I am tired of the hypocrisy

fanofwrestling

One thing that sticks out to me is the fact that the Penn school administrators have no comment!😂 they sure had a lot to comment when they blocked him from wrestling.

but on the other hand I don’t blame them for hiding their face and voice. Before this article there was a lot of grey areas in this story but now the fog is definitely clearing. Shame on Penn for being so hypocritical. Karma is a dish best served cold. hopefully this will serve as a lesson to other coaches and schools in the future. 

It was disappointing reading the article. I'll never understand grown adults getting emotional and stopping a young kid from wrestling. 

We had a returning semi state kid transfer schools over Christmas break.. Pre Christmas he was with us.. stopped showing up and later we found out he had enrolled at a rival school. He never moved. Passed two high schools to get to the new one. Wrestled us in a dual in Jan! Yeah we weren't happy but in no way did we ever think about trying to stop him from wrestling. It wasn't the right thing to do. 

I hope Carroll wrestles for NP his junior and senior year and dominates. 

I would hope there is  valid reason's that school's block a students transfer , and that the IHSAA  looks into such blockages . I would think a school would have to have documentation as to the blockage .  Before I can pass judgment , I would need to know more than one side of the story . Since most, if not all schools will not indulge such information to the public , one side is all we're ever going to get . 

Edited by M109R

While I don't agree with any of this situation. My son is that "South Carolina" kid. I did everything right. It took until Dec 23rd for him to get eligible. Sorry for moving my family back to where I grew up because I'm retiring from military service. I don't agree with what happened to Christian, but keep my son out of your grievances. 

2 hours ago, 812wrestler said:

One thing that sticks out to me is the fact that the Penn school administrators have no comment!😂 they sure had a lot to comment when they blocked him from wrestling.

but on the other hand I don’t blame them for hiding their face and voice. Before this article there was a lot of grey areas in this story but now the fog is definitely clearing. Shame on Penn for being so hypocritical. Karma is a dish best served cold. hopefully this will serve as a lesson to other coaches and schools in the future. 

The only good that can come of this now is...

first, having Christian fully eligible for ALL of next season (according to the IHSAA, this type of ineligible ruling is for 365 days, so he might only become eligible a few days before sectionals next year)

second, that this may shed some light and turn over some stones in one schools program and see how many truly “eligible” wrestlers that they actually have. 
third, we ALL (adults included) learn from the statements that Christian made in the posted article and see how we can take some unfair situations in life and turn them into a positive, and not stoop to others low levels, and to always take the high road. 

1 hour ago, Cmoney125 said:

While I don't agree with any of this situation. My son is that "South Carolina" kid. I did everything right. It took until Dec 23rd for him to get eligible. Sorry for moving my family back to where I grew up because I'm retiring from military service. I don't agree with what happened to Christian, but keep my son out of your grievances. 

Welcome back to Northern Indiana. Looking forward to seeing your son make a deep run in the State Tournament. 

I want to preface this post by saying the whole situation is extremely unfortunate. I can only imagine the amount of anger and frustration this has caused all parties involved. But, with that being said, this entire narrative is slightly odd to me…

Do people genuinely believe the power to decide a student’s eligibility is solely given to the school he/she is trying to leave? If this were the case, I would have to imagine this is the first instance in which it completely bypassed the state’s ruling. I don’t understand where the idea that a school can just *block* a transfer comes from. Everything regarding this situation would have to be reviewed by both schools, and decided upon by the state, right? After all, it was ruled by the IHSAA that this student was ineligible due to various circumstances. I find it hard to believe that the reason for this decision was simply that “…penn basically said nah.”

In fact, I find it considerably easier to believe that this maybe had something to do with the ruling…

On 1/31/2021 at 8:19 AM, Jam said:

his personal coach runs a RTC in an old radio shack ten minutes from his new school.

One would think that enrolling at a new school (midway through the year) in which your personal coach is listed as a volunteer assistant would raise a few red flags in the IHSAA’s eyes.

On 1/31/2021 at 4:53 PM, dwise said:
On 1/31/2021 at 4:38 PM, Xpwc said:

Someone went to a lot of trouble preventing arguably the states best wrestler the opportunity to compete. Sounded like the kid was just looking for a better situation, with a coach that had more interest in helping him than following around a girl that graduated years ago and living off her success. 

