I am tired of the hypocrisy

fanofwrestling

6 hours ago, SharkBit said:

So the foundation of this issue that has now been established by the school in question by blocking a student athlete from leaving their program has been determined by their own due diligence with the gathering of facts, dates, timelines and documention?

Does this same due diligence now fall upon the coaching staff, athletic department and the Principal of the school who is ultimately responsible according to IHSAA by laws regarding transfers and eligibility to review their own transfers?   So forgive me but is anyone not totally comfortable that three highly ranked National level wrestling families coincidentally all moved to Penn Township in Northern Indiana.  NOTE the key here is wrestling FAMILY moved.  If there is as rumored, finger pointing of this being a result of outside influence....that does not relieve this school in their responsibility to do the same due diligence and remedy or correct the situation now in regards to the three out of state wrestlers in question.

The purist may say....let those kids wrestle?  But what about those kids within your own program that have been put aside?  A week ago was Conference.  What about those kids that have grown up wrestling in our community but were displaced by the those kids.  Or Sectionals yesterday.  Penn wins as a team 320 pts to 2nd place team of 281 pts.  Yet 102 of the 320 team points were scored by 1st year move ins.  Another week of several local kids displaced in the process.  Maybe the next few weeks will affect more of you and get your attention?  I am all for a kid going from one local school to another and being able to wrestle.  This is not the same thing.  

IHSAA rules are clear about eligibilty regarding moves.  A bona fide family move being at the center of the language regarding the granting of that eligibility.  I am not making accusations or pointing fingers with my comments or opinions.  I am simply asking if the same basis of review has been applied in all of these cases of transfer within the same program?

So when you say the wrestling FAMILY moved to the Penn district, you are talking about the how wrestlers are moving into the Head Coach’s brothers basement?

National kids picking Penn? There has to be more than that for a reason a family moves!? I think transfers before season are ok but not during the season. Gives the kids that are “put aside” time to work harder (or should’ve been before) and/or adjust. Wrestling prepares you for the real world and although we think of it as a high school sport...these are young men getting ready for the real world. Anyone can take a job if they’ve worked hard and put themselves in the best position to get that job. Helps who you know some times also:) Just my 2 cents. 

1 hour ago, Xpwc said:

Someone went to a lot of trouble preventing arguably the states best wrestler the opportunity to compete. Sounded like the kid was just looking for a better situation, with a coach that had more interest in helping him than following around a girl that graduated years ago and living off her success. 

The last I heard , Carroll wasn't even going to wrestle in high school . Was going to focus on national Tournaments . 

22 hours ago, fanofwrestling said:

I am tired of the hypocrisy.  Recently a very talented wrestler was declared ineligible to participate in the state wrestling tournament.  This did not only deny a precious year to a high school kid, but also all of Indiana eager to see one of the nations finest improving his craft for all of Indiana’s enjoyment.   The reason for this travesty was due to Penn finding a loophole in the Indiana by-laws and exploiting it.  Why?  No one knows for sure, but what is for sure is a great ambassador for the sport we love will not be showcased on Indiana’s grandest stage.   So why is this hypocrisy?   Penn has 4 wrestlers from out of state competing for them.  A wrestler from Texas, Michigan, Illinois, and South Carolina all of a sudden transferred to Penn this year.  Yet there has been no investigation, despite overwhelming evidence of recruiting.  The reason for this is simple, most adults realize these kids only have a limited time in school and if they want to leave to a different school, they let them because it is in the best interest for the kid.  This happens often in northern Indiana, I am sure  also throughout the state and all over the country.  In fact, many, many, wrestlers from various programs in northern Indiana have transferred to join Penn. Penn accepts them wholeheartedly.  No one fought the transfer because why punish the kid.  However, when Penn loses a kid the first thing they do is block the kid.  Blatant Hypocrisy. 

So they have guy from out of the state who live in their district...... people that want to move into our state for our competition and better exposure BRING IT ON!!!  Come and make our state better at wrestling and give us more depth. 

40 minutes ago, Athenr said:

National kids picking Penn? There has to be more than that for a reason a family moves!? I think transfers before season are ok but not during the season. Gives the kids that are “put aside” time to work harder (or should’ve been before) and/or adjust. Wrestling prepares you for the real world and although we think of it as a high school sport...these are young men getting ready for the real world. Anyone can take a job if they’ve worked hard and put themselves in the best position to get that job. Helps who you know some times also:) Just my 2 cents. 

Wasn't aware any of Penn's wrestlers were nationally ranked . 

Edited by M109R

14 hours ago, 1gold said:

Its all about the kids getting better and competition.  Not everyone will wrestle in college , or even wants to because it's such a grind ..  I'm all for kids getting better ..

Well are you saying someone on here is going to disagree with you here?!

19 hours ago, Thor said:

I assume this is Christian Carroll and Penn

Yes, to my understanding he didn’t like the coaching so he transferred to New Prairie where he’s close to the rtc  and staff is more enjoyable. Then penn denied him his sectional run. Even though he got all the required weigh ins after cutting weight, and required practices. New prairie tried all they could to let a kid wrestle but penn basically said nah.

36 minutes ago, 57ninjas said:

Yes, to my understanding he didn’t like the coaching so he transferred to New Prairie where he’s close to the rtc  and staff is more enjoyable. Then penn denied him his sectional run. Even though he got all the required weigh ins after cutting weight, and required practices. New prairie tried all they could to let a kid wrestle but penn basically said nah.

Wouldn't the IHSAA be dictating the rules rather than Penn HS? 

37 minutes ago, 57ninjas said:

So is he currently at New Prairie?

Same topic but not about same kid ...how many Illinois wrestlers will leave there current Indiana hs and go back to there Illinois school to compete since they start wrestling up I believe in April ... that will be proof that certain schools are recruiting .. 

1 minute ago, tommyho said:

Same topic but not about same kid ...how many Illinois wrestlers will leave there current Indiana hs and go back to there Illinois school to compete since they start wrestling up I believe in April ... that will be proof that certain schools are recruiting .. 

Will it be?  Who is to say these kids or their parents didn’t seek out the schools themselves because they weren’t able to wrestle in Illinois?

1 hour ago, tommyho said:

They are not having state in Illinois, so unless going through all that just to wrestle a bunch of matches with no reward, I don't see it.

Edited by busstogate
grammar

I believe the school the athlete is leaving has 3options to “sign off”:  unconditionally, conditionally, or not at all.  Family has to bring it in front of the IHSAA from there.  The only hearing I’ve been close to the ihsaa did not give varsity eligibility only JV for a year.  

Without knowing all the background and discussions..

Accepting transfers while at the same time denying a young man and his family from transferring away from your school seems very bush-league. You may hate it in the short term as a coach, but in the end you can never feel too bad letting a young man participate in a sport and your reputation will be better in the long run

10 hours ago, tommyho said:

So then did they actually physically move as a family including every sibling ? Cause if not the ihsaa should have not allowed it , just saying .. 

if you call the family physically moving, the kid moving in with other wrestlers or in the basement of coaches, then yes it is completely legal and the IHSAA did good on this one. 

01780321-9B6E-45B8-8D78-8A368A904C4F.jpeg

On 2/1/2021 at 9:50 PM, CaveMonster said:

if you call the family physically moving, the kid moving in with other wrestlers or in the basement of coaches, then yes it is completely legal and the IHSAA did good on this one. 

01780321-9B6E-45B8-8D78-8A368A904C4F.jpeg

I agree he shoulda been allowed , and penn hs shame on u , isn’t the sport about the kids ? At what point did we make it about coaches and schools feelings being hurt ? 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.