I am tired of the hypocrisy

fanofwrestling

Just now, Y2CJ41 said:

You must have flexibility as Carroll is close to capacity at all their schools. They just built a new elementary this past year. I couldn't imagine the kids that would want to come to Carroll if it was truly open enrollment. It's a tricky subject to say the least. 

I know schools like Brownsburg and Crown Point are closed districts also. There are many out there, it's mainly some of the bigger schools that don't have capacity to accept kids not in the district.

I guess when I say uniformity, meaning that those situations are covered with stipulations for reasons of being open, closed, or partially opened. There may be, I haven't looked into any of it.

Just now, casualwrestlingfan said:

I guess when I say uniformity, meaning that those situations are covered with stipulations for reasons of being open, closed, or partially opened. There may be, I haven't looked into any of it.

Yes I agree. Every situation is different as far as transferring and such. You need to deter it, however people have the right to take their kid to what they believe is a better opportunity. If we don't deter it then I cannot imagine what the state would look like. We'd have to keep a transfer tracker on the website.

1 minute ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Yes I agree. Every situation is different as far as transferring and such. You need to deter it, however people have the right to take their kid to what they believe is a better opportunity. If we don't deter it then I cannot imagine what the state would look like. We'd have to keep a transfer tracker on the website.

Maybe a 1x free transfer and then anything after that is scrutinized. I believe that is similar to the NCAA's new rule to a degree.

Why not look at Michigan's transfer rule and just adopt it?  Maybe because you have seen that we are just starting our season and it is also almost over?  Don't let that stop you.  Michigan's rule is:

Unless a high school student meets one of the 15 stated exceptions - most exceptions involve a defined residential change - a student will not be eligible for the next season in a sport he or she participated in at his or her former high school (any level) during the most recent previous school year. A student would be eligible in sports he or she did not participate in during the previous or current school year.

The main exception is moving.  If you actually change addresses, you are home free.  If you don't, you can play basketball that season or any other sport you didn't previously play at your former school, but no way in heck you can wrestle ( except for the other 14 unlikely exceptions ).

We live on the Indiana border on the MI side.  Our friend chose to go to a private IN school a few miles from their home starting his freshman year of high school.  As a senior, he had ran out of classes to take at the small private school and wanted to come back to the school district he lived in his whole life in Michigan to take more classes.  But he didn't need to move since he lived there already, so he was inelegible to play any sport he had previously played at the school in Indiana.   The MHSAA was clearly protecting other kids from allowing a kid from playing for a high school where he lived his whole life. 

Now that's just good common sense rules from your neighbors from the north.

On 2/26/2021 at 2:30 PM, Y2CJ41 said:

Open enrollment is not true. Carroll does not have open enrollment and many schools actually have closed borders. While Indiana is an "open enrollment" state, schools are not obligated as they can cite capacity issues if they were open. Many smaller schools do offer open enrollment to a degree since adding 20 students from neighboring districts is big money.

guess we will hold off on our transfer request!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.