Change to 3A Team State field

decbell1

Unfortunately, the Columbus school corporation is prohibiting travel to Johnson County, which is in red, for Saturday. It sucks for coach Cooper and his team, but there is not much we as a committee can do. 

With that being said, we have another 3A team to replace. 

When the committee voted on teams in April, we choose one alternate, which was Terre Haute South. They have already been added to replace Bloomington South. 

We were left with a decision to simply have a forfeit, or to add a team late. The only other team in consideration for the final spot was Lafayette Harrison, and they also declined. 

Greg and I felt that the best thing to do was to invite who we felt was the best team that could add the most amount of talent possible to the tournament, and we agreed that that was Floyd Central. 

We felt that it was unfair to the teams involved not to re-seed the teams after each addition. So we will be putting the teams in the following order:

1. Franklin Community vs. 8. Terre Haute South

4. Northridge vs. 5. East Central

3. Hobart vs. 6. Mishawaka

2. Floyd Central vs. 7. Roncalli

I am sure some, if not many of you, will disagree with this plan, but we felt this gave us the best 3A tournament we could get Saturday. 

Best of luck to Floyd Central and to all the 3A teams involved. 

With that in mind, I want to walk everyone through the process we went through with replacing New Castle and Boonville in 2A. 

Bishop Dwenger declined the spot. They were the official alternate from April. 

Delta was the next team up, but had been defeated by  Jay County 60-9. In the opinion of Greg and myself, we wanted to be as fair as possible but also get the best teams we could. 

We consulted many coaches around the state and many teams agreed that Jay County was deserving of a spot. 

For the second spot, we felt Northwood had earned an invitation, but they too declined. We then extended the invitation to Monrovia, who was under consideration for the final spot in April and undefeated at the moment. 

We re-seeded the tournament with those two teams included to make it as fair as possible. 

1 hour ago, Shoey said:

2.Idiotic that Columbus School Corp let’s their team travel to Hamilton County yesterday, but not Johnson County 3 days later. Bureaucrats suck. 

Not sure on other school corporations guidelines, but both Columbus schools are restricted from traveling to a county which is Covid Red for competition or having schools from a Covid Red county travel to their school for a competition.  Hamilton County is currently orange and I’m assuming was orange earlier this week.  Johnson’s County being Red as of Wednesday’s Covid map update caused East to have to drop out of the event as of yesterday’s report. The Columbus school teams and their scheduled opponents have to had to make quick changes or lose competition this whole season. 

Edited by MattM

41 minutes ago, MattM said:

Not sure on other school corporations guidelines, but both Columbus schools are restricted from traveling to a county which is Covid Red for competition or having schools from a Covid Red county travel to their school for a competition.  Hamilton County is currently orange and I’m assuming was orange earlier this week.  Johnson’s County being Red as of Wednesday’s Covid map update caused East to have to drop out of the event as of yesterday’s report. The Columbus school teams and their scheduled opponents to have had to make quick changes or lose competition this whole season. 

Exactly. Bureaucrats suck. 

2 hours ago, Shoey said:

Two things:

1. wild to see New Castle as a 2A school.

2.Idiotic that Columbus School Corp let’s their team travel to Hamilton County yesterday, but not Johnson County 3 days later. Bureaucrats suck. 

New Castle has went down in enrollment to under 1000.. Chrysler leaving hurt this town big time.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

WOW, Not like they were going to the Quick Stop gas station to mingle.  They were going to an event where most of the people they would come into close contact with have been strictly watching who they have been around for the last few weeks because of the prestigious event that they were about to be a part of.  Sorry Columbus East, your Athletic Director is drinking the Kool-Aid way too much.  

Man this stinks! I think Columbus East would have won the whole thing. Going off of the common opponents, they give Franklin comunity a problem. 

Weird that things changed as Columbus East just wrestled Center Grove, granted it was in Boone County.

Floyd Central is a great replacement tho! They are a lot like Center Grove in the fact that the freshman class really helped elevate the team. I think Floyd Central has 3 or 4 starters that are freshman. Pair that with some really good state medal winners... well I wouldn't be surprised if they win.

The right thing to do was reseed the tournament.  You guys are doing great in this topsy-turvy world. Jay County and Floyd Central are both great teams. Only team that is a head scratcher for me is in 4a with Avon.  However with Crown Point waving their right to a spot im guessing it came down to Avon or Center Grove maybe a Franklin Central. Center Grove and Franklin Central would both beat Avon. 

But hey dems the brakes and I think this tournament is awesome! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.