The Venerable Mike Venable.

GenHeavyHandz

I know it maybe hard for you guys to believe: Whitko once had the lower weights on lock.  When I was watching the state finals last year at 132 there was a Matt Koontz.  I thought he was the son of my wrestling buddie: Matt Koontz 112lb state champion from Whitko in 1989.  I was wrong.  But it got me uber nostalgic because those guys were cool and fun to watch.  I remember Koontz pinned my brother his Junior year and like 20 seconds.  He didn’t cheer: he just went about his business.  Koontz won state: nobody wanted to scrap with 103lber Venable. 
 My teammate Kevin Miguel who got 6th that year: said Venable was like wrestling a real wildcat!  We actually went to Manchester together for a year but then he left.  I saw him at the Inn one night when me and Rodney “Pack a Day” Bolden thought we would bump some Wu-Tang on the Juke.  Venable was the bartender.  Needless to say there were a couple guys who didn’t like our tune selection and chose to call us some “colorful names”.  Now our exploits are the stuff of legend at the Chet: we could handle ourselves.  But Venable obviously didn’t like racist and what happened next I will just say I didn’t know a 120 lb man could be so darn brutal.  Cheers to the Venerable Mike Venable and if you are ever at a Low Bob’s: you just might see a Legend in my eyes.  Go Kats!

That's some good stuff.  They were both very fun to watch.  I ran into Koontz at our kid's soccer tournament in Fort Wayne a couple years ago and he was in the process of buying a Jimmy John's in Huntington I believe.  He does have a high school aged son now but he was only playing soccer when I saw him.  Venable was really good and could have won it all but had a bad day at state - it happens.

10 hours ago, rdrodd1 said:

That sounds like it would be just about as bad as walking into the Golden Ace on the east side of Indy and starting a fight.  Don't know which McGinley you're going to get.  Hell, I think there is a thousand of them.

There are still some coming up as we speak.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.