#2 @132 Pierson (WC) over #7 @126 Hooper (Carmel) 3-1

#1 Major (Carmel) over #5 Jones (WC) 9-0

#8 Hayhurst (EMD) over #7 Garcia (BB) 6-5

#3 Reynolds (Avon) over #6 Kaiser (Chesterton) by fall

#2@138 Koontz (PM) over #2@132 Pierson(WC) 2-0

#1 Major (Carmel) over #2 Wilson (Cathedral) 6-0

#13 Shafer (Carmel) over #7 Urasky (Cathedral) 3-1

1 hour ago, navy80 said:

Wrestler of the day: Alec Freeman Mater Dei.. 

132 - Alec Freeman (Evansville Mater Dei) over 126 #2- Cheaney Schoeff (Avon) Dec 6-3 
        132 - Alec Freeman (Evansville Mater Dei) over 132 #3 Kysen Montgomery (Brownsburg) Dec 6-1 
        132 - Alec Freeman (Evansville Mater Dei) over 132 #2 David Pierson (Warren Central) Dec 5-4 

126 #1 Zeke over 120 #1 Sergio 8-5

Yea he’s been on a mission!

2 hours ago, Bigtoe19 said:

Yes Sir , then #8 Timmerman (Mish) went an beat #4 Ward (Franklin) 13-6 🤨

I got my first look at Simpson today. 
WOW!! That kid is put together!!! What’s in the water up there in Hobart! 
He’s only a junior too! He may make a splash in February! Timmerman isn’t an easy out and he made it look EASY! 

5 hours ago, Bigtoe19 said:

also , this caught my eye. Shake up down south.  120 - Kelby Glenn (Tell City) over Blake Zirkelbach (North Posey) Dec 7-6

Yes Blake is Ranked.  But Tell City's 113-Hammack 120-Glenn and 126-Lain are Tough and may all Punch a Ticket to State

Tell City looked tough today.  They earned it.

7 hours ago, navy80 said:

Wrestler of the day: Alec Freeman Mater Dei.. 

132 - Alec Freeman (Evansville Mater Dei) over 126 #2- Cheaney Schoeff (Avon) Dec 6-3 
        132 - Alec Freeman (Evansville Mater Dei) over 132 #3 Kysen Montgomery (Brownsburg) Dec 6-1 
        132 - Alec Freeman (Evansville Mater Dei) over 132 #2 David Pierson (Warren Central) Dec 5-4 

126 #1 Zeke over 120 #1 Sergio 8-5

Wow!!! That’s HUGE day! 

7 hours ago, Silence Dogood said:

Better than the time Eric Roach bumped up at team state. 

February 26, 2011

Mater Dei vs. Crown Point

For the fans, it was the worst-possible draw.  Top-ranked Crown Point and second-ranked Mater Dei were paired for the first round of Team State.  For the first-ever meeting between the schools, Crown Point brought a star-studded lineup.  Headliner Jason Tsirtsis was fresh off his third State Title.  Tsirtsis’ practice partner, Eric Roach, had just won his second State Championship.  Tyler Kral had finished third, while Josh Flamme was sixth.  Jake Fuqua and Dusty Schurg qualified for the State Meet.  Crown Point won the Team State title in 2009 and was eager to return to the winner’s circle.  Mater Dei countered with State Runner-up John Sims.  Josh Boots and Jake Lannert finished third, while Sam Goebel and Josh Pierre were State Qualifiers.

In a storyline all too familiar to Mater Dei fans, Crown Point’s Kyle Shrewsbury’s life was rocked by tragedy.  The previous Wednesday, Kyle’s third-grade sister, Brianna, complained of abdominal pain.  She was taken to a local hospital where she died of an aneurism.  The Shrewsbury family decided that Crown Point, the community and Kyle would best be served by Kyle’s appearance in Crown Point’s line-up. 

The match opened at 189 pounds, where Josh Boots lit up the Red and Gold with a first period pin of Matt Langbehn.  Nathan Wright minimized the damage at 215, losing to the Bulldogs’ Tyler Kral, 9-1.  Justin Van Winkle put the ‘Cats back in the driver’s seat with his second period pin of Josh Swope.  The Bulldogs got back on track when Josh Fuqua and Colton Saroff beat Wyatt Seng and Sam Goebel to make it 12-10.  Freshman Josh Pierre delivered for the ‘Cats, winning a nerve-wracking, 2-1 decision over Trevor Burlison.  Zach Henderson got out early and built a 3-0 lead over Matt Harvey.  Harvey, however, mounted a comeback and beat Henderson, 6-3.  Max Mangold punched back, decisioning Cameron Halsted, 5-1.  Crown Point had its opportunity to put the match away when Jake Fuqua had a 2-0, third period advantage over Quinn Schroeder.  Schroeder escaped early in the third to cut the deficit to one.  Fuqua was exhausted; he took no shots, backed up and countered.  With a stall warning already issued, Fuqua backed off the mat and was assessed a penalty with one second remaining on the clock.  The Crown Point coaches meekly went to the scorer’s table to protest.  Quinn Schroeder heard the conversation.

