Big Night of Wrestling Tonight in the NE IN/NW OH Area

Most know that in Indiana's #1 County, that Bellmont is squaring off against Adams Central. Will be different this year due to COVID, but WZBD & The Berne Witness are covering this annual rivalry match. Meanwhile, across the state line Crestview (Convoy) will wrestle their first ever high school wrestling match against their long time rivals Lincolnview (Middle Point). (For reference, Crestview borders the southeastern Heritage, all of eastern Bellmont, and northeasterrn Adams Central districts.) Most of the Crestview wrestling team will be newcomers to the sport, as I believe the freshmen would most likely have the club & at least middle school experience under their belt. I believe last year was the first year for the middle school team who did well with their club kids. Two years ago, I was able to get acquainted with the club as my step son started his wrestling career (my step children attend Crestview). Last year one of my step daughters decided to give a try and wants to again.

Crestview has had help from members of different schools from the Indiana & Ohio area. I commend Jake Sawmiller who started the Convoy/Crestview wrestling club and then the middle school program. Big shout out goes to Bellmont grad Nathan Scherer who took over for Jake on the club side so that the middle school could get going as well. I believe both are Lincolnview grads, with Brandon Tobias and Travis Stemen who both have contributed to the club. Travis' son also has helped and is a Van Wert grad. I also know that AC grad (not sure he wrestled other than maybe youth & middle school) Luke Feasel & former AC wrestler Karthon McCullough have helped with practices as well. I, myself have as well, but I wasn't a great wrestler as a youth or my lone high school senior year of wrestling for the BAGUBAS, so I have contributed very little compared to the others. There are others I have missed or simply do not know their names (yet) that have made the opportunity for Crestview wrestling to happen. This is a very cool moment for a big time basketball school. With that said, I will split screen my laptop to watch both duals tonight.

For me, this has to feel like the Giessler, Webb, & early Kalver years for Bellmont and the Humble years for Adams Central as a spectator. I'm excited where they can take their wrestling program. I'm sure with the youth club success, they will do very well. It appears Parkway (Rockford, OH & borders east central & southeastern Adams Central & most of eastern South Adams districts) is finally gaining that momentum with their newer program as well.

Great post.  

My grandsons have come up through the AC system over the years, some family currently in the Bellmont and Leo systems too.  It's a heated match every year with Bellmont and AC.  I've said it for a while and it may sound bad since Bellmont is coming off an undefeated season but AC and other surrounding schools have been putting in as much or more in their youth programs as some of the older powerhouses in the area.  I think we're going to see that work pay off over the next few years.  AC is young, and if the elementary and MS kids stick to it will keep reloaded over the next handful of years.  From my point of view of watching the elementary duals and MS duals between the 2 schools with my grandkids, AC is looking to be the studs of the County soon on the HS level.

With that said, Bellmont wins easily tonight somehow lol.  They always do.

3 minutes ago, AdamsCoBuschhh said:

Great post.  

My grandsons have come up through the AC system over the years, some family currently in the Bellmont and Leo systems too.  It's a heated match every year with Bellmont and AC.  I've said it for a while and it may sound bad since Bellmont is coming off an undefeated season but AC and other surrounding schools have been putting in as much or more in their youth programs as some of the older powerhouses in the area.  I think we're going to see that work pay off over the next few years.  AC is young, and if the elementary and MS kids stick to it will keep reloaded over the next handful of years.  From my point of view of watching the elementary duals and MS duals between the 2 schools with my grandkids, AC is looking to be the studs of the County soon on the HS level.

With that said, Bellmont wins easily tonight somehow lol.  They always do.

AC needs to retain more of the youth and seems to be doing it more now. The big difference is Bellmont has always been wrestling first and then other sports, while AC has been football first and then wrestling. Normally Bellmont's football seasons are over weeks prior to AC's. Only 2 weeks this year difference, but that's big in conditioning aspect for wrestling. Football conditioning is not the same as wrestling. As long as this is an early season dual unlike the previous Christmas time, that advantage may go to Bellmont. Especially when Bellmont wrestlers don't always make up much of a football roster, while AC & SA wrestling clubs are mostly football players.

1 hour ago, casualwrestlingfan said:

AC needs to retain more of the youth and seems to be doing it more now. The big difference is Bellmont has always been wrestling first and then other sports, while AC has been football first and then wrestling. Normally Bellmont's football seasons are over weeks prior to AC's. Only 2 weeks this year difference, but that's big in conditioning aspect for wrestling. Football conditioning is not the same as wrestling. As long as this is an early season dual unlike the previous Christmas time, that advantage may go to Bellmont. Especially when Bellmont wrestlers don't always make up much of a football roster, while AC & SA wrestling clubs are mostly football players.

I don't even think we can discuss the Bellmont football program without a few LOL's.  Other than a few years a decade or so ago (the great class of DFL kids after that program got started) they've been an after thought.  I've told my wife many times watching Bellmont play today is even more old school than watching old tapes of football when I played 40 years ago.

Bellmont wrestling has lived off the great families of wrestling from that community.  And they'll continue to do so.  I still firmly believe we'll continue to close that gap in the next couple of years.

