Middle School State

DUBDEA64

I know middle school weight classes have been a topic many times before and everybody uses different ones.  

We have been using the old middle school weight classes for years plus the addition of 70pounds.  

I like the new wc and I especially like how they have girl wc also.  Is anyone considering switching to the new set?

So this tournament has always been used to determine Heartland Duals / Team Indiana...how are they determining that now, as the different weights could affect what weight kids wrestle. Or is there going to be an actual qualification for Heartland Duals so kids don't have to guess what their weight might be at that time.

Middle School weights are different across the state, the middle school seasons are different across the state too.  The IHWCA has actually developed a committee to help pull middle school wrestling together as a state to help improve it as a whole.  The IHSWCA Middle School State Tournament could be a good model for this.  We felt that the weight classes for Heartland Duals didn't reflect what would be ideal, we felt that there weren't enough weight classes.  So we went from 17 to 22 weight classes.  Then we wanted to model the age group with the IHSAA age group, so you can't be 16 before the tournament (just like you can't be 20 before the IHSAA tournament), and we added 5th graders (as many middle schools across the state include 5th graders).  We may end up taking the Heartland Duals qualifying portion away from the tournament, we may just use it as criteria.  This was a miscommunication between the IHSWCA and the ISWA, I'll take the blame for this and I apologize the confusion it may cause.  All the decision we make are to create opportunities for our wrestlers and to improve Indiana wrestling.  Here's the link to the MS State Tournament, I'd be happy to answer any questions.  

https://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/opentournaments/VerifyPassword.jsp?tournamentId=617632132

I really feel like 22 weight classes is too many. 

MS state has historically been a great tournament with only the toughest of kids taking home hardware. I’ve seen that trend fade in the last couple years. 

IMHO adding weight classes only waters down the competition. Most schools across the state are going to struggle to fill 22 weight classes year to year. One thing that doesn’t help the sport is half empty rosters with a bunch of FFTs. 

On 1/15/2021 at 9:02 AM, HighC said:

Middle School weights are different across the state, the middle school seasons are different across the state too.  The IHWCA has actually developed a committee to help pull middle school wrestling together as a state to help improve it as a whole.  The IHSWCA Middle School State Tournament could be a good model for this.  We felt that the weight classes for Heartland Duals didn't reflect what would be ideal, we felt that there weren't enough weight classes.  So we went from 17 to 22 weight classes.  Then we wanted to model the age group with the IHSAA age group, so you can't be 16 before the tournament (just like you can't be 20 before the IHSAA tournament), and we added 5th graders (as many middle schools across the state include 5th graders).  We may end up taking the Heartland Duals qualifying portion away from the tournament, we may just use it as criteria.  This was a miscommunication between the IHSWCA and the ISWA, I'll take the blame for this and I apologize the confusion it may cause.  All the decision we make are to create opportunities for our wrestlers and to improve Indiana wrestling.  Here's the link to the MS State Tournament, I'd be happy to answer any questions.  

https://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/opentournaments/VerifyPassword.jsp?tournamentId=617632132

Thanks for the explanation Jake. 

With that said. I think that having a disconnect form the Middle school national team will hurt this event and the strength of our national team. Some people come to middle school state just to have a shot of making the team. And... now wrestle off for the national team falls right in the middle of most kids spring break. Most vacations were planed months ago. Not to mention some people won’t want to get on weight again and travel to Indy for a wrestle off. 

I think the national team and the middle school state tourney would be much stronger if we can figure out a way to keep them linked. 

The ISWA has also been forthcoming in there reasons for holding the wrestler offs when they have decided to. They have been very responsive.

Again.. thanks for taking time to explain your reasoning. Stand up dude! 

Edited by Mattyb