State Finals Details

decbell1

15 hours ago, decbell1 said:

It appears the IHSAA is leaning towards two sessions on Friday night with the lower weights starting at noon and the upper weights at 7 p.m. 

Mr. Faulkens is expected to come on our show again either this week or next with more details

Hopefully this is the only schedule change since they're seemingly ok with 112 wrestlers in the building at once and that wouldn't have to be an issue on Saturday. I guess Friday losers gather around screens on Saturday like the rest of us. Super bizarre year.

30 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

The biggest issue I see is potential supervision of athletes. On Friday if a team qualifies a 113lber and 170lber, where do they "hang out" while the other is wrestling? The same goes for Saturday if some kids are eliminated and some are not?

Not to mention, it would suck no getting to see your teammates wrestle

6 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Not to mention, it would suck no getting to see your teammates wrestle

Yeah, this is what I was getting at with my comment. You earn a state berth and then have to watch from your hotel or living room on Saturday if you lose Friday. Sucks for everyone not to be there, but that does seem like another level of suckiness.

13 minutes ago, maligned said:

Yeah, this is what I was getting at with my comment. You earn a state berth and then have to watch from your hotel or living room on Saturday if you lose Friday. Sucks for everyone not to be there, but that does seem like another level of suckiness.

Yeah, I was thinking as much about Friday too.  If you're a 170lber, you don't get to watch a 120 lb teammate wrestle? What if said 120 lber is your brother?  If you have already wrestled in the first session, you can't find an empty seat somewhere or stay with your teammates to watch your brother wrestle?  If mom and dad are there to watch the brother in session 2, where does the brother who has already wrestled go?  That gets back to Y2's point.  Surely there are situations like those.  As much as it is an individual competition, there is still definitely a team element to it.

Edited by SWINfan

They had 1000 fans and multiple suites open last night for the Pacer game. I think I counted 9 suites that were occupied on the lower level. The entire upper balcony was closed off by curtains. The Club and lower level had seats distanced in 4s and 2s sectioned off with a fancy version of duct tape. There were hundreds of coaches, media, participants on the floor. The floor space is incredibly expanded with the new bleachers and “end zone” entertainment/restaurant design from the would-be All-Star Game that was to happen last spring. 

The one thing that will be awesome going forward for the finals is the new scoreboard. It is incredible to

watch the action despite where your seat is with 4 new LED big screens draped under the original scoreboard. 

4E083F48-3A2F-468A-851B-DA2386E47B39.jpeg

2 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Yeah, I was thinking as much about Friday too.  If you're a 170lber, you don't get to watch a 120 lb teammate wrestle? What if said 120 lber is your brother?  If you have already wrestled in the first session, you can't find an empty seat somewhere or stay with your teammates to watch your brother wrestle?  If mom and dad are there to watch the brother in session 2, where does the brother who has already wrestled go?  That gets back to Y2's point.  Surely there are situations like those.  As much as it is an individual competition, there is still definitely a team element to it.

This is why Edgewood intends on qualifying their entire team for day 2; to ensure we have a giant section of fans for our team.

3 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

The biggest issue I see is potential supervision of athletes. On Friday if a team qualifies a 113lber and 170lber, where do they "hang out" while the other is wrestling? The same goes for Saturday if some kids are eliminated and some are not?

Majority of these High School wrestlers know of each other and can “hang out”  and not have to be supervised like a 2nd grader I hope. 

I don't disagree with you however when affiliated with a high school you have to account for supervision when it comes to students especially of they're traveling with the team. Its one thing for a student coming on there own as a spectator. But most school are going to expect some form of supervision for those competing. 

5 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

Majority of these High School wrestlers know of each other and can “hang out”  and not have to be supervised like a 2nd grader I hope. 

39 minutes ago, Cville75 said:

I just seen on the news tonight that whoever is in charge of Bankers Life is going to open up the balcony for more seats for Pacer games. So why not for IHSAA Wrestling State Finals. 

I'll have to check Twitter, but I questioned them when they announced it. See if I got a reply or not.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.