Qualifying weigh ins for state tourney?

Eagle2

Has anyone heard of the IHSAA making any adjustments to how many weigh ins a kid needs to have to qualify for State? I believe you have to have 5. With matches getting canceled it’s starting to concern me. Any help would be appreciated. 

IHSAA winter sports bulletin published last week still calls for 6 qualified weigh-ins to qualify for state tournament series. As it stands today, our team's schedule only includes 6 duals and a super dual, so that's definitely going to be tight. First dual isn't even until Dec. 2. God forbid a kids out sick or injured for a week. Or forced to quarantine for two weeks because of "suspected contact" with a COVID case.

But let's be honest here, if things keep headed the way they are now . . . doesn't feel like there's a scenario where suddenly school districts feel comfortable hosting big multi-team tournaments by last week of January. I don't want to be this pessimistic, somebody tell me it's all going to be ok!

I know in past years with snow cancelations the IHSAA is normally willing to find loopholes to fill the spots like weigh-in at a meet that they're not wrestling at. We had a team come weigh-in to get an extra weigh-in about 3 years ago while we had a dual with another school. I'm sure the IHSAA will keep it the same until they feel the need to change it. 

I guess the way that I read this is, what about kids who are quarantined due to close contact? They may be out 2 weeks and could potentially miss the opportunity to weigh-in 4-6 times.

Obviously, if event are canceled then team could possibly catch a nearby event and get a weigh-in.

3 hours ago, Eagle2 said:

This season is a disaster. I know a team that has 4 weigh ins scheduled now due to quarantine and other events getting canceled. 

That team should contact a ref to come to their school to get qualifying weigh-ins on paper and in the system once they are off quarantine. 

You can get a ref to do weigh-ins any time you wish, as long as the kids are not quarantined. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.