I am tired of the hypocrisy

fanofwrestling

2 hours ago, indianmorg said:

Getting a lawyer involved is spot on, it happened with a kid this year, a kid was denied eligibility due ruling he transferred for athletic reasons, appealed and lost, next step, get a lawyer and make up some absolutely absurd story that the coach injured him which is why he transferred and boom just like that you are eligible........now the coach is under fire for something that never took place.......unbelievable 

Frankton's lawyer had more class than that.  He did not use any angle that would threaten the career of anyone  involved.  He used the angle that if Dru was denied the ability to wrestle it could be damaging to his chances of a post high school scholarship and money that could help his low income family pay for a college degree.  Now....Dru ended up not going to college and as he got older he had no ambitions of wrestling in college but it got him the eligibility that he deserved his sophomore year.

Edited by CoachLuzadder

1 hour ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

That's against the law on so many levels let alone morally screwed up.. Being a coach is challenging enough, without having to defend your character over something like that.

Yea its sad and just unfortunate, and it is still ongoing right now.  If you read the story of what they said happened you would literally scratch your head, it's hard to believe a lawyer would even take it on.  This coach has been involved with wrestling his whole life, coached for over 10 years and has never done anything malicious and to have these false allegations thrown at him for the benefit of someone else's gain is horseshit.  Sick world we live in sometimes

Edited by indianmorg

1 minute ago, indianmorg said:

Yea its sad and just unfortunate, and it is still ongoing right now.   This coach has been involved with wrestling his whole life, coached for over 10 years and has never done anything malicious and to have these false allegations thrown at him for the benefit of someone else's gain is horseshit.  Sick world we live in sometimes

Hate to hear that, hopefully the community stands behind him and this crap gets resolved.

Just a reminder, when we are posting and commenting on the forum. Let’s remember that our opinions are just that. Good debating and different perspectives it’s what makes this an amazing outlet. But , let’s remember that when we are talking about minors , someone’s kid. We need to be better. We don’t know everyone situation and let’s not assume Bc reality is we are all bias. Our own experience and positions gives our own perspective. Stating that you don’t agree with someone’s perspective, story , motives is one thing. But calling them liars, or claiming your own perspective is the correct one and that they are wrong is another.  We are a wrestling community. We are better then this.

Edited by Jdhomes

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, TeamGarcia said:

Huge write up in the IndyStar on Transfers & IHSAA, The DOE, Courts, Lawyers, Parents outrage . Good read, gotta have subscription to read but worth it . 

I can relate, dealt with the circus show in 2020 with my Family. 

Was the article from today? Trying to find it to read

58 minutes ago, TeamGarcia said:

Last year I went through the process with a kid and it was brutal. After the hearing they felt they were not going to "win" his eligibility, but for some reason they changed their minds.

The thing that gets me is how they pick and choose which kids to "audit" and go after. 

AD & Coaches tell lies, IHSAA believes schools whatever the Coaches & AD writes . Most parents just give up.  A lot of unnecessary stress, lots worries that we as parents asking yourself, did something wrong for the better of ourselves & our kids . It’s a broken system .They continue to push you in a corner, continue to degrade you . They don’t listen until it effects the IHSAA . Most cases don’t have to be this way . They just keep pushing until you break as a parent. 

Edited by TeamGarcia

1 hour ago, Jimtown 138 said:

Just don't put yourself in that position...

The easy way in life to put it .

Unfortunately unexpected life events puts you in positions that you don’t wanna be in . (Job loss,  job relocation, divorce, separation, death...  I can go on & on)  Happens to everyone at any giving time in life. Just gotta try to make the right decision for your family . 

1 hour ago, TeamGarcia said:

The easy way in life to put it .

Unfortunately unexpected life events puts you in positions that you don’t wanna be in . (Job loss,  job relocation, divorce, separation, death...  I can go on & on)  Happens to everyone at any giving time in life. Just gotta try to make the right decision for your family . 

Unexpected life tragedies are not what I'm talking about...

38 minutes ago, Jimtown 138 said:

Unexpected life tragedies are not what I'm talking about...

How about it shouldn’t matter what the reason is, it should be up to the parents/kids to do whatever is best for their kids. If an Avon kid thinks his best chance at a life changing wrestling scholarship is at Brownsburg, who the hell has the right to deny them that? *Not throwing shade at Avon, just using the Garcia schools as an example. 

