2021 Team State Qualification Procedures document

maligned

IHSWCA Team State Duals Qualification Procedures 2021.pdf

Here's the procedures document for qualification for 2021-22 Team State. The event is tentatively planned for January 8 of next season due to New Year's falling on the previous Saturday. 

From another post I made earlier..here are the significant changes this season because of covid effects:

1. In 3A and 4A, exactly 6 of the 8 bids will be via automatic qualification, rather than 6 or 7. (Best 3 semi-state highest scores, 2 highest remaining scores as wildcards, then either the 4th semi-state "winner" if they are in the top 10 overall or a 3rd automatic wildcard.) The 1A and 2A classes remain unchanged in terms of automatic bids (10 of the 12).

Rationale: More flexibility for intelligently picking both the 7th and 8th teams in 3A and 4A with so many covid issues at play.

2. Only one of the two vote-in choices in each class will be made by the selection committee in April following the season. The final vote-in selection will be made in mid-December 2021 so that one team per class will receive a last-minute bid based on in-season evidence.

Rationale: Last-minute invitations after teams had to pull out this year worked well. Especially in a season that will still be so impacted by covid, this will give us the chance to do a trial run of inviting a few deserving teams based on in-season merit that may be hit by significant issues during the upcoming state series. It means four teams will have to pull out of event commitments at the last minute, but it feels like a sacrifice many will consider worth making--especially considering the unusual circumstances.

3. The vote-in pool for the April wildcard selection in each class will be expanded to consider certain covid-affected teams. Any team affected by covid that does not earn enough points to qualify for the voting process will be given a chance to present evidence based on a) individuals' in-season head-to-head wins or b) individuals' past season accomplishments that demonstrates they would have earned a qualifying score within 5 points of the first two available vote-in candidates. With this specific level of evidence, those covid-affected teams will be considered in the voting process in April for the next-to-last wildcard spot.

Rationale: Numerous schools that are clear contenders for spots are already being impacted significantly at sectional. Sadly, we imagine there will be others in the coming rounds. If results-based evidence for wrestlers who missed part or all of the state series because of covid can be presented, we want those kids' schools to be considered.

4. All schools in the state will be considered for the final spot in the event at the time of the December 2021 vote, regardless of their qualification score this season.

Rationale: This gives one final "catch-all" for recognizing one deserving team, previously uninvited because of covid or other issues, that should be in the event. With all that's happening surrounding this current season and the impact on next season, we imagine ADs and tournament directors will be flexible and understanding for 4 of the 300 schools in the state to make a last-minute change to their schedule. If it is received well by coaches and ADs, this procedure for last-minute bids for one school per class may continue beyond next year as well.

Finally...one more clarification that Y2 reminded me of that's different for this "covid" year specifically:

For classification purposes, we want the size of each class to resemble what it will be in normal years going forward. To ensure this, instead of maintaining a hard line of 7+ wrestlers needed to be included in classification, we will most likely include some teams with less than 7 wrestlers. The process for this year only:

--Count the number of teams at each participant level breaking point (7+, 6+, etc.)

--Include all teams at the lowest breaking point that would not count more teams than 2020.

(Example: All teams with at least 6 sectional wrestlers totals less than 2020. Including teams with 5 wrestlers is more than 2020. This is our classification inclusion breaking point and we include the teams with 6 or more.)

--Classify according to school size following 2020 parameters for the four classes.

--Any team not included in classification that had very significant covid issues that puts them in position to apply for vote-in consideration will simply be added to the class in which their enrollment fits--even though they won't have been part of the original count. (In the very unusual instance that a team is not originally classified and has an enrollment exactly between two classes, they will be in the lower enrollment class.)

Links to Frequently Asked Questions about the qualification process are below. Almost all questions we receive every year can be answered in the procedures document itself or here:

General Qualification and Scoring Process:

Team Classification:

Controlling for Sectional and Regional Difficulty:

Injuries and "Those scores don't seem fair" situations:

2 hours ago, chambers said:

Question about the Mooresville regional. They are listed as a category 7 regional. The chart only goes up to category 6. So what's up with that?

So true. It just means 7 kids get SS advancement points just as Cat 6 or Cat 5 have 6 or 5 that receive them. Same tiebreakers are used. 

This year is so bizarre in.so many ways. The effects have decimated participation for urban and small schools such that the gap in expected advancers from a few top sectionals and regionals compared to the least competitive sites is even more pronounced than usual. This is the first time we've had three 6s at sectional or a 7 at any site. It's also more 2s than usual. But you can look at the results at the sectional sites and see the vast differences in participation and depth back up the math that got us those numbers.

1 hour ago, formercollegekid said:

Will there be a posted topic with everyone's current team points like in years past? Always fun to follow along and see the jumps teams make after different rounds of the tournament.

Yes, there will. Sectional week is a ton of data to gather and organize for results and for classification so it's always been Wednesday or Thursday but then much quicker the following weeks.

1 hour ago, Chris Cooper said:

Are the genius rankings and sos that drive these categories going to be public like in the past?  Also, thanks for all your work on this, I appreciate the time commitment.

I wasn't planning on it because there were a lot more unusual results because of forfeits or partial lineups. That means some teams' slots look a little off. However, the data was still good on a group level for setting sectional/regional site difficulties because virtually all events were local--meaning variations in performance were balanced out and the sectional/regional level wasn't affected. For example, one prominent team's rating seems inflated and they came out slotted ahead of a couple teams they lost to at team state. It's because of a really strong performance at their conference against much weaker competition--but all of the conference teams are in their sectional or regional and them having a slightly inflated rating is counterbalanced by the others having a reduced rating because of that same conference event. 