Penn hosted Regionals last year and the head coach was MIA pursuing the interest stated above 🙄

I also find these comments wildly bizarre, and fail to see how this could be a legitimate knock against any coach (also fail to see how it relates to this discussion..?). I would imagine anyone who follows Indiana wrestling recognizes the opportunity that this coach and this girl has to "...improve her craft for all of Indiana's enjoyment" - to use the words of *fanofwrestling*

13 hours ago, lhga312 said:

I want to preface this post by saying the whole situation is extremely unfortunate. I can only imagine the amount of anger and frustration this has caused all parties involved. But, with that being said, this entire narrative is slightly odd to me…

Do people genuinely believe the power to decide a student’s eligibility is solely given to the school he/she is trying to leave? If this were the case, I would have to imagine this is the first instance in which it completely bypassed the state’s ruling. I don’t understand where the idea that a school can just *block* a transfer comes from. Everything regarding this situation would have to be reviewed by both schools, and decided upon by the state, right? After all, it was ruled by the IHSAA that this student was ineligible due to various circumstances. I find it hard to believe that the reason for this decision was simply that “…penn basically said nah.”

As I understand it, if Penn had approved the transfer waiver, the IHSAA would never have had any reason to look into the matter. So them saying "nah" actually is at the crux of it. We had a sophomore student transfer from another school in our conference last year that hadn't even wrestled for them since Jr. High and he wasn't eligible until their AD signed off on it, which they did immediately.

42 minutes ago, Coach Nieman said:

As I understand it, if Penn had approved the transfer waiver, the IHSAA would never have had any reason to look into the matter. So them saying "nah" actually is at the crux of it. We had a sophomore student transfer from another school in our conference last year that hadn't even wrestled for them since Jr. High and he wasn't eligible until their AD signed off on it, which they did immediately.

Yep this - while at Wheeler we had a kid who had never played sports transfer from Chesterton and he wasn’t able too until their AD signed off. Which they did as soon as we sent it.  If the AD signs off , IHSAA doesn’t typically get involved.  In my limited experiences with this.  

1 minute ago, Silence Dogood said:

What parade of horribles would happen if transfers like this weren't more freely allowed by the IHSAA?

You mean like last year where 8 of the state placers were wrestling for a different school than they started as a freshmen?

Or in 2019 where 12 of the state placers were wrestling for a different school than they started at as a freshman?

In 2018 it was a slow year with only 7 state placers wrestling at a different school than they started at as a freshman.

This is only state placers from those years. Only two of them had to sit out a year. 

1 hour ago, Coach Nieman said:

Spot on ☝️

It’s unfortunately not *spot on*. In any case where a student athlete transfers from one school to the next, it is immediately looked at by both schools’ administration and submitted to the IHSAA for a final review. 

Simply put - the IHSAA is involved in any instance that a student athlete transfers schools. 

Are we to believe that the schools are free to operate outside the scope of the state’s rules/regulations and can essentially decide for themselves if a student is eligible or not?

3 minutes ago, lhga312 said:

It’s unfortunately not *spot on*. In any case where a student athlete transfers from one school to the next, it is immediately looked at by both schools’ administration and submitted to the IHSAA for a final review. 

Simply put - the IHSAA is involved in any instance that a student athlete transfers schools. 

Are we to believe that the schools are free to operate outside the scope of the state’s rules/regulations and can essentially decide for themselves if a student is eligible or not?

The IHSAA is a self reporting organization. They are not looking for violations. Almost EVERY IHSAA violation is self reported. 

Going through the process with a kid last year I learned a lot. If both schools agree on the eligibility status then about 99.9% of the time the IHSAA only puts a rubber stamp on it. It is only when one of the schools disagrees with what the other school is offering in terms of eligibility. If the athlete does not like the ruling they can appeal to the IHSAA. If that appeal does not go in their favor they can go to the DOE for one final appeal. 

1 hour ago, Y2CJ41 said:

You mean like last year where 8 of the state placers were wrestling for a different school than they started as a freshmen?

Or in 2019 where 12 of the state placers were wrestling for a different school than they started at as a freshman?

In 2018 it was a slow year with only 7 state placers wrestling at a different school than they started at as a freshman.

This is only state placers from those years. Only two of them had to sit out a year. 

So basically stuff that is already happening, just in an inconsistently-applied basis. 

What I am wondering about is what are the bad things that happen as a result of these situations? Why are those things bad? 