11 minutes ago, AdamsCoBuschhh said:

53-25 Bellmont tonight.  Could have been a wider margin a victory had a kid or two not get pinned after being way up.  

We'll get there.  Bank on it.  AC is young and Bellmont is riding out on a stud list of Juniors.  Congrats to them.

Just a big technique gap from the Bellmont line up to the AC lineup. Bellmont has kids who wrestle most of the year, where as AC just doesn't have as many. That will most likely not change ever. It's not anything coaching wise, it's just the difference in school sizes and communities placing their focus on different areas. I think it was summed up the best on the webcast, that you can breathe a sigh of relief that it was respectable for AC and don't have to worry about Bellmont until sectional time. Since the class wrestling has started, the goal for AC is to try to win the 1A team state dual and hopefully get 1 or 2 if not more down to Indy Friday night. Bellmont is similar in trying to win the 2A team state, but they want to get 5-8 to Indy Friday night. They long for the days of single class wrestling and trying to compete against Cathedral & Mater Dei. Though, I think those days may have passed them bye just due to the focus of the bigger Indy schools & Hendricks county on the sport.

Edited by casualwrestlingfan

3 minutes ago, casualwrestlingfan said:

Just a big technique gap from the Bellmont line up to the AC lineup. Bellmont has kids who wrestle most of the year, where as AC just doesn't have as many. That will most likely not change ever. It's not anything coaching wise, it's just the difference in school sizes and communities placing their focus on different areas. I think it was summed up the best on the webcast, that you can breathe a sigh of relief that it was respectable for AC and don't have to worry about Bellmont until sectional time. Since the class wrestling has started, the goal for AC is to try to win the 1A team state dual and hopefully get 1 or 2 if not more down to Indy Friday night. Bellmont is similar in trying to win the 2A team state, but they want to get 5-8 to Indy Friday night. They long for the days of single class wrestling and trying to compete against Cathedral & Mater Dei. Though, I think those days may have passed them bye just do to the focus of the bigger Indy schools & Hendricks county on the sport.

I know I know.  I still believe if our younger kids stick with wrestling and take part in the summer camps we'll surprise Bellmont in a couple years.  We have some young studs coming up.  It's up to them to want to keep up that hard work to compete against the 5 or so families that Bellmont lives by.

On the Ohio side, it was a quick meet. They had started with middle school and then 4 jv or so matches. I'm not sure how many varsity matches they actually had. Quite a few throws and pins and it seemed like Lincolnview got the majority of those. It was from a video feed Lincolnview provided from atop the gym with no announcing. Heck they didn't even have anyone announce the wrestlers to the mat. Also big difference in that they weren't cleaning their mat after every match. I like that Indiana is cleaning the mat after every match.

11 hours ago, casualwrestlingfan said:

They long for the days of single class wrestling and trying to compete against Cathedral & Mater Dei. Though, I think those days may have passed them bye just due to the focus of the bigger Indy schools & Hendricks county on the sport.

Yes!!! What he said. 

@TeamGarcia ‘s point is getting through! 

Que the EMD trolls in 5,4,3,2....1

I miss this sooo much! Let’s... go!!!

Edited by Mattyb

1 hour ago, UncleJimmy said:

I miss this sooo much! Let’s... go!!! 

Yeah...we all miss #TheCounty hijackin' every thread......I kid, of course! 

1 hour ago, crosstownrivals said:

Well, Well, Well! Uncle Jimmy is back. Wrestling is at least partially back in the 574 for the time being. Let's all hope we can make it through.

I bring out the best in him, that’s what I do best . I just do that to posters. I didn’t hi jack this post . All I reed was that first sentence and I took it upon myself and #TheCounty to correct it. I then sent the Governor a email you better change this or #TheCounty is sending Tri West . Governor said ok... he don’t want any smoke. #1 County is Hendricks. I Settled it . Thank you ... Thank you 

Notorious 

Edited by TeamGarcia
A little miss spelling errors .... Calm Down

23 hours ago, casualwrestlingfan said:

Most know that in Indiana's #1 County, that Bellmont is squaring off against Adams Central. Will be different this year due to COVID, but WZBD & The Berne Witness are covering this annual rivalry match. Meanwhile, across the state line Crestview (Convoy) will wrestle their first ever high school wrestling match against their long time rivals Lincolnview (Middle Point). (For reference, Crestview borders the southeastern Heritage, all of eastern Bellmont, and northeasterrn Adams Central districts.) Most of the Crestview wrestling team will be newcomers to the sport, as I believe the freshmen would most likely have the club & at least middle school experience under their belt. I believe last year was the first year for the middle school team who did well with their club kids. Two years ago, I was able to get acquainted with the club as my step son started his wrestling career (my step children attend Crestview). Last year one of my step daughters decided to give a try and wants to again.

