilliant season and a 23-4 record.  The bad news is that three of his losses are to two, Mater Dei wrestlers.  The worse news is that 3x SQ Cole Ross is on the other side of the bracket.  I do not expect a Ross meltdown in this all-Central sectional final.

126- There will be upsets at 126!  Memorial’s Keegan Williams tops the bracket and carries a 27-1 record for Larry Mattingly’s Tigers.  Williams will face a savvy and improving wrestler in the form of Reitz’s Zach Traylor.  On the other side of the bracket, sectional champ Jacob Pierre will square off against Harrison’s Kaliq Boyd.  Pierre is studied and measured while Boyd is wide-open.  At the end of the day, I expect Pierre to try to avenge an early-season loss to Williams.  I could be wrong on every pick at 126!

132- Two words:  Alec Freeman.  The MD senior is ranked number one in Indiana and looks tougher each week.  Freeman will take the center mat against the winner of Harrison’s Devin Heneisen and North Posey’s Camden Lupfer.

138- It is hard to bet against MD’s returning State Champ, Blake Boarman, so I will not.  I like the semis match at the bottom of the bracket where Memorial’s Eli Weurth will face Nick Akers of North Posey.

145- I expect another all-Central sectional final at 145 where MD’s Ashton Hayhurst will square off against Mt. Vernon’s Chris Newman.  Hayhurst dished out a beat-down at the sectional. Can Newman re-group and crack the Hayhurst code?

152- Memorial’s Aiden Farmer tops the northern half of the bracket and brings a 23-4 record to the quadrangle palace.  MD’s Scott Fitts sports an 11-6 record against a slate of who’s who.  Fitts will square off against a solid Pat Mayes of Boonville.  If Fitts can get past Mayes, he will get an opportunity to avenge an early-season loss to Farmer.

160- In the marquee match of the tournament, Boonville’s Jordan Fulks will meet MD’s Brody Baumann.  Both are returning State Placers, technically solid, dynamic and in supreme condition.  Somebody put ‘em on a leash!

170- The adrenalin rush continues at 170.  Castle’s sophomore sensation, John Purdy, sports a perfect 24-0 record for Bob Harmon’s Knights.  Purdy will need to keep his eyes on the road, as he will face MD’s 17-3 Blake Weidner in the semis.  Mt. Vernon’s Brady Hook will coast to the final.  Hook is slick and smart; the final should be epic!

182- Caught your breath yet?  Too late!  In a battle of unbeatens, I expect Castle’s 30-0 Evan Reff to go heads up with MD’s 19-0 Gabe Sollars.  Castle and MD did not meet in this COVID-infected season, so we have no history on which to draw.  Someone help me out, here!

195- This is a tough pick.  Castle’s Jason Palamarchuck rolled up a 24-5 record, en route to his sectional title.  Danger lurks in the first round in the form of Reitz’s Reid Brickey.  Brickey defaulted his third-place match in the sectional.  If Brickey is healthy for the regional, you could see an upset at the EVSC School Board’s monument to themselves.  Should Palamarchuck get past Brickey, he will face Mt. Vernon’s very tough, 26-2 Blake Ritzert.  Slobber Knocker City!  Another great first round match will go down when Tecumseh’s Jared McKinley faces MD’s Clay Martin.  McKinley missed out on a sectional title by a 7-6 loss to Palamarchuck.  Sophomore Clay Martin is a 12-1 wrestler—that no one wants to wrestle.  While there is a lot of drama in the lead-up, there will be not be much drama in the final.  North Posey’s Wyatt Willman is 25-0 and is the class of the field.  You will see Ritzert vs. Willman, Part II. 

220- Memorial’s Kelton Farmer tops the northern half of the bracket.  In the semis, he will meet MD’s Nick Boots.  MD coach Greg Schaefer typically has his team peaking in February; Boots will look to avenge an early season loss.  Reitz’s Logan Huggins, with his 27-0 record, will skate to the final. 

285- Boonville senior, Cordell Heuring stomped the field at the Castle sectional and tops the bracket.  Heuring should not look past North’s senior, Gage Sales.  The Huskie is 23-2 and wrestling on his home mat.  MD junior James Ralph has blossomed this season and should walk to the final.  Look for Ralph to top the podium.

