Possibility of no fans at both semi state and state?

The Zebra

47 minutes ago, TripleB said:

I'm thinking you presume wrong, the wording leads me to believe it'll just be the finals. 

Yeah, sarcasm. 

If this is actually the case, seems like track should be able to cover the other matches?

On 1/23/2021 at 12:26 PM, formercollegekid said:

Sounds like its exclusive.... after sectionals there won't be any other way to watch the matches. Some programs have already asked if they could stream matches if they focused only on one school and they were told no.

Anyone can post a live Facebook stream. 

Edited by goalittlegreco

I... Mattyb do hereby make the Commitment to Facebook one of the four mats during the whole weekend. Just get me a chair on the floor for the weekend. 

I am willing To make the sacrifice for all of the Indiana wrestling fans. 

Now... we just need 3 more dedicated fans, that will pledge to stay sober during all the breaks, to bring us the other three mats.

What say all?????!!!!

31 minutes ago, Mattyb said:

I... Mattyb do hereby make the Commitment to Facebook one of the four mats during the whole weekend. Just get me a chair on the floor for the weekend. 

I am willing To make the sacrifice for all of the Indiana wrestling fans. 

Now... we just need 3 more dedicated fans, that will pledge to stay sober during all the breaks, to bring us the other three mats.

What say all?????!!!!

I'm in!

23 hours ago, IU89 said:

So... 20 people people out of 1,400 that attended were diagnosed as positive after this event. That is less than 2% that attended. Per the WHO, a 5% positivity rate is the "too high" threshold. So... is fake news.... I mean.... CNN saying that they did a good job?  Not sure what this story means? I guess it means that these folks did a crappy job wearing mask, and still had an infection rate below 2%. With that said... I think if we do a good job masking up, we can even cut that number way down!!!

Am I wrong?

Shouldn't the headlines say.. "Infected people attended an event with 1,400 people. Due to limited attendance, masking, social distancing, and other measures the infection rate remained under 2%" 

I guess I'm just a glass half full kind of guy. 

Edited by Mattyb

1 hour ago, Mattyb said:

So... 20 people people out of 1,400 that attended were diagnosed as positive after this event. That is less than 2% that attended. Per the WHO, a 5% positivity rate is the "too high" threshold. So... is fake news.... I mean.... CNN saying that they did a good job?  Not sure what this story means? I guess it means that these folks did a crappy job wearing mask, and still had an infection rate below 2%. With that said... I think if we do a good job masking up, we can even cut that number way down!!!

Am I wrong?

Shouldn't the headlines say.. "Infected people attended an event with 1,400 people. Due to limited attendance, masking, social distancing, and other measures the infection rate remained under 2%" 

I guess I'm just a glass half full kind of guy. 

The update on that story today is that 38 people have tested positive from that event out of the 54 people tested so far. That’s a 70% positivity rate. Better slow your roll until everyone is tested there Chief. 

6 hours ago, IU89 said:

The update on that story today is that 38 people have tested positive from that event out of the 54 people tested so far. That’s a 70% positivity rate. Better slow your roll until everyone is tested there Chief. 

My point is like in most situations when your dealing with numbers, you can twist them to support your side or point of view. Clearly CNN is in the fear for views or clicks business. 

I just think that WE can do this the right way. What does this article have to do with the price of tea in China? Nothing. Can we learn from it? Maybe. 

I still think with the proper measures we can continue to hold events and have a semi-successful end to our season. 

It’s just my humble opinion (which I’m entitled too Chief). Again, glass half full guy here. 

I’m curious... what’s your takeaway from this story? Do you think we should shut down? Or do you agree with my take on moving forward and use this story as a reminder to continue to take the proper measures? 

Comparing official high school events and some of the "club" level events operated by third parties is like comparing apples and oranges. At one pre-season club event I attended that had all age groups, duals and individual there were WAAAAAY too many people. Snot nosed tikes running about, grandparents in wheelchairs, people crowding the mats, etc. Even in a non-pandemic year, these things sometimes feel like a loosely organized prison fight.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, all of the official high school events we've participated in have been well organized. Attendance limited to immediate family (parents and siblings). Seating generally grouped by team, etc. People being generous, smart and giving each other their space. Host schools kept extra cleaning staff on hand to continuously wipe down commonly touched surfaces.  

With the regular season now over, I would suggest that what the Indiana High School wrestling teams, coaches, schools have pulled off this year was an incredible success. We did NOT hear reports of massive spread between wrestlers in practice, duals or tournaments. We did NOT hear any stories about getting fans in attendance sick.

Wrestling is a misunderstood sport even in good times. At a lot of schools, even our principals and ADs were skeptical about whether wrestling should proceed. But we did what wrestlers do. We looked at the rules, added our own common sense, stayed focused and disciplined. People didn't think we could pull it off, but we did. Not hanging a "victory" banner just yet, but just look at what we accomplished. We should give ourselves a little credit (because nobody else will!).

On 1/24/2021 at 11:52 PM, Cosgrove said:

Well find the local bars to go hangout at 9am to drink and watch the matches on TV mask free hahaha eat some pizza, wings and drink some beer or shots. 

I know a thing or two about Franklin Street, I think Corner Bar/Leroy's Tavern will be calling my name for a Slim Jim (32 oz draft) and a few slices of Leroy's pizza!

Per WTHR website article.

Pacers will increase capacity from the current 1,000 fans allowed as The Marion County Health Department allows Bankers Life Field House to be at 25% capacity, which is around 4500 fans.

Hope is not lost, hopefully the IHSAA follows suit.

5 minutes ago, WadeDuPont said:

Per WTHR website article.

Pacers will increase capacity from the current 1,000 fans allowed as The Marion County Health Department allows Bankers Life Field House to be at 25% capacity, which is around 4500 fans.

Hope is not lost, hopefully the IHSAA follows suit.

The state was full of red counties last week, now almost all are orange and some yellow. Hopefully this trend continues the next few weeks and this opens things up a bit more. 

I browsed the website of the expo center mentioned in the article. i'd imagine the set up for seating and the hvac for the venues were not near what is needed. I'd imagine that if we were to take a 100% population sample for Covid 19 antibodies -- we'd all be amazed at the rate of individuals expressing antibody production! That would indicate higher rates of exposure without likely clinically symptomatic cases.

As we saw early in the pandemic when testing supplies were scarce, there were high rates of positivitiy since the only individuals getting tested were those that were symptomatic. If the rate in the parrish (county) is similar to the overall rate of positives/tested, then there would be no difference than the general population. the only real way to definitively correlate this would likely be to test all 1400 attendees.

To me, it would be interesting to test athletes competing in that LA event to assess positivity rate vs. testing the entire 1400 in attendance.

@Mattyb, hope i didn't drone on too much for ya... 😉

Wondering if it will still be immediate family only. Even split into two groups, every session will have 112 wrestlers. If each wrestler is allowed 2 coaches, that makes 336 participants per session. If each of those participants is allowed 4 guests, that puts the spectator total at 1344. That leaves 656 (say 600 for a round number) actual fans that would be able to get in.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.