Sectional Scoring

Paycheck141

In a sectional with 8 or less teams they use a 8 man bracket. Here are 2 sectionals with less than 8 teams, both have 7 teams entered. For those sectionals with 7 teams their would be one bye per weight. Here is how it is scored.

A bye is worth 2 points only if the wrestler wins his next match.

A forfeit, pin, injury default, or disqualification is worth 2 bonus points. 

A tech fall is worth 1.5 bonus points.

A major decision is worth 1 bonus point.

A decision does not earn a bonus point.

Each time you win in the championship part of the bracket you get 2 advancement points.

Each time you win in the consolation part of the bracket you get 1 advancement point.

There is no advancement point awarded for winning a placement match. 

Placement points

16 = champion

12 = 2nd place

9 = 3rd place

7 = 4th place

5 = 5th place

3 = 6th place

Placement points are awarded as you go, not all together at the end of the placement matches. For example in the championship match both wrestlers will have already received 12 placement points for placing at least 2nd. The winner will receive 4 more placement points and any bonus points they might earn. 

In a sectional with 9 or more teams no points are scored in the first round. If you have a bye in the first round you will not get any points for winning your 2nd round match. This is the only difference between a 8 man or 16 man bracket.

Edited by chambers

2 hours ago, Paycheck141 said:

This may be a stupid question but if someone gets a bye and then a fft does that count as winning your next match or does it have to be against a real opponent?

Not stupid.  Yes, if you have a bye and then a FF, then technically your next match was completed and you won, thus giving you the 2 advancement points.

2 hours ago, Paycheck141 said:

This may be a stupid question but if someone gets a bye and then a fft does that count as winning your next match or does it have to be against a real opponent?

Indiana is one of the few states that count forfeits in an individual bracketed tournament. Most states just put in byes instead of forfeits. The byes only get you 2 points IF you win your NEXT match. The forfeits get a team 4 points(2 points advancement + 2 forfeit/pin).

Note the rat tail or 16 man round does not count for anything. Scoring starts at the quarter-finals at sectional, thus forfeits, pins, major decisions, AND byes don't count. 

16 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Note the rat tail or 16 man round does not count for anything. Scoring starts at the quarter-finals at sectional, thus forfeits, pins, major decisions, AND byes don't count. 

I always thought this was an unfortunate rule and should be re-thought.    I guess there's two perspectives.   The rule was derived as some coaches thought the team that  had a wrestler in the rat-tail round had a small advantage of gaining bonus points(pin, tech or major) and an advancement point. Of course only happens if they win the rat tail match.     But the other perspective is getting placed in the rat tail round sucks, the wrestler faces the dilemma of a one and done day if he loses and cant score any points for his team under a loss, which I consider a big disadvantage.   So IMO, if a wrestler gets the bad draw and gets stuck in the rat tail,  he should also receive the team scoring benefits of winning the match and be scored instead of ignoring this for team purposes.  Its like a double whammy,  you get a bad draw and your match doesnt count  if you win.     Of course this silly rule was the impetus for the silly rule of not scoring the first round  at semi-state and state in prior years as we had to be consistent in our dislogic over the whole tournament.   Gratefully,  that most silly rule was corrected at the semi-state and state level two years ago.

7 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

I always thought this was an unfortunate rule and should be re-thought.    I guess there's two perspectives.   The rule was derived as some coaches thought the team that  had a wrestler in the rat-tail round had a small advantage of gaining bonus points(pin, tech or major) and an advancement point. Of course only happens if they win the rat tail match.     But the other perspective is getting placed in the rat tail round sucks, the wrestler faces the dilemma of a one and done day if he loses and cant score any points for his team under a loss, which I consider a big disadvantage.   So IMO, if a wrestler gets the bad draw and gets stuck in the rat tail,  he should also receive the team scoring benefits of winning the match and be scored instead of ignoring this for team purposes.  Its like a double whammy,  you get a bad draw and your match doesnt count  if you win.     Of course this silly rule was the impetus for the silly rule of not scoring the first round  at semi-state and state in prior years as we had to be consistent in our dislogic over the whole tournament.   Gratefully,  that most silly rule was corrected at the semi-state and state level two years ago.

It was done in the era of the blind rat-tail draw. This meant by "luck" teams got more matches and likely were pins and an easy 4 points. Now that we draw in those rat-tails into the pseudo 7 and 8 seeds this isn't as much of a factor because the teams battling it out for a sectional title rarely have kids in that spot.

35 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

It was done in the era of the blind rat-tail draw. This meant by "luck" teams got more matches and likely were pins and an easy 4 points. Now that we draw in those rat-tails into the pseudo 7 and 8 seeds this isn't as much of a factor because the teams battling it out for a sectional title rarely have kids in that spot.

Joe, am I correct in saying that the blind draws should go into the 7th/8th place brackets?  That would make perfect sense, and be great.  However, doesn't appear to be the case, as you can see at 145 at the Oak Hill sectional.  A sophomore with a 1-14 record draws a first round bye, while a 4-4 senior draws into a rat-tail match and will likely be sent home.  I hate to see it - would like those non-seeded kids (especially seniors) to get a better chance to get to wrestlebacks and earn a trip to Regionals.  In the same bracket, another young man has a rat-tail round against the 1st seed - so he will get no chance for wrestleback

9 minutes ago, base said:

Joe, am I correct in saying that the blind draws should go into the 7th/8th place brackets?  That would make perfect sense, and be great.  However, doesn't appear to be the case, as you can see at 145 at the Oak Hill sectional.  A sophomore with a 1-14 record draws a first round bye, while a 4-4 senior draws into a rat-tail match and will likely be sent home.  I hate to see it - would like those non-seeded kids (especially seniors) to get a better chance to get to wrestlebacks and earn a trip to Regionals.  In the same bracket, another young man has a rat-tail round against the 1st seed - so he will get no chance for wrestleback

You are correct Zeb Taylor should be on line #3 in that bracket.

132 at Doah #1 seed (27-1)Thrine has no match till finals vs Presumably#2 seed 31-1 Centervilles Frazier who only has 1 match to make finals..I was wondering how this would effect the scoring.. Not really feeling the whole no match till the finals, that is one though first match of the day if Frazier takes care of business.. These could see each other up to 4 or 5x this year (already Wrestled this season) if they take care of business...32 is the most loaded Weight, Depth wise that I might've ever seen.. When the returning 8th placer Shelton is ranked 14 that is unreal! Regardless, good luck to everyone this weekend and have safe Healthy travels along the way!

2 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Where is the rule located that says we draw in those rat-tails into the pseudo 7 and 8 seeds?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.