Alec Freeman’s state finals run

Jayruss

Great kid. I know he struggled to make the lineup earlier on in his high school career. Still saw him at matches, cheering his teammates on. Always super polite and respectful when we have spoke. He deserves all of this success and more. 

Somebody needs this sign this kid! Would be an asset to any college program. 

Mattyb,

Thanks for the nice comments about Alec.  He was behind Cole Ross as a freshman but kept plugging away and cracked the lineup as a Sophomore.  Has some bigger goals now and hopefully with some more performances like this weekend to get noticed.  I agree with Y2CJ41, this weight class has a ton of tough kids that should all be in contention come February.

4 hours ago, ReformedPoster said:

I personally think he should have been ranked ahead of Dalton and Coyle in the last update.  Now, I don't see how you keep him out of the top 3.

The current ratings came out before he beat Coyle.  

I love how he's wrestling and he's hot right now. I have no doubt he'll compete for the top of the podium.   I think he, along with Brody Baumann and Gabe Sollars (and Blake Boarman) will all be in the same boat come February.

Edited by SWINfan

5 minutes ago, Freeman90 said:

Mattyb,

Thanks for the nice comments about Alec.  He was behind Cole Ross as a freshman but kept plugging away and cracked the lineup as a Sophomore.  Has some bigger goals now and hopefully with some more performances like this weekend to get noticed.  I agree with Y2CJ41, this weight class has a ton of tough kids that should all be in contention come February.

Wasn't he still a bit undersized for 106 as a freshman?  

6 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

The current ratings came out before he beat Coyle.  

I love how he's wrestling and he's hot right now. I have no doubt he'll compete for the top of the podium.   I think he, along with Brody Baumann and Gabe Sollars (and Blake Boarman) will all be in the same boat come February.

I'm aware of when the updated rankings came out.  I just think he was under ranked and his matches recently have proven that.

3 hours ago, Mattyb said:

Great kid. I know he struggled to make the lineup earlier on in his high school career. Still saw him at matches, cheering his teammates on. Always super polite and respectful when we have spoke. He deserves all of this success and more. 

I agree, sign this young man!!

10 minutes ago, Shoey said:

I’d throw Kyrel’s Leavell in this discussion as well. Carmel forfeited him, but pins over Keaton Morton (Perry) and Reed Egli (EMD) were damn impressive for a freshman in two high stakes duals. He has to be in the discussion for sleeper champ at 113. 

He was strong and dangerous with the throws.  Was definitely impressed.  There were a ton of impressive performances.  

3 hours ago, Shoey said:

I’d throw Kyrel’s Leavell in this discussion as well. Carmel forfeited him, but pins over Keaton Morton (Perry) and Reed Egli (EMD) were damn impressive for a freshman in two high stakes duals. He has to be in the discussion for sleeper champ at 113. 

Him and my guy NC 120 Gavyn Whitehead had wars over the years.. Best of luck to the young man.

5 hours ago, Shoey said:

Guessing he’s James or John’s boy? He’s looking like a 3 timer at worst!

6 hours ago, Jayruss said:

Guessing he’s James or John’s boy? He’s looking like a 3 timer at worst!

My team mate wrestled Jason from perry in 03, it could be his boy too...

Nvm different spelling

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

19 minutes ago, mdspiderman81 said:

That is a nice article, but the three Lee brothers, all state champs.

This article was created for the 2017 Hall of Fame induction which was held prior to Matt winning his state title in 2019.  So yes, the Lee’s are now the second family to accomplish this feat.

This family connection maybe something for another thread, but the extensive success of the entire Maldonado clan shouldn’t be overlooked either when taking about family accomplishments to Indiana wrestling.  And while not all have multiple state titles/placers to their name here are a few other family to consider https://sites.google.com/site/inwrestlingcoaches/history/hoffamily

Edited by MattM

13 minutes ago, MattM said:

This article was created for the 2017 Hall of Fame induction which was held prior to Matt winning his state title in 2019.  So yes, the Lee’s are now the second family to accomplish this feat.

Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia...

Few years back Thomas Penola at the Al Smith reeled of win after win over 4 ranked guys being unranked winning 170 title.. Beat Jordan Rader aka 3x SQ being a State runner up, Jarod swank 3x SQ while being 5th place finisher,Zack Fattore 3rd&4th state medals and had he not been screwed at state in the semis with a def pin call he would've very likely been state champ after dominating all year and that match vs Rader , also Penola beat 2x SQ Tavonte Malone.. Only to lose in the ticket round at the NCSS to eventual 7th place finisher Jake Ruberg later that season.. And went on as a senior to get 3rd losing a heart breaker in OT to World Silver medalist Lucas Davison.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

On 1/4/2021 at 1:32 PM, Mattyb said:

I have been around Alec for a few years with ISWA teams and agree with @Mattyb@Freeman90 has raised one heck of a polite and athletic kid and should be very proud and Alec is very deserving of the success he is now experiencing.  Best of luck the rest of the way !!

I remember making a drive down to evansville some 7-8 years ago with my boy to get him some good matches in a youth tournament at MD.  recall a great match with my son and Cole Ross followed by Alec giving my boy a royal beat down on the day. Drake was on several of Bailey's outlaw's teams with both Ross and Freeman through the middle school years that travelled across the country.  I've admired watching both these Mater Dei wrestlers over the years.  Both have a lot of talent and heart and will go far and represent Indiana well in the years to come.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.