Brackets

Thor

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

Are we going to have to wait til Wednesday to see the brackets? Or will they be released earlier?

I was wondering the same thing!

I'm always excited to see the state tournament but this year I feel extra starved for knowledge with all the craziness and potential for people to not be wrestling or move weight classes!

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

Are we going to have to wait til Wednesday to see the brackets? Or will they be released earlier?

I was looking through all of them on Track Wrestling. Looks like some brackets are still being built. Maybe when they are all done later tonight?

3 minutes ago, Fanatec01 said:

Is that who it is?  Come on, can't leave us hanging until Wednesday!

I only know that because the plan was for him to be clear to wrestle at sectional. I have no clue who he drew, but he’s 0-0 with no high school matches, so he’s definitely in the blind draw. Wouldn’t be shocked if he drew into the one seed first round. That should be Trevor Currie. 

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

I only know that because the plan was for him to be clear to wrestle at sectional. I have no clue who he drew, but he’s 0-0 with no high school matches, so he’s definitely in the blind draw. Wouldn’t be shocked if he drew into the one seed first round. That should be Trevor Currie. 

Duke is very good, could see him making a nice run if completely healthy.

4 hours ago, formercollegekid said:

I was wondering the same thing!

I'm always excited to see the state tournament but this year I feel extra starved for knowledge with all the craziness and potential for people to not be wrestling or move weight classes!

It was told to us brackets released this Weds.

9 hours ago, Thor said:

From the IHSAA Winter Bulletin

Coaches should strive to keep open minds when seeding assignments are being decided. The main objective of seeding is to have outstanding wrestlers separated in the brackets so that they will not meet each other until the finals. Seeding shall be based upon the wrestler's proven ability and not upon the desire for unwarranted advantage.

1 hour ago, jetwrestling said:

Coaches should strive to keep open minds when seeding assignments are being decided. The main objective of seeding is to have outstanding wrestlers separated in the brackets so that they will not meet each other until the finals. Seeding shall be based upon the wrestler's proven ability and not upon the desire for unwarranted advantage.

This happened a few years ago in our sectional with Tony Benedict from Kokomo. His coach didn’t mind him going in unseeded with a 1-0 recorded but the other coaches voted to put him as the number 1 seed.

1 hour ago, jetwrestling said:

While this should be used in a few cases, according to the prior post the issue is likely that he was 0-0 with no high school matches. That make it a little harder to determine the optimal spot to put him in compared to some other wrestlers whose coaches want to get them into decent position too.  It may not workout well for someone in the end, but with not much high school information to go on it sounds like the coaches were willing to roll the dice on where he would land. 

Edited by MattM

26 minutes ago, MattM said:

While this should be used in a few cases, according to the prior post the issue is likely that he was 0-0 with no high school matches. That make it a little harder to determine the optimal spot to put him in compared to some other wrestlers whose coaches want to get them into decent position too.  It may not workout well for someone in the end, but with not much high school information to go on it’s apparent the coaches were willing to roll the dice on where he would land. 

We had a wrestler in our sectional who was 0-0 but all the coaches agreed to put him in at the 6th seed because he went to semi-state last year. 

Edited by bbulldog152

1 hour ago, bbulldog152 said:

We had a wrestler in our sectional who was 0-0 but all the coaches agreed to put him in at the 6th seed because he went to semi-state last year. 

Other than the “use common sense” statement listed above, there is a part of the seeding criteria that says “semi-state quarter finalist or higher” and another that says “farthest advancement in the pervious years state tournament series” which give some credit to the prior years accomplishments and often covers most of those issues.   There is sometimes squabbling over getting the advancement one with the must have 10 matches Winning Percentage criteria, that’s where again the  the “use common sense” statement could be used if enough coaches feel strongly strongly about it.   

Edited by MattM

31 minutes ago, MattM said:

Other than the “use common sense” statement listed above, there is a part of the seeding criteria that says “semi-state quarter finalist or higher” and another that says “farthest advancement in the pervious years state tournament series” which give some credit to the prior years accomplishments and often covers most of those issues.   There is sometimes squabbling over getting the advancement one with the must have 10 matches Winning Percentage criteria, that’s where again the  the “use common sense” statement could be used if enough coaches feel strongly strongly about it.   

I agree, the question brought up was what 1 or 2 seed wants to face a potential top 4 wrestler in the first round? I know we want our wrestlers to go as far as possible but it shouldn't be because someone else didn't get placed where they probably should because of an injury or contract tracing. 

I wish the sport of wrestling would come up with a way to mitigate the risk of potential mis-seeding or unfortunate random draws.  Something that would allow a wrestler who lost early in the tournament to come back and place high enough to advance to the next round of the tournament. It would be particularly helpful for losers of the quarterfinal round of regional and semi-state. It could have a catchy name, too

8 minutes ago, Silence Dogood said:

I wish the sport of wrestling would come up with a way to mitigate the risk of potential mis-seeding or unfortunate random draws.  Something that would allow a wrestler who lost early in the tournament to come back and place high enough to advance to the next round of the tournament. It would be particularly helpful for losers of the quarterfinal round of regional and semi-state. It could have a catchy name, 

seed proofing

Backside tournament 

The underdog story

The comebacks

Getitrights

True 5th

Not winners but not losers

I feel like the right words are just on the tip of my tongue...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.