Dark Horses

Anyone got any dark horse picks this year? Here are mine.

106- I think Seng can win it all, coached him this summer and he’s the real deal. Think he’s always been undersized until this year really. Also, think Tishner from Western can place high and compete with anyone.

113- This one is tough. Outside the top 4 I can’t see anyone else winning and throw Cottey into the mix and it’s a party. I think Demarco can shock some people in the state series.

120- I think Tony Wood from Jay County is very solid and could place. I also like Preston Teusch from HN to place high.

126- Don’t think anyone can really contend with Zeke but some dark horses to place could be guys like Bertch, Wolf, Dedman and Uhlman. Ft. Wayne is stacked at this weight.

132- Absolutely loaded weight, hard to pick a dark horse here really but I could see Solomey, Stroud and Thrine shocking some people.

138- No one touches Jesse but Brody Arthur, Glithero, Aj Gunn and Roberts could all do some damage.

145-  look for Naselroad to be a dark horse and I like Hayden Shepherd breaking through and getting on the podium this year after being a 2x qualifier.

152- Another pretty deep weight class. I think there are numerous guys that win it all. Maybe Koontz here as well? I think anyone 1-11 can win.  Tyler Williams is a good dark horse he’s been wrestling well.

160- Fuqua is my major dark horse here. He can beat anyone.

170- Jajuan Dale is my dark horse here along with Khawaja from Floyd Central.

182-Lundy, ward and Willems are my dark horses here.

195- Carrington my dark horse to win it all. I think Juan Grange places very high as well.

220- Aataeveon Jordan and Keshawn Dickens are both super athletic. Watch for them in the state series.

285- Hunter Whitenack is an absolute unit when we saw him at team state. Also Munoz and Hartwell can do some damage.

Dark Horses for me is anyone outside the top 4.

113-Hammack TC. Bahl CP. Reiley Jay County. Driver Westfield

120-Ross Mater Dei.

132-Kysen Montgomery BB. Stephen Roberson CP. Ben Dalton Monrovia. Christian White NP. Cole Solomet KV.Wow 132 is stacked.

145- Ross WC. Hayhurst MD. Garcia BB.

152- Ellis Chesterton. Conley AV.

195- Carrington GC.

285- Munoz JEF. Johnson Franklin

I personally don't think there can be dark horses any more with the great ranking effort on this site. We all know,, in most classes the top 3 or 4 rated, have a high percentage of winning it. And in a lot of classes most of the top 10 will reach the podium.But once in a while with a good draw a top 15 guy, who slips through the rankings, will reach the podium.

11 minutes ago, Disco said:

I personally don't think there can be dark horses any more with the great ranking effort on this site. We all know,, in most classes the top 3 or 4 rated, have a high percentage of winning it. And in a lot of classes most of the top 10 will reach the podium.But once in a while with a good draw a top 15 guy, who slips through the rankings, will reach the podium.

Eli Stock is all I have to say....

120 - Ross (MD)
132- Dalton (Monrovia)

138 - Roberts (Avon)
145 - Mckivitz (PM)

152 - Conley (Avon)

160 - Fuqa (Franklin)

These would be my dark horse picks this year considering multiple previous wins over top 5 opponents within the last 3 years. These are guys that are always in the mix producing solid victories and results. 

45 minutes ago, slingerbailey said:

120 - Ross (MD)
132- Dalton (Monrovia)

138 - Roberts (Avon)
145 - Mckivitz (PM)

152 - Conley (Avon)

160 - Fuqa (Franklin)

These would be my dark horse picks this year considering multiple previous wins over top 5 opponents within the last 3 years. These are guys that are always in the mix producing solid victories and results. 

Definitely agree. All being seniors this year I think they can all make the podium and make a deep run at bankers life especially if they’re having a good day

These will be my dark horse picks to place very high in the state tournament and shock some heads (No order) 

106-  Nathan smith , Tanner Tishner , Zachary Dray 

113-  Keaton morton , Aden reyes 

120-  Cottey and Lemley is going to be one fun finals match to watch if they can both pull through 

126- Nobody will come close to Zeke 

132- Ian Heath, Christian White, Dylan Stroud

138-  Gavin Alstott ,  Jace alexander, Jared Brown 

145-  Jeivan Ross , Ashton Hayhurst 

152-  Alex Currie , Aiden Hardcastle , Tyler Conley 

160-  Andrew wilson ,Tyler Fuqua

170- Bryer Hall is the man at this weight . I think the guy with the best shot against him is Brodie porter

182-  Johnny parker , Clayton Lundy 

195- Nobody will Beat Eli pack 

220-  Nobody will beat Evan bates 

285-   Braydon Erb , Leighton Jones 

6 minutes ago, maddog195 said:

These will be my dark horse picks to place very high in the state tournament and shock some heads (No order) 

120-  Cottey and Lemley is going to be one fun finals match to watch if they can both pull through 

170- Bryer Hall is the man at this weight . I think the guy with the best shot against him is Brodie porter

Cottey going 113 now and you have no one close to Zeke........ but three guys at 138 next to Mendez. IMO Mendez is the most dominant wrestler in any weight class and not a knock to Zeke. Also I think Pack will definitely be challenged. Interesting to see where and who will all settle at come sectionals 

Buchanon from the Jimmies(The Fighting Spires) is a threat to win the Fort Wayne Semi-State.  He just beat my Darkhorse: The White Panther.  He’s done the rounds and is a dangerous opponent.  He treated crowd favorite Kreager from Snider( The other White Panther) to a lesson in solidness last year.  He is a problem.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he medals.

16 minutes ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

Buchanon from the Jimmies(The Fighting Spires) is a threat to win the Fort Wayne Semi-State.  He just beat my Darkhorse: The White Panther.  He’s done the rounds and is a dangerous opponent.  He treated crowd favorite Kreager from Snider( The other White Panther) to a lesson in solidness last year.  He is a problem.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he medals.

Kreager hasn't wrestled Buchanon.  When Snider wrestled Jimtown last year Buchanon was at 145, Kreager at 160 (and wrestled Werts). 

25 minutes ago, GenHeavyHandz said:

Good take general. Little brother beat him 3-1 and 2-1 this summer in two great matches. Kids a gamer.

I haven't been able to watch as much as I would have liked this year but I am going to be a homer and go with Naselroad from Alex to be on the podium this year at 145. I also think Gerencser from Daleville will be making an appearance at Bankers this year at 138.  I love rooting for the small school kids.  I also see Hardcastle from Oak Hill making a run as well as Dedman.  113 Romello Williams from Anderson has a great shot in this his Senior season.  I really like Anthony (26) from Frankfort too.  He is a great kid.  Hopefully I am able to watch it this year.  

Every year all we say to each wrestler "......is just advance each week during the state series". This year that is even going to be even more important. With contact tracing and COVID challenges, this could be the year that possibly there is going to be a lot of "dark horses" winning state or placing high. I believe we will be talking about a lot of these dark horses come State time.

On 1/9/2021 at 6:29 PM, maddog195 said:

220: Tristan Ruhlamn can beat Bates.  It'll be a tight match.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.