Nick Lee REDSHIRTING?

Who has the scoop? Wrestlestat says he is redshirting and TheMat forums speculate he is taking an Olympic Redshirt. Anyone have insight? I was looking forward to the Lee/Red B10 and NCAA championship matches! 

5 hours ago, navy80 said:

Who has the scoop? Wrestlestat says he is redshirting and TheMat forums speculate he is taking an Olympic Redshirt. Anyone have insight? I was looking forward to the Lee/Red B10 and NCAA championship matches! 

Rumor has been flying around since Nick said something to the effect in a podcast or interview.  That's when Wrestlestat added the redshirt status and took him out of the rankings.  Now, he's back in the rankings, but the redshirt icon is still there.  

Apparently he only took one class in the fall and the original plan was to use an Olympic Redshirt.  Speculation is that will chance as they enter 2nd semester and he'll compete.  No one, at least publicly, seems to be sure or have more info than that.

Here is a small piece from an article on Rokfin posted today....  Doesn't mention Lee redshirting, but there was also news about Red.  Didn't know Red had lost a wrestleoff.   Nothing final, just possibilities....

141/149

Penn State - Jared Verkleeren vs. Beau Bartlett vs. Nick Lee

Another situation for PSU where the free year makes an easy decision a more complicated (and perhaps advantageous) one. Bartlett, a true freshman, is going to try to make the lineup. The most likely way this happens is if Nick Lee moves up. I can't confirm that that is the case, but Beau is definitely gonna give it a run. 

Nebraska - Chad Red vs. Ridge Lovett

Red is a two-time All American with two years left. Lovett, who is moving up after a solid true freshman campaign in which he was 17-8 and a qualifier at 133. Lovett had a killer cut to 133 last year and recently beat Red, 8-6, in a wrestle off. The final decision hasn't been determined yet; there is another set of wrestle offs this week. But these two might be the best options for 41/49 so perhaps the guy who doesn't get the start moves up.

Another related tidbit, this one concerning Brayton Lee...

149/157

Minnesota -Brayton Lee and Michael Blockhus

There were some suggestions that with Blockhus coming over as a transfer from UNI, Brayton could move up. We have confirmed that is in fact the plan. Lee was 25-6 and the 7 seed at the dance. Blockhus was 25-10 and a qualifier at 141 last year.

2 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Which will give Micic a 7th or 10th year or something crazy like that

Technically Micic and Lee could use up all their eligibility in the same year.... in high school they wrestled when Micic was a senior and Lee was a freshman. On TOP of that technically Lee could graduate this year and be done while Micic could stay for the 2022 season!

2 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Technically Micic and Lee could use up all their eligibility in the same year.... in high school they wrestled when Micic was a senior and Lee was a freshman. On TOP of that technically Lee could graduate this year and be done while Micic could stay for the 2022 season!

Exactly.  Not saying its wrong, just weird!   I can't think of another situation (I'm guessing there have been some?) where an athlete has been able to compete so many years after they first started.  It used to be once you start the clock, you get 5 years to play 4.  I know wrestling is different, but he could have his 8th year in the college system next season.  

I know Micic RS'ed his freshman year at NW & then had a transfer/Olympic RS year from NW to Mich.

Then wrestled for Mich in 2016/17, 2017/18 & 2018/19.

Then took an Olympic RS last year. Thus he has one year of eligibility left and apparently a free year this year as well.

On 12/31/2020 at 4:55 PM, SWINfan said:

Here is a small piece from an article on Rokfin posted today....  Doesn't mention Lee redshirting, but there was also news about Red.  Didn't know Red had lost a wrestleoff.   Nothing final, just possibilities....

141/149

Penn State - Jared Verkleeren vs. Beau Bartlett vs. Nick Lee

Another situation for PSU where the free year makes an easy decision a more complicated (and perhaps advantageous) one. Bartlett, a true freshman, is going to try to make the lineup. The most likely way this happens is if Nick Lee moves up. I can't confirm that that is the case, but Beau is definitely gonna give it a run. 

Nebraska - Chad Red vs. Ridge Lovett

Red is a two-time All American with two years left. Lovett, who is moving up after a solid true freshman campaign in which he was 17-8 and a qualifier at 133. Lovett had a killer cut to 133 last year and recently beat Red, 8-6, in a wrestle off. The final decision hasn't been determined yet; there is another set of wrestle offs this week. But these two might be the best options for 41/49 so perhaps the guy who doesn't get the start moves up.

So who won the 2nd wrestle-off?

https://twitter.com/ByCSauertieg/status/1347181518641356802?s=20

I have no idea who Clay Sauertieg is, but lets assume, for the sake of argument, that he has some insight here and knows what he is talking about. If Bartlett is going 149, that would seem to imply that Lee is going 141 rather than redshirting.

This just shows how fluid all of this is.  Wrestlestat had Lee #1 at 149 last week.  

As for Bartlett, the belief at PSU from many is that Bartlett goes whereever Nick Lee chooses not to go.  It's Lee's call and Bartlett follows.  Nick's earned that.

And then there is the Willie Saylor view of the world. On his podcast he guessed at Bartlett 141 and Lee at 149. His logic was that maximizes PSU's point potential at NCAA's. He reasoned that Bartlett was a round of 12 guy who scores in the 4-5 point range and Lee is a top 4 guy at 149 or a top 3 guy at 141, so 16-20 point range at either weight. 

Effectively it comes down to whether Bartlett can score more at 141 than Verkleeren can score at 149.

As you say, fluid.

Maybe it’s just my selfish opinion, but if you are a national title contender that has not yet won a title entering your final year(s), you get the pick of your lineup spot and the rest of the team will have to work around that.  I’m sure Nicks all for being a “team player” but that is where the coach looks out for what is best for the athlete too.  Nick has already helped Penn State win a team title, so he’s due to earn his own at the weight he believes works best for him.  In the modern era coaches seem to be judged on individual titles as much if not more than team titles, and Sandersons statues is not being hurt any by Penn States 2021 finish.  I’m not sure if that puts Nick at 141 or 149 but hopefully Sanderson gives Nick the best shot possible to accomplish an individual title.

Edited by MattM

On 1/1/2021 at 12:59 PM, Y2CJ41 said:

Wild!

On 1/9/2021 at 12:08 AM, MattM said:

Maybe it’s just my selfish opinion, but if you are a national title contender that has not yet won a title entering your final year(s), you get the pick of your lineup spot and the rest of the team will have to work around that.  I’m sure Nicks all for being a “team player” but that is where the coach looks out for what is best for the athlete too.  Nick has already helped Penn State win a team title, so he’s due to earn his own at the weight he believes works best for him.  In the modern era coaches seem to be judged on individual titles as much if not more than team titles, and Sandersons statues is not being hurt any by Penn States 2021 finish.  I’m not sure if that puts Nick at 141 or 149 but hopefully Sanderson gives Nick the best shot possible to accomplish an individual title.

With Rivera bumping up to 141 this year, Eierman back, and Diakomihalis out, you could make a case that 149 is easier than 141. I think most rankings have Sammy Sasso #1 at 149.