Crestview has had help from members of different schools from the Indiana & Ohio area. I commend Jake Sawmiller who started the Convoy/Crestview wrestling club and then the middle school program. Big shout out goes to Bellmont grad Nathan Scherer who took over for Jake on the club side so that the middle school could get going as well. I believe both are Lincolnview grads, with Brandon Tobias and Travis Stemen who both have contributed to the club. Travis' son also has helped and is a Van Wert grad. I also know that AC grad (not sure he wrestled other than maybe youth & middle school) Luke Feasel & former AC wrestler Karthon McCullough have helped with practices as well. I, myself have as well, but I wasn't a great wrestler as a youth or my lone high school senior year of wrestling for the BAGUBAS, so I have contributed very little compared to the others. There are others I have missed or simply do not know their names (yet) that have made the opportunity for Crestview wrestling to happen. This is a very cool moment for a big time basketball school. With that said, I will split screen my laptop to watch both duals tonight.

For me, this has to feel like the Giessler, Webb, & early Kalver years for Bellmont and the Humble years for Adams Central as a spectator. I'm excited where they can take their wrestling program. I'm sure with the youth club success, they will do very well. It appears Parkway (Rockford, OH & borders east central & southeastern Adams Central & most of eastern South Adams districts) is finally gaining that momentum with their newer program as well.

The Crestview program has a lot of potential as I have watched my nephews wrestle in the program from the start.  They have a very nice support system and have proven to the school system they belong.  I have ties to the Heritage wrestling program.  Heritage is a school as well that only concerns itself with basketball.  Crestview and Heritage could have some good meets/rivals together.  Ill see if I cant get something rolling between the two as we are looking for meets as a lot of the season tournaments are being cancelled.

1 hour ago, aces&eights said:

The Crestview program has a lot of potential as I have watched my nephews wrestle in the program from the start.  They have a very nice support system and have proven to the school system they belong.  I have ties to the Heritage wrestling program.  Heritage is a school as well that only concerns itself with basketball.  Crestview and Heritage could have some good meets/rivals together.  Ill see if I cant get something rolling between the two as we are looking for meets as a lot of the season tournaments are being cancelled.

Just so you know, they Heritage Volleyball coach has a 2x state qualifier son, but I'd like to keep him at AC for our youth program. They are family to me, so I'm a bit biased. I'm still mad that our AD chose not to hire her for the AC Volleyball position. Heritage & Woodlan have always been different than the rest of the conference when it came to wrestling. I'm afraid SW is going to head back in that direction.

Just so you know, they Heritage Volleyball coach has a 2x state qualifier son, but I'd like to keep him at AC for our youth program. They are family to me, so I'm a bit biased. I'm still mad that our AD chose not to hire her for the AC Volleyball position. Heritage & Woodlan have always been different than the rest of the conference when it came to wrestling. I'm afraid SW is going to head back in that direction.

I used to work with her years ago.  Hell of a strong willed lady and great family.

Yeah both Heritage and Woodlan programs have struggled for years.  Heritage had a somewhat solid program years ago but coaches leave and kids get talked into basketball only to ride the bench and quit altogether.  Both of my boys were welcomed with open arms into the Jet wrestling club years ago, It was a great experience for them.  Currie, Shultz and the rest of the AC program always treated us like family.  

The current coaches at Heritage are trying to bring back a program but the AD and ex football coach is against it, So no extra attention goes towards it.  

16 hours ago, aces&eights said:

Yeah both Heritage and Woodlan programs have struggled for years.  Heritage had a somewhat solid program years ago but coaches leave and kids get talked into basketball only to ride the bench and quit altogether.  Both of my boys were welcomed with open arms into the Jet wrestling club years ago, It was a great experience for them.  Currie, Shultz and the rest of the AC program always treated us like family.  

The current coaches at Heritage are trying to bring back a program but the AD and ex football coach is against it, So no extra attention goes towards it.  

I think wrestling against Crestview would be good and talking with Jake could help you out. It's amazing how he got wrestling into a basketball crazy school. I remember when I think Lincolnview (another big basketball school) randomly added wrestling. I emailed the then AD at Crestview about starting a wrestling program or if anything had been rolling yet. I got an email saying that as long as he was in that position, it would never happen and there was no need for it. He changed roles, and Jake arrives on the school board and the rest was history. Funny thing was that once Jake got wrestling he resigned from the school board (now there could have been other reasons, but I think he had that planned). That could be the route for getting wrestling respect at Heritage.

I was glad Currie & Schultz allowed my step son to do the JW youth club last year in addition to his Crestview youth club. He was able to get 2 days of practice instead of just 1 since his father doesn't take him to his practices or events. He really loves the sport and enjoyed wrestling Rivals nights with my cousins' 2 boys from SA. He's going to miss that this year since COVID has ruined that. I know Crestview was wanting to join the Rivals Nights

Edited by casualwrestlingfan

17 hours ago, AdamsCoBuschhh said:

I used to work with her years ago.  Hell of a strong willed lady and great family.

Lol her father (my great uncle) and my grandpa (my mom's side) as well as all their siblings were "strong willed" as you put it. I've been told that trait I partially possess is known as being a stubborn a**. You may have worked with my dad and/or another family state streeter's dad (on my dad's side). That state streeter is a big wrestling guy and was a good AC HWT. I wish he'd go into the room and give some pointers, but that isn't really his style. He loves being a wrestling fan and just watching.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.