Rankings Update State #5

Y2CJ41

1 hour ago, bbulldog152 said:

Didn't Koontz just wrestle 132 for team State. That's a big jump up in weight. Either he made a huge cut to 132 or he'll be a smaller 152. This isn't a question how good he is... I know he's good I just don't know how easy or hard it would be for him to maintain being above 140 if he was able to make 134. To me it would seem easier to just go 145 but I'm not in the room so I don't know his weight situation. Of course I'm not 100% sure if thats who the person was talking about but time will tell.

Mckivitz is a stud senior at 45.. Koontz can win 152 IMHO.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

132 up to 152 seems like a big jump. But it seems possible. Especially after pinning 2 of the top guys at 152.

Cotty to 113 seems almost impossible with sectionals right around the corner. He weighed in at 120.6 for team state. Im not sure that allows for enough time to get down given the 1.5% rule. You would need 5 weigh-ins to be under 113. Unless hes already made scratch 113 somewhere. Add in the fact that I think he beats everyone at 120... seems like a hard cut for no reason.

At the end of the day perry coaches do a great job of running a program and getting athletes into the right weight class to be successful. Im sure they have looked at all the options and routes to a state title.

1 minute ago, formercollegekid said:

132 up to 152 seems like a big jump. But it seems possible. Especially after pinning 2 of the top guys at 152.

Cotty to 113 seems almost impossible with sectionals right around the corner. He weighed in at 120.6 for team state. Im not sure that allows for enough time to get down given the 1.5% rule. You would need 5 weigh-ins to be under 113. Unless hes already made scratch 113 somewhere. Add in the fact that I think he beats everyone at 120... seems like a hard cut for no reason.

At the end of the day perry coaches do a great job of running a program and getting athletes into the right weight class to be successful. Im sure they have looked at all the options and routes to a state title.

You don't need 5 weigh-ins under 113. You just need ONE weigh-in at scratch that abides by the weight loss plan. All other weigh-ins MUST adhere to the weight loss plan.

2 minutes ago, formercollegekid said:

Do you think cottey beats Lemley? After team state and watching Lemley wrestle Zeke, I don’t think so. Would be a fun match though.

Allow me to clarify, I know you only need 6 qualifying weigh-ins. And only 1 has to be at scratch.

I was just doing the math and saying if the starting point is 120.6 (team state) and you can go down 1.5% every weighin then it would take 5 weighins to be under 113.

Thats atleast how I understand the rules.

Also I thought your scratch weight could not be at sectionals 

Edited by formercollegekid

38 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

What would be the thinking to move up to 152?  Speculation is fine.

I also think Perry is thinking a team state title but still think he had a good shot to win 132. Mostly speculation though but now that he is entered in their conference tournament at 152 it looks to be true.

1 hour ago, formercollegekid said:

Allow me to clarify, I know you only need 6 qualifying weigh-ins. And only 1 has to be at scratch.

I was just doing the math and saying if the starting point is 120.6 (team state) and you can go down 1.5% every weighin then it would take 5 weighins to be under 113.

Thats atleast how I understand the rules.

Also I thought your scratch weight could not be at sectionals 

So I had questions in an other thread about this and this is the 3rd different way I've seen this interpreted. 

1. same theory as you but by the week (1.5% from week to week instead of weigh-in)

2. resets after each weigh-in

3. the way you described (1.5% from each weigh-in)

So what is the right way... and I've seen examples that have more than a 1.5% drop count. 

7 minutes ago, bigballerb said:

I also think Perry is thinking a team state title but still think he had a good shot to win 132. Mostly speculation though but now that he is entered in their conference tournament at 152 it looks to be true.

Yea when I was asking my questions I didn't know he was entered at 152 for conference so that might though 132 out. 

5 hours ago, bbulldog152 said:

Didn't Koontz just wrestle 132 for team State. That's a big jump up in weight. Either he made a huge cut to 132 or he'll be a smaller 152. This isn't a question how good he is... I know he's good I just don't know how easy or hard it would be for him to maintain being above 140 if he was able to make 134. To me it would seem easier to just go 145 but I'm not in the room so I don't know his weight situation. Of course I'm not 100% sure if thats who the person was talking about but time will tell.

Koontz and Mckivitz both used that extra 2 pounds to drop for team state. 138 he’d have Mendez who’s more than likely going to be a 4 timer. At 145 perry has Mckivitz who’s easily a medalist this year so 152 is next up and has already beat two of the top three guys at that weight. Has a better shot at a title at 152 than 138

GUYS , Guys , FANS!!   Listen Go Back to the PM Duels blog and RE-Read what I , BT19 wrote for you then!!

Navy80 you tell me if I am Right!!  He was held back in his EYEs his Freshman year , He is Great friends w/ Mendez

But Matthew wants to Show everyone he is at an All America Status!! Championship for Him , the School, his Team

and He tops his Big Brother!!  BT19🙃

Looks like Evansville Central's Luke Kemper is going 170 rather than 182.  He's ranked #10 State and #4 EV SS at 182.  He has wrestled at least twice at 170, including a 5-1 win over Mater Dei (Weidner, I believe) this week.

6 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Looks like Evansville Central's Luke Kemper is going 170 rather than 182.  He's ranked #10 State and #4 EV SS at 182.  He has wrestled at least twice at 170, including a 5-1 win over Mater Dei (Weidner, I believe) this week.

Good move. He wanted no part of Gabe Sollars. 

On 1/6/2021 at 8:58 PM, PMFAN said:

Koontz going down to 132 makes that weight even more stacked then it already was. Returning 8th placer at 132 is ranked 14th! wow... 15/20 have qualified at state and 13 have placed.

That’s insane!

19 hours ago, Jayruss said:

The Kemper boys are as tough as they come, but I agree Sollars has looked nasty!

Kemper lost in the finals of the Old Capital Classic today to Gibson Southern's Owen Bryant, 4-2 SV1 at 170.
Bryant.  Bryant is 19-1 and finished 3rd at the Mater Dei Holiday Classic, losing only to Aiden Bowers, a TN State Runner Up.  Not sure at what weight he'll end up, but it's time Bryant gets ranked, at least in the EV SS rankings.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.