7 hours ago, maligned said:

I wasn't planning on it because there were a lot more unusual results because of forfeits or partial lineups. That means some teams' slots look a little off. However, the data was still good on a group level for setting sectional/regional site difficulties because virtually all events were local--meaning variations in performance were balanced out and the sectional/regional level wasn't affected. For example, one prominent team's rating seems inflated and they came out slotted ahead of a couple teams they lost to at team state. It's because of a really strong performance at their conference against much weaker competition--but all of the conference teams are in their sectional or regional and them having a slightly inflated rating is counterbalanced by the others having a reduced rating because of that same conference event. 

I still think the info should be posted.  I think people realize this year has some unusual circumstances due to COVID, lineups not at full strength at times, etc.

I think the format changes that have been made for qualification are great considering the circumstances.

6 hours ago, Chris Cooper said:

I still think the info should be posted.  I think people realize this year has some unusual circumstances due to COVID, lineups not at full strength at times, etc.

Yeah, it's not a matter of trying to hide the info. The Genius ratings themselves are my creation and something that I like to be intuitive and accurate. If the data points for single teams are less than half the norm--and with many unusual results sprinkled in--certain teams won't be where they intuitively should be. Normally, I can go through and cherry pick removals or adjustments where Castle only brought 7 of their guys to the Mooresville Holiday Classic or the Elkhart tournament used a non-traditional scoring system or whatever else. This season, it just wasn't feasible. So it's not work I can take quite as much pride in on a single-team level.

For doing sectional and regional categories, however, there are hundreds of points of immediate connection between sites and thousands of points of secondary connection. Having some duals with less than genuine results gets smoothed out completely by the large amount of overall data points. With a single team, if they're missing 7 guys for a big Saturday event, we could be talking about 25% of their results for the whole season in some cases being "corrupted". This doesn't matter in terms of a sectional's strength, because most of those "corrupted" results balance out by benefitting their sectional/regional counterparts--or represents only 1 of hundreds of first-contact non-sectional/regional data points if there's a non-neighbor opponent involved.

With all that said, let me get it into a sortable format with the SoS data in place and I'll post it for people to look at. It's not garbage--just not the standard I like to post for single teams wanting to look at how they stack up.

Here you go (remember SoS is just the average of the strength of opponents from the results we had available):

Genius 2020-21 (covid raw).xlsx

Edited by maligned

• Y2CJ41 pinned this topic
  • 2 months later...

The date is set for January 8th 2022. 1 more team will be picked early May from the list of vote-in candidates. 1 team will be picked in December based on in season results.

Accepted teams so far:

4A:

Brownsburg
Crown Point
Indianapolis Cathedral
Mater Dei
Penn
Perry Meridian

3A:

Columbia City
Columbus East
East Central*
Franklin Community
Floyd Central
Mishawaka*

2A:

Bellmont
Garrett
Charlestown
Hamilton Heights
Jay County
Peru
New Prairie
Oak Hill
Wawasee
Western

1A:

Adams Central
Daleville
Centerville
Cowan
North Posey
Rochester
Prairie Heights
Rensselear Central
Southridge
Southmont

• 3 weeks later...

Wednesday evening the Team State committee met and voted on 1 of the final 2 teams for each class. These were some very thought out discussions and very tough decisions. The teams picked (and have all accepted already) are:

4A: Center Grove

3A: Terre Haute South

2A: Tippecanoe Valley

1A: Tell City

AS A REMINDER, THERE WILL BE 1 MORE TEAM PICKED PRIOR TO CHRISTMAS BASED ON IN SEASON RESULTS. This was sort of a spill over from a COVID season where we had to make some lat minute changes. We felt that it was best to pick 1 team that may have outperformed computer rankings. 

The date for next year's tournament is Jan 8th 2022.

WOW....  I really thought Winamac was a REALLY GOOD argument for that 1A spot...  We beat Rensselear in a duel and not just by 1 match....  Had an injury to a senior at sectional that was the difference in Winamac Team Sectional Champions and not Rensselear.....   Just keep your eye on Winamac when the season starts...  We will show you why we belong there.   

On 5/14/2021 at 9:33 PM, chambers said:

Tenser310 what is your argument for Winamac? 

chambers....  not sure what your questions is....  stated some facts about the Winamac team and that they should have been highly considered for the 11th spot to 1A team state.....  now Winamac will come out in December and show all the voters and decision makers why they belong at Team State.....  not sure if I covred your question but there you go...

@Tenser310 Hobart was in the same boat for 3A, what is worse is that we were there last year.

Unfortunately, we had maybe the most injuries in one year in program history. 

Ruben Padilla (State Ranked) was out with a concussion at the end of the year

Cristian Padilla (SS Ranked) out with torn up knee

Cam Smith (SS Ranked) tore his ACL in football

Bobby Babcock (State Ranked) broke his hand right before team state

Tyler Turley (State Ranked) broke his hand at sectionals

Lost 3 220 pounders to covid/injury

Gotta move on, hopefully the results next year show that we belong!! We are returning 3 state qualifiers and a lot of talent. 

• Y2CJ41 unpinned this topic

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.