224 State Qualifiers Can't be Together?!

CoachLuzadder

In an email read yesterday, the IHSAA stated that as of now all 224 wrestlers will not be allowed in Bankers Life at the same time.  This makes absolutely no sense to me and would love to hear the justification.  Look at these numbers...

Bankers Life holds 20,000 people at full capacity.  If they were told that they could only use 25%... that would be 5,000.

224 Wrestlers

896 in fans (4 tickets per wrestler on Friday, even less needed for Saturday)

448 in Coaching tickets (2 coaches per kid.  Obviously this number is higher than it needs to be due to the fact that the same coaches will be coaching multiple kids.  Just humor me on the number for now)

That is a total of 1,568. That leaves 3,432 in workers from Media, Officials, Gate keepers, Table help, etc......   

No "Parade of Champions" all on the floor at the same time...I get that, but football State finals had fans, Colts have fans...Let the young men have their day with their families!!!  Just my 1/2 cent on a Tuesday!

I think the issue with 224 wrestlers is that they will not all be spread out throughout the arena in the seats. They will be in a confined space with each other. The capacity of the arena floor and the hallways down below is what probably matters there. 

Or perhaps the idea is by separating weight classes into "sessions," it actually allows MORE family member tickets per wrestler? That was the concept behind some of the pre-season tournaments we attended. You'd clear the facility out between sessions and the next group of competitors and fans would then be permitted in. Not saying it's a good or bad idea, but might be part of the thinking going on here . . .

11 minutes ago, Matt Time said:

Or perhaps the idea is by separating weight classes into "sessions," it actually allows MORE family member tickets per wrestler? That was the concept behind some of the pre-season tournaments we attended. You'd clear the facility out between sessions and the next group of competitors and fans would then be permitted in. Not saying it's a good or bad idea, but might be part of the thinking going on here . . .

I hope you're right big dog!

Let’s quit the faux-fear here. By the time everyone gets to Bankers Life, no one will know who has it, who has been vaccinated, who doesn’t give a sheet, and who can plow through a possible symptom to win a title. If you are 60 or older, don’t come if you are a fan, coach, or ref. Or, if you do, get a vaccine in the next 4.5 weeks. Otherwise, get the kids in the arena w parents or immediate family, and have a tournament. 

Football had 75 kids in the locker rooms together 6 different times (or a few less for 1A-3A). They spaced the loved ones perfectly with assigned seats, but no way they sterilized the locker rooms and no one cared. 

The pandemic is about over. IHSAA shouldn’t pump the brakes now and the wrestling community sure as heck shouldn’t give them pause. We are the best sport after all. Let’s get everyone in the arena and make moves. We are setting the bar for this fractured country. Let’s keep charging. 

As long as their is a state finals we all are good. If they decide to limit spectators, multiple sessions or whatever they decide to do is okay in my opinion as long as the kids can have their state tournament. As a fan of the sport I am willing to give up my attendance and just pay for it on track or whatever stream they decide to go with. At the end of they day this is about the kids not us parents, friends, and coaches. The ihsaa has done an awesome job this season and I trust them not to let us down. 

3 hours ago, Shoey said:

Let’s quit the faux-fear here. By the time everyone gets to Bankers Life, no one will know who has it, who has been vaccinated, who doesn’t give a sheet, and who can plow through a possible symptom to win a title. If you are 60 or older, don’t come if you are a fan, coach, or ref. Or, if you do, get a vaccine in the next 4.5 weeks. Otherwise, get the kids in the arena w parents or immediate family, and have a tournament. 

Football had 75 kids in the locker rooms together 6 different times (or a few less for 1A-3A). They spaced the loved ones perfectly with assigned seats, but no way they sterilized the locker rooms and no one cared. 

The pandemic is about over. IHSAA shouldn’t pump the brakes now and the wrestling community sure as heck shouldn’t give them pause. We are the best sport after all. Let’s get everyone in the arena and make moves. We are setting the bar for this fractured country. Let’s keep charging. 

Not close to over at all with the slow and erratic vaccine distribution and side effect reactions.  You may be in a hurry and wanting to follow misguided politicians in reassuring us everything is going to be great in short order, but that is sure as hell not what is taking place.  

6 hours ago, Shoey said:

^^^WHAT THIS GUY SAID!!! 1,000%

Hat’s off to IHSAA and all the coaches/AD’s for a job well done!!!

Crazy year....but let’s get on with it!!

8 hours ago, busstogate said:

Not close to over at all with the slow and erratic vaccine distribution and side effect reactions.  You may be in a hurry and wanting to follow misguided politicians in reassuring us everything is going to be great in short order, but that is sure as hell not what is taking place.  

Thanks Sally Sadpants...

By next week everyone in Indiana over the age of 60 will be eligible for the vaccine. This is in addition to first responders and healthcare workers that have already had the vaccine. By the time the Finals roll around in 4 weeks, everyone that wants 2 shots will have access to it that doesn’t already have the antibodies. So, keep pace and let’s have a full tournament. Call it a miraculous recovery from our new President Joe if you want. But don’t call it some debilitating virus anymore. It just simply isn’t. 

if you can’t get the vaccine in your county, drive to Indy. Plenty of places to get a vaccine down there if over 70. Next week it will be over 60. Coronavirus.in.gov for an appointment. 

26 minutes ago, Shoey said:

Thanks Sally Sadpants...

By next week everyone in Indiana over the age of 60 will be eligible for the vaccine. This is in addition to first responders and healthcare workers that have already had the vaccine. By the time the Finals roll around in 4 weeks, everyone that wants 2 shots will have access to it that doesn’t already have the antibodies. So, keep pace and let’s have a full tournament. Call it a miraculous recovery from our new President Joe if you want. But don’t call it some debilitating virus anymore. It just simply isn’t. 

if you can’t get the vaccine in your county, drive to Indy. Plenty of places to get a vaccine down there if over 70. Next week it will be over 60. Coronavirus.in.gov for an appointment. 

There are about 400,000 dead Americans who would disagree if they could. But, hey you don't need reminding when you have everything figured out. Happy herding!

There is no way that we can’t social distance 224 wrestlers, about 200 coaches, 100 workers and refs and 1,000 fans at bankers life. 

Mask up, respect each other’s space, and make it work.

How is anybody questioning if this can happen? We all know that we have wrestling going on in smaller venues with a smaller space to people ratio.

Why is it ok to have a middle school 8 way dual in a single middle school gym with two fans per wrestler and not state in a massive venue with tons of space? 

There is no conformity. This is many peoples frustration. I can see why people think it’s faux-fear.

Also... if you are high risk or need to spend time with high risk individuals... please stay home. 

btw... again..  my dad is 69 and has stage 4 cancer. They haven’t allowed him a shot yet. I haven’t seen him in months. I don’t go around him because I coach and go to places like wrestling events. Can’t wait until he gets his shot soon! 

Please tell me we can have a version of the face offs in the finals! These kids will be on that mat wrestling each other, so please let them cross the mat and shake hands! I get not having all 28 of them on the mat, but at least do it weight class by weight class. Maybe that could be each individuals entrance on the mat and then shake hands and start it off?

10 hours ago, casualwrestlingfan said:

Please tell me we can have a version of the face offs in the finals! These kids will be on that mat wrestling each other, so please let them cross the mat and shake hands! I get not having all 28 of them on the mat, but at least do it weight class by weight class. Maybe that could be each individuals entrance on the mat and then shake hands and start it off?

It would be plain silly not to...We'd basically be saying, "Sure, roll around exchanging breath and sweat for six minutes. However, you cannot run past each other and stop briefly to shake hands because that is too risky."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.