20 minutes ago, Thor said:

How about it shouldn’t matter what the reason is, it should be up to the parents/kids to do whatever is best for their kids. If an Avon kid thinks his best chance at a life changing wrestling scholarship is at Brownsburg, who the hell has the right to deny them that? *Not throwing shade at Avon, just using the Garcia schools as an example. 

I think its because the IHSAA has a responsibility to all of the school and to all of the armature athletes, which doesn't always line up with what individual families think is best for their one students athletic career. 

While the Indiana Department of Education has opened up the ability for open enrollment to do what a family believes is best for a students educational needs, the IHSAA does not feel this same movement should be warranted for a students athletic needs.   That's where a lot of  the grey transfer issues occurs and a long discussion with the AD and IHSAA occurs.

Edited by MattM

All the time, energy and money spent assessing these moves could be better spent on other line items.  Setup some clear violations for extreme cases (athletes are being paid to play at another school, etc) and maybe investigate those

Otherwise, let the parents decide what is best for their kids

My question would be....Lets say a student that is in the band, transfers from their existing school because the band program isnt very good.  The student transfers to another school that has a state championship band.  Is this transfer scrutinized by the IHSAA?

The IHSAA is operated by the State of Indiana. The state or federal government are typically inefficient at everything they manage..

Maybe Indianamat can get an interview with Mr. Faulkens about transfers. 

Few years back the Moran brothers lost a year of eligibility when transferring to Portage from CP. I certainly do not know the entire story of what happened, I was coaching during that time at Portage, and I was more upset that Jonathan lost his senior year because of the block.

I don’t know the story behind Penn and C. Carroll, but my view is if they want to move to another district, school or what have you let them. I don’t care what their reasoning is, a state title isn’t worth a kids future in my eyes. Why block a kid from success just to have your head get bigger. It could possibly hurt kids in the long run for scholarships and such just because you’re upset they didn’t want to wrestle for you. Just my opinion, don’t try to pick it apart because you won’t change my mind.

-TJ 

1 hour ago, guillotine said:

My question would be....Lets say a student that is in the band, transfers from their existing school because the band program isnt very good.  The student transfers to another school that has a state championship band.  Is this transfer scrutinized by the IHSAA?

IHSAA - Indiana High School Athletic Association

19 hours ago, Silence Dogood said:

IHSAA - Indiana High School Athletic Association

Yep, but I do believe they have their own association, but I have no clue about any rules for it. Indiana has open enrollment for education correct? If that is correct, then any by-laws the IHSAA has should follow that for athletics in my opinion. Unless you can prove that an athlete is receiving impermissible benefits, any and all transfers should be fair game. It removes the whole argument about parochial/private/charter schools vs public schools. After all, it is just a sport at the end of the day.

5 minutes ago, casualwrestlingfan said:

Yep, but I do believe they have their own association, but I have no clue about any rules for it. Indiana has open enrollment for education correct? If that is correct, then any by-laws the IHSAA has should follow that for athletics in my opinion. Unless you can prove that an athlete is receiving impermissible benefits, any and all transfers should be fair game. It removes the whole argument about parochial/private/charter schools vs public schools. After all, it is just a sport at the end of the day.

I agree.

7 minutes ago, casualwrestlingfan said:

Open enrollment is not true. Carroll does not have open enrollment and many schools actually have closed borders. While Indiana is an "open enrollment" state, schools are not obligated as they can cite capacity issues if they were open. Many smaller schools do offer open enrollment to a degree since adding 20 students from neighboring districts is big money.

28 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Open enrollment is not true. Carroll does not have open enrollment and many schools actually have closed borders. While Indiana is an "open enrollment" state, schools are not obligated as they can cite capacity issues if they were open. Many smaller schools do offer open enrollment to a degree since adding 20 students from neighboring districts is big money.

Thanks for the clarification. Once again another issue of not having uniformity in such matters across the state.

25 minutes ago, casualwrestlingfan said:

Thanks for the clarification. Once again another issue of not having uniformity in such matters across the state.

You must have flexibility as Carroll is close to capacity at all their schools. They just built a new elementary this past year. I couldn't imagine the kids that would want to come to Carroll if it was truly open enrollment. It's a tricky subject to say the least. 

I know schools like Brownsburg and Crown Point are closed districts also. There are many out there, it's mainly some of the bigger schools that don't have capacity to accept kids not in the district.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.