This reminds me of a great story back in 2015-16.  Yorktown had recruited Dru Berkible to come wrestle for them when he was in middle school.  Dru wrestled for Yorktown High School while living in the Frankton district during his freshman year.   After his freshman year he decided he wanted to come back to Frankton and wrestle for the district he lived in.  Yorktown did not like this so they refused to sign off on him.  Once again, He lived in the Frankton district the whole time.  The IHSAA got involved and still said no.  Now understand, Yorktown's had a history of non-district kids and convenient  move-ins (Jackson, Hunt, Curtis, Rutter, Walker, Carroll, Berkbile, Milius twins, Vanhorn....should I keep going???)  I can say that I even had one of these young men in class at the time and he explained to me that he had to use one of the assistant coach's rental addresses to become eligible however he was actually spending time traveling from his hometown and also spending most nights at other wrestlers houses for the year.  Oh man I could add so many more stories, however, back to the point.  Frankton was smart and used the help of a past Eagle wrestler who has since become a successful lawyer and took it to the IDOE.  News Flash...the IDOE does not like lawyers and granted him full and immediate eligibility that year.  It was a crazy time and one I had to scratch my head about because I had taught and coached football at Yorktown prior to coaching at Frankton.  Everyone knew what was going on.  Them not releasing him after all the kids they took away from other programs was ridiculous.  It was hotel Yorktown, where you could check in any time you wanted but could never check out.  In the end, however, Frankton won that battle.  Had this young man gotten the help of a lawyer, or maybe he did????, the outcome might have gone in his favor

On a side note, thankfully all the administrators and the coaches, except the principal, involved with all the recruiting and unethical behavior are long gone.  Yorktown has since hired a great young coach in Jacob Stephenson who is going to do things the right way and worry more about developing wrestlers and a program and less about his coaching record. 

Edited by CoachLuzadder

17 hours ago, CoachLuzadder said:

This reminds me of a great story back in 2015-16.  Yorktown had recruited Dru Berkible to come wrestle for them when he was in middle school.  Dru wrestled for Yorktown High School while living in the Frankton district during his freshman year.   After his freshman year he decided he wanted to come back to Frankton and wrestle for the district he lived in.  Yorktown did not like this so they refused to sign off on him.  Once again, He lived in the Frankton district the whole time.  The IHSAA got involved and still said no.  Now understand, Yorktown's had a history of non-district kids and convenient  move-ins (Jackson, Hunt, Curtis, Rutter, Walker, Carroll, Berkbile, Milius twins, Vanhorn....should I keep going???)  I can say that I even had one of these young men in class at the time and he explained to me that he had to use one of the assistant coach's rental addresses to become eligible however he was actually spending time traveling from his hometown and also spending most nights at other wrestlers houses for the year.  Oh man I could add so many more stories, however, back to the point.  Frankton was smart and used the help of a past Eagle wrestler who has since become a successful lawyer and took it to the IDOE.  News Flash...the IDOE does not like lawyers and granted him full and immediate eligibility that year.  It was a crazy time and one I had to scratch my head about because I had taught and coached football at Yorktown prior to coaching at Frankton.  Everyone knew what was going on.  Them not releasing him after all the kids they took away from other programs was ridiculous.  It was hotel Yorktown, where you could check in any time you wanted but could never check out.  In the end, however, Frankton won that battle.  Had this young man gotten the help of a lawyer, or maybe he did????, the outcome might have gone in his favor

On a side note, thankfully all the administrators and the coaches, except the principal, involved with all the recruiting and unethical behavior are long gone.  Yorktown has since hired a great young coach in Jacob Stephenson who is going to do things the right way and worry more about developing wrestlers and a program and less about his coaching record. 

Getting a lawyer involved is spot on, it happened with a kid this year, a kid was denied eligibility due ruling he transferred for athletic reasons, appealed and lost, next step, get a lawyer and make up some absolutely absurd story that the coach injured him which is why he transferred and boom just like that you are eligible........now the coach is under fire for something that never took place.......unbelievable 

52 minutes ago, indianmorg said:

Getting a lawyer involved is spot on, it happened with a kid this year, a kid was denied eligibility due ruling he transferred for athletic reasons, appealed and lost, next step, get a lawyer and make up some absolutely absurd story that the coach injured him which is why he transferred and boom just like that you are eligible........now the coach is under fire for something that never took place.......unbelievable 

That's against the law on so many levels let alone morally screwed up.. Being a coach is challenging enough, without having to defend your character over something like that.

8 hours ago, LionsFan said:

I’m just curious, if this was a catholic school, would there be any debate if the wrestler had eligibility??

I'd assume bringing religion into the equation certainly would have a major bearing on the outcome.. My team mate was pursued by a certain catholic School years ago but he said he'd rather wrestle against with his boys at NC.. I'll say this, every year our dual with them got beyond Chippy...I got my 100th win against Their studs that placed highly 2x and  riot about broke out in that gym and benches cleared after he was booted for his 2nd Unsportsmanlike.. Those Catholics were wild, and we always had the bus warming up before the match ended lol.. Respect to heck out of them though and nothing but good things to say, I'm not trying make them look bad just throwing some my prior experience out there in this realm of recruiting and transferring.. Every time we Wrestled them a certain wonderful gentleman that everybody adored would tell my boy he would awfully good in their singlets lol 

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.