“The referee told them ‘We are going to overtime, if your boy backs up again, I’m going to ring him up,’” said Schroeder.  “I had nothing left, so I kept my elbows in and pushed as hard as I could.”

The plan worked.  A few seconds into overtime, Fuqua backed up, referee Frankie Medvescek raised his fist and Schroeder was a 3-2 winner.  The Red and Gold exploded while Crown Point’s coaches meekly protested.

Leading 21-13, the Wildcats faced the heart of the Crown Point line-up.  Hurricane Jason Tsirtsis took the mat against Jake Lannert and scored a technical fall, followed by an 8-1 decision by Josh Flamme over Sam Riggs.  Senior Evan Weinzapfel attacked Dusty Schurg off the whistle, taking him to his back and nearly pinning him.  Weinzapfel took an 8-0 lead before an injury robbed the wind from his sails.  Sporadically burning nearly all of his injury time during the match, Weinzapfel struggled to complete the match, losing in overtime, 11-9. 

This set the stage for one of the greatest coaching blunders in Indiana wrestling history.  Crown Point head coach Scott Vlink sent his State Champ, Eric Roach to wrestle John Sims.  Evidently, Vlink did not realize that Roach was not certified to wrestle at 160.  Assistant Coach John Dewig immediately caught the mistake and called the officials to the table.  After a brief conference, the ruling was issued.  Roach would not be allowed to wrestle.  Substitute Hunter Moore was no match for Sims and succumbed to a first period pin.

With a 27-25 lead over the Bulldogs, the bout between Dalton Brandenstein and Crown Point’s Kyle Shrewsbury would decide the dual.  Shrewsbury scored the opening takedown and the match devolved into a cat and mouse game.  Brandenstein managed an escape early in the third period to make it 2-1.  With time winding down and the two hand fighting, it appeared that Shrewsbury would end the match with both wrestlers on their feet.  With less than ten ticks on the clock, Brandenstein took a shot and scored the takedown, touching off a wild celebration.  Final Score:  Mater Dei- 30, Crown Point- 25.

The aftermath of the substitution debacle left Crown Point’s coaching staff embarrassed and their team enraged.  The Bulldogs believed that rules or not, Roach should have been allowed to wrestle.

“Why? “asked an enraged Josh Flamme. “You’re going to lose your entire State Tournament. What’s the point?  They said what we did was illegal. They won on something we didn’t expect.”

“I understand what their coach (Greg Schaefer) did,” said Eric Roach. “Obviously it was a smart move for them. But all the people are saying ‘What are you doing?’  I would take him (Sims) on. What are you scared of?  He’s got 20 pounds on me.  Let’s see who has the better team. Our team worked their butts of all year. It’s hard to end like this.”

The joy of one Mater Dei’s greatest victories on a big stage was short-lived.  The next round, Mater Dei gave up four pins to Lawrence North and lost the match on criteria.  Many in attendance believed it to be the toughest loss Mater Dei Wrestling ever endured.

The next season, Jason Tsirtsis won his fourth State Title.  Tsirtsis was regarded as the nation’s top high school prospect in 2012.  The Olympic aspirant accepted a scholarship to Northwestern.  Eric Roach joined Indiana University’s wrestling team, while Tyler Kral became a grappler for the Purdue Boilermakers.

18 minutes ago, hook and half said:

This set the stage for one of the greatest coaching blunders in Indiana wrestling history.  Crown Point head coach Scott Vlink sent his State Champ, Eric Roach to wrestle John Sims.  Evidently, Vlink did not realize that Roach was not certified to wrestle at 160.  Assistant Coach John Dewig immediately caught the mistake and called the officials to the table.  After a brief conference, the ruling was issued.  Roach would not be allowed to wrestle.  Substitute Hunter Moore was no match for Sims and succumbed to a first period pin.

Dang re-opened that wound to CP, Hook.  

1 hour ago, MattM said:

Dang re-opened that wound to CP, Hook.  

Matt, no malice intended.  This is a gut wrenching chapter for MD fans and CP fans.  Three years earlier, freshman John Sims' father passed on the eve of the sectional.  MD fans had real empathy for the Shrewsbury family.

I never liked the fact the outcome of the match may had been affected by a coaching mistake.

The CP win was followed with misery by the loss to Lawrence North.  MD gave up four pins--the most ever in the State series.

Hard to imagine that MD and CP took punishing losses in the same day.

It was a long drive back to Evansville.  The group I was with was emotionally exhausted.

Constructing this post, brought back the details of that day.  I am now sorry that I did it!

Edited by hook and half
grammar fix

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.