Michigan wrestling in masks

ACMSBagubas

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2020/October/24/Michigan-requires-high-school-wrestlers-to-wear-masks-while-wrestling?fbclid=IwAR3bziVhQmO7gYlgteaC3XGUwklKKKtSs-BELmYInwFUwR8EWVXTX97c__Y

Not exactly sure how a kid is expected to breathe, especially once it’s sweaty.  Beyond that who in their right mind thinks a mask is going to stay on while wrestling?!  No chance that works even once 

Edited by Baguba139

• ACMSBagubas changed the title to Michigan wrestling in masks

Whats interesting is even the cdc recommends not wearing mask during physical activities as well of making sure you're not wearing mask that are wet. So will wrestlers have to have a mask for each match plus one to wear then not wrestling? There's other issues with mask constantly coming off but whether we agree with them or not the wearing of mask should at least be constant with cdc recommendations. 

Michigan is a great state but the governor, health dept, and MHSAA are not so good.  I am not sure if this goes for high school also, but here is the middle school memo the MHSAA put out.  I have not seen an official high school memo ( which is weird ).   https://www.mhsaa.com/portals/0/Documents/WR/mswrcovid.pdf  Some highlights are include:

1. Wearing mask during competition

2. Middle school can only compete on Tuesday or Wednesday and only 1 time per week.  5-6 days BETWEEN competitions. I THINK this will be the same for high school but they will be only on Friday or Saturday and only 1 time per week.  Not 100% sure on that yet.

3. Max of 4 teams at any competition.  I believe this is the same for high school.

This is my favorite though - 

To minimize official’s exposure, when starting in the neutral position, wrestlers will start with their back foot on the 10’ circle, directly opposite the RED and GREEN starting line. This is in an attempt to eliminate the need for the official to stand between two (2) wrestlers in close proximity each time while in the neutral position. The wrestlers must move forward after the official has blown the whistle.

I really hope that high school doesn't get restricted the same but I think it will be somewhat similar.  MI has lost all common sense.

34 minutes ago, doctorWrestling said:

To minimize official’s exposure, when starting in the neutral position, wrestlers will start with their back foot on the 10’ circle, directly opposite the RED and GREEN starting line. This is in an attempt to eliminate the need for the official to stand between two (2) wrestlers in close proximity each time while in the neutral position. The wrestlers must move forward after the official has blown the whistle.

That is where they used to start back in the "good ole" days, even before my time! If you went to the Al Smith they used to have a mat with the 10 foot circle having the red and green markings.

17 hours ago, doctorWrestling said:

Michigan is a great state but the governor, health dept, and MHSAA are not so good.  I am not sure if this goes for high school also, but here is the middle school memo the MHSAA put out.  I have not seen an official high school memo ( which is weird ).   https://www.mhsaa.com/portals/0/Documents/WR/mswrcovid.pdf  Some highlights are include:

1. Wearing mask during competition

2. Middle school can only compete on Tuesday or Wednesday and only 1 time per week.  5-6 days BETWEEN competitions. I THINK this will be the same for high school but they will be only on Friday or Saturday and only 1 time per week.  Not 100% sure on that yet.

3. Max of 4 teams at any competition.  I believe this is the same for high school.

I really hope that high school doesn't get restricted the same but I think it will be somewhat similar.  MI has lost all common sense.

Michigan is trying to put into place items to help ensure we have a wrestling season... why is that bad???  We may not like some of the things being put into place, but isnt that better than not having a season??  

1 hour ago, AJ said:

Michigan is trying to put into place items to help ensure we have a wrestling season... why is that bad???  We may not like some of the things being put into place, but isnt that better than not having a season??  

