Imagine if..

Imagine if you were graduating this year as a two time state champ. These are your credit nails. 9th- 4th at 113. 10th- 3rd at 120. 11th- 1st at 126. 12th-1st at 132. You have went to Fargo a few times but never placed. You have placed 7th at junior nationals and you got 1st at the IHPO

You have Purdue offering 40% scholarship, IU offering 50%, and Illinois offering 45% but programs like CMU, Northern Illinois, and Kent State offering 100%. 

Where are you going?

58 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

You go where you are going to fit in with the team best and they have the area you want to study. Those two things are way more important than how much money you are getting.

Exactly.

Obviously this fella isn’t an elite wrestler and chances are he never will go past the 4or 5 years he wrestles in college. So this takes the big stage out of the equation for me. If I don’t have money at all to use then it narrows it further for me. I’m not sure to many graduates know exactly what they specifically want to get their degree in at the his stage of their academic Careers. the schools that are interested in you must of had a need thus the offer, but I’m looking hard at what it takes to get into the starting line up with each team. Being successful at one of the big ten offers would probably be harder than at a school in a lesser conference. 
If I can hold my own I’m at big school. Only if I have the money. Otherwise I pick one of the 100% schools 

2 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

You go where you are going to fit in with the team best and they have the area you want to study. Those two things are way more important than how much money you are getting.

So.. which one would you choose?

I echo Disco’s sentiments. He’s got 4 years of wrestling and a lot can change in his wrestling ability/passion/development. He should go where he’s comfortable and fits and has a path (note not a guarantee) to start or have an impact. The degree is the priority and to be able to get one debt free is a great start in life. 

With that said, I’d go to CMU. #FireUpChips

1 hour ago, navy80 said:

So.. which one would you choose?

I think he's saying, and I feel the same....

There are too many unknowns based on the information given.  Choosing a school has many factors, some pertaining to the sport, many not - some which have already been mentioned.  Size of school, how you fit in, the culture, fields of study, additional scholarship $ available (non-athletic), where your girlfriend is going, blah blah blah.  

Athletically, how do you fit in with the team? Depth chart?  Do you prefer to be a little fish in a medium sized pond or a big fish in a smaller pond?

On 1/21/2021 at 11:45 AM, navy80 said:

Imagine if you were graduating this year as a two time state champ. These are your credit nails. 9th- 4th at 113. 10th- 3rd at 120. 11th- 1st at 126. 12th-1st at 132. You have went to Fargo a few times but never placed. You have placed 7th at junior nationals and you got 1st at the IHPO

You have Purdue offering 40% scholarship, IU offering 50%, and Illinois offering 45% but programs like CMU, Northern Illinois, and Kent State offering 100%. 

Where are you going?

The MAC is an awesome conference. We all know that my son chose that route. He’s left my house a week after graduation and hasn’t looked back. He has not asked me for a dime. He’s proud that’s he earned his own way (between wrestling and academic money). He’s got a shot at being a five year D1 starter and is on the deans list. He’s there with 3 other kids that he grew up with too. He has been fortunate and it appears that he chose a great fit for him. 

But.. there is no right or wrong answer. It all comes down to what works for the kid. No two situations will ever be the same. 

We do supply him with sun beam bread, jiff peanut butter, and welches jelly. But, that’s about it. 

Some of my sons buddies are at the big ten schools. Most feel like they have made great choices also. 

No right or wrong choice.. just good or better choice. Congrats to any kid that gets to the point to make that choice. 

On 1/22/2021 at 11:25 PM, Mattyb said:

The MAC is an awesome conference. We all know that my son chose that route. He’s left my house a week after graduation and hasn’t looked back. He has not asked me for a dime. He’s proud that’s he earned his own way (between wrestling and academic money). He’s got a shot at being a five year D1 starter and is on the deans list. He’s there with 3 other kids that he grew up with too. He has been fortunate and it appears that he chose a great fit for him. 

But.. there is no right or wrong answer. It all comes down to what works for the kid. No two situations will ever be the same. 

We do supply him with sun beam bread, jiff peanut butter, and welches jelly. But, that’s about it. 

Some of my sons buddies are at the big ten schools. Most feel like they have made great choices also. 

No right or wrong choice.. just good or better choice. Congrats to any kid that gets to the point to make that choice. 

Finally gave out that recipe, I'm about to make sure all the kids Around here about miss Weight gorging on this mystic Meal!

On 1/21/2021 at 2:50 PM, SWINfan said:

I think he's saying, and I feel the same....

There are too many unknowns based on the information given.  Choosing a school has many factors, some pertaining to the sport, many not - some which have already been mentioned.  Size of school, how you fit in, the culture, fields of study, additional scholarship $ available (non-athletic), where your girlfriend is going, blah blah blah.  

Athletically, how do you fit in with the team? Depth chart?  Do you prefer to be a little fish in a medium sized pond or a big fish in a smaller pond?

Don't ever base your decision on where your HS girlfriend is going.

I wouldn't count on those percentages all 4 years. I've heard of kids that go to D1 and D2 on a percentage and have a winning record as varsity only to be offered less the next year! Also, heard of kids have percentages given to stay.

Go year by year and find a situation that is best for the wrestler.