Top Semi-Final Matches:  106- Zirkelbach vs. Ramsey; 113- Forler vs. Dunn; 126- Williams vs. Traylor, Pierre vs. Boyd; 132- Lupfer vs. Heneisen; 138- Weurth vs. Akers; 152- Fitts vs. Mayes; 170- Purdy vs. Weidner; 195- Palamarchuck/Brickey vs. Ritzert; 220- Boots vs. Farmer; 285- Heuring vs. Sales

Top Final Matches:  106- Zirkelbach vs. Seng; 126- Williams/Traylor vs. Pierre/Boyd; 152- Farmer vs. Fitts; 160- Baumann vs. Fulks; 170- Weidner/Purdy vs. Hook; 182- Reff v. Sollars

Team Race:  This is a race for second.  Mater Dei has zero weak spots, will put at least ten in the finals and should advance all 14 to the semi state.  I like North Posey for second place, Castle for third and Boonville fourth.

12 minutes ago, laserbeam26 said:

want to know everyone's thoughts on how many advance from each sectional.

I have 41 Evansville central and 15 castle.

Also a 100 bananas MD and Gibson have more advance then all of castle sectional.

The Castle sectional will advance no fewer than 13 and no more than 22.

Edited by hook and half
grammar fix

3 hours ago, hook and half said:

Do you like her over Reed from Reitz?  If so, how does she match up with Seng?

I think she can pull an “upset” against Reed

She’s faced Ramsey twice this season and lost both matches by one point each time. Almost stuck him with a spladle at sectionals. 
I think the finals is a Central rematch for 1st and 2nd 

then a castle rematch for 3rd and 4th. 

After quickly going through the brackets I have it at Central Sectional 39 Castle Sectional 17 +/- a couple. 

I don’t think it’s any secret that the Central sectional is the tougher of the two.
When you have the best team in the state in it along with 2-3 other state caliber teams in their class it makes for a tough sectional. 

12 hours ago, Southern Side said:

Castle Sectional will have 15,  16

at most.  The bad part will be the following weekend.  You take out the Mater Dei wrestlers and the North Regional will only

have 3-4 that make it to State

Who are your 3-4? I see possibly two from North Posey (of course that’s me being a homer,) Fulks, 1/2 from memorial, 1/2 from mt Vernon, Purdy, Reff, Huggins, Huering?!

22 hours ago, hook and half said:

Bryant will get a crack at Fulks in the semis.  How do you see that going down?

I expect it to be a close match.  I believe they have met at Regional the past 2 years with Fulks winning both.  I know Owen has worked really hard over the summer/fall despite playing football and had a nice 3rd place finish at the MD Classic.  Should be one of the best semi-final matches.  

6 minutes ago, pupp44 said:

Thanks. Can you watch multiple mats or do you have to choose 1?

Yes, you can watch all mats on individual tabs.  How you do so depends on your internet connection/speed/bandwidth, the device you're using, etc.  

I open 4 tabs, one for each mat.  Cast one to my TV.  Watch another on laptop.  Use Trackwrestling Dashboard to keep up with what match is going on and on what mat. All matches are archived and can be watched later as well.

2 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Yes, you can watch all mats on individual tabs.  How you do so depends on your internet connection/speed/bandwidth, the device you're using, etc.  

I open 4 tabs, one for each mat.  Cast one to my TV.  Watch another on laptop.  Use Trackwrestling Dashboard to keep up with what match is going on and on what mat. All matches are archived and can be watched later as well.

Thanks for the help!

2 hours ago, pupp44 said:

How can we watch this on Saturday? Thanks for any help

Possibly Ihsaatv.org again 

they live-streamed many of the sectionals for FREE this last week. 
right now it’s not listed but could be that it’s still a few days out. 

11 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

Possibly Ihsaatv.org again 

they live-streamed many of the sectionals for FREE this last week. 
right now it’s not listed but could be that it’s still a few days out. 

The IHSAA said all regionals and semistates will be on trackwrestling

7 hours ago, Cappy said:

Who are your 3-4? I see possibly two from North Posey (of course that’s me being a homer,) Fulks, 1/2 from memorial, 1/2 from mt Vernon, Purdy, Reff, Huggins, Huering?!

I hope to see more but with how tough the Mooresville regional is, it is very unlikely that the North Regional sends anymore than 3-4 kids to State outside of the Mater

Dei kids. 

152- Aiden Farmer (needs to win regional)

160- Jordan Fulks

170- John Purdy

195- Wyatt Willman

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.