It remains to be seen what it looks like.  The limitations of 4 teams MAX at events and possibly only 1 event a week would mean a MAX of 21 matches I believe.  Then if you consider all the small schools in MI that will get stuck wrestling other small schools with teams with many forfeits, you could easily enter the post season with around 10 matches.  Say you don't make it out of districts, and you get 12 matches for the year.  Then look across the border at Ohio, IN, and Wisconsin who are all having many more opportunities and you would not be thrilled.  Again, I am speculating but don't think I am going too far out on a limb here.  There were many tournaments this summer where kids did not wear masks and were not spreaders.  Many reports say wrestling is not more dangerous than other sports who get to have normal seasons.  Just pointing out the over reaction without scientific backing and what it will do to our "season" compared to our neighboring states.

Will teams be allowed to leave the state to compete? I know some of the top teams go to Brecksville. 

Btw... Brecksville  is on the schedule for teams like Avon this year. If anyone has ever been there... it’s packed! With Ohio’s leadership... how will that work? 

11 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Illinois just moved wrestling to April 19-June 26th.

I wonder if anyone will try to pull off two titles in the same year and wrestle in Indiana and Illinois.

@Sig40 you have any inklings of any Illinois studs moving in? You’d probably most likely to know. 

36 minutes ago, Galagore said:

As a part of the mitigation plan, masks will be worn by all players, coaches, and officials during play. Boys and girls basketball teams will follow team limitations, allowing a maximum of 31 games. It will become a local school decision to determine if a school will allow their basketball teams to participate following the guidelines developed by the SMAC.

So they have to wear masks while playing and limit their schedule...  Each school has the final say if they will participate...  It seems they worked out a compromise for now...

On 10/27/2020 at 11:41 AM, Mattyb said:

Will teams be allowed to leave the state to compete? I know some of the top teams go to Brecksville. 

Btw... Brecksville  is on the schedule for teams like Avon this year. If anyone has ever been there... it’s packed! With Ohio’s leadership... how will that work? 

Brecksville is happening, but they are not letting outside states in.  Hopefully someone puts together a Holiday tournament that most of the Al Smith teams can join in.  

Michigan posted their return to play guidelines.  We are limited to 1 competition per week with a max of 4 total teams at an event.  Just for your fun, here are some of the mask rules:

Face Covering Match FAQs:

Q. How do matches start?

A. Matches are started with face coverings made of cloth or approved medical grade fabric/material that cover each wrestler’s nose and mouth. Officials are also required to wear a face covering.

Q. What if a wrestler’s face covering falls below the nose and mouth while wrestling?

A. If a mask comes down while wrestling, it should be treated the same as if a head gear comes off during a match. The official will verbally inform the wrestler in question to adjust the face covering appropriately. The official will stop action for the adjustment as soon as action allows or either wrestler is placed in a dangerous situation.

Q. What if a wrestler’s mask comes down while a scoring situation is occurring, or during a pinning situation?

A. The scoring situation will continue, similar to if a head gear comes off or unsecured. The correction should be made at the conclusion of the scoring situation.

Q. What if a wrestler purposely pulls down his/her own face mask to avoid a scoring or pinning situation?

A. The scoring situation will continue, and the offending wrestler shall be penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct. 

Q. What if a wrestler purposely pulls down or alters his/her opponent’s face covering?

A. The official will stop the match, allow the offended wrestler the opportunity to correct the altered face covering, and the offending wrestler shall be penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Q. I am wrestling out of state. Can I choose to not wear a face covering while competing?

A. NO

Q. An out-of-state team is wrestling in Michigan. Can they choose to not wear face coverings while competing?

A. NO

From what I read, a team from MI could wrestle out of state as long as we suffocate ourselves while the other teams get to breathe.

Just Cancel the Season or Push back until the pandemic is controlled....unfortunately wrestling is one of the worst sports with this thing around. No reason to risk health of the students and other people for high school athletics. Im sure thats not a popular opinion around here but what ya gonna do 🤷‍♂️. This is up there with practicing Bulimia to make weight, it's just not healthy and in the  long term causes more problems than it solves. That's Nicky Dubz's 2 Cents that no one asked for.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.