Practice protocals

Paycheck141

• 5 weeks later...

Just looking to follow this up. I thought it was a valid concern and something we should all be considering as we gear up for our season. 

What are you guys thinking about how you will run practices? We've discussed creating groups of four for practice and you can only work within that group. 

The question was brought to me by my AD about using two mats for duals but only running one match at a time and once one match ends, cleaning the mat between matches. Seems like it would make the dual take twice as long but is it necessary? 

Tournaments, do you have hospitality rooms? Do you have tournaments at all? Do we modify our schedule and compete in multiple duals a week? 

What are your plans to prevent the spread? 

28 minutes ago, CoachW33 said:

Just looking to follow this up. I thought it was a valid concern and something we should all be considering as we gear up for our season. 

What are you guys thinking about how you will run practices? We've discussed creating groups of four for practice and you can only work within that group. 

The question was brought to me by my AD about using two mats for duals but only running one match at a time and once one match ends, cleaning the mat between matches. Seems like it would make the dual take twice as long but is it necessary? 

Tournaments, do you have hospitality rooms? Do you have tournaments at all? Do we modify our schedule and compete in multiple duals a week? 

What are your plans to prevent the spread? 

So far what we are doing is temp checks at the beginning of practice

each wrestler uses their own water bottle

they have the same partner everyday

sanitize frequently

and asking the general COVID 19 questions  

The main things we are focusing on is masks as much as possible such as during warm-ups, technique teaching, stretching, etc. The other is having groups of about 4 or 5 kids that can wrestle with each other. As well as the obvious things like hand sanitizer and more stringent cleaning.

Meets will be interesting as we will need to space seating and possibly limit who travels based on what JV matches we would have. I think we may even need to have a "half time" for duals to clean the mats. For bigger events we may need to clean mats after each round so it would add another 15 minutes to each round.

As we tell the kids, whether we like this stuff or not this is what we will NEED to do to have a full and complete season so just do it. No one wants to go to these measures so complaining isn't going to do any good.

It will definitely be a discussion at the IHSWCA clinic tomorrow and Friday. I think it will be a huge benefit to talk to other coaches, but to also see what kind of guidance Robert Faulkens may provide. 

We have talked about these groups of 4 pods at our schools, but even then my admin mentioned how they couldn't be around each other in the locker room, at meets, on the bus etc for contact tracing. Nearly an impossible position.

I have been seeing pictures of a few college teams on social media where they have kids drilling with gaiters around their necks.  I would think the sweat from the person wearing it ( and realistically their partner ) would have that wet in no time.  Then to think they would pull it up to breathe through it again makes me sort of sick.  

I will admit that I think relying on masks in a perfect environment is bad idea for healthy people.  But wet masks that collect bacteria are going to be a disaster.  Even the post where someone said they will wear them during warm up and then technique - where are they going to put the mask between those times?  Are you providing new masks or are they wearing the same mask they wore all day? 

I know masks are supposed to be the cure all for everything, but please take the time to do some research before mandating kids to wear them during exercise.  I mean research as in reading what PPE experts say, not what the governor has to say to cover their butt.

1 hour ago, doctorWrestling said:

I have been seeing pictures of a few college teams on social media where they have kids drilling with gaiters around their necks.  I would think the sweat from the person wearing it ( and realistically their partner ) would have that wet in no time.  Then to think they would pull it up to breathe through it again makes me sort of sick.  

I will admit that I think relying on masks in a perfect environment is bad idea for healthy people.  But wet masks that collect bacteria are going to be a disaster.  Even the post where someone said they will wear them during warm up and then technique - where are they going to put the mask between those times?  Are you providing new masks or are they wearing the same mask they wore all day? 

I know masks are supposed to be the cure all for everything, but please take the time to do some research before mandating kids to wear them during exercise.  I mean research as in reading what PPE experts say, not what the governor has to say to cover their butt.

One thing we are hoping to do is install 50+ hooks in the room so kids can hang their masks up and not just throw them on the ground between times of wearing them. Throwing them on the ground is not good when you can add any assortment of skin diseases to the mask along with your Covid! On top of that people need to wash their masks regularly, which I'm not sure everyone is doing.

Now on the mask issue. Masks are NOT a cure all, no one has EVER claimed they are 100% effective. Too many people think that social distancing, masks, etc are 100% effective and when they are not they claim they are worthless. Just because it isn't 100% effective doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. No vaccine is 100% effective, but it's still a REALLY good idea to get them.

The purpose of masks is to reduce the risk and more importantly to limit the amount of the virus that is expelled. If you have COVID or even the flu and the particles are filtered 80% through your mask the people than contract it through you will be affected way less due to it being a lower dosage of the virus. A simple test would be would you rather someone sneeze in your face with or without a mask on? 

Lastly, if you look at schools and their COVID cases you see that they are very low. They have strict protocols and kids are wearing their masks PROPERLY, sanitizing, social distancing at a higher rate, etc. In the whole Carroll school district of about 6000+ students there have only been 20 confirmed cases between students and staff. In all honesty I'd feel much safer in a school than Wal-Mart or any other public place where people are casually adhering to the guidelines.

I am not against people wearing masks IF THEY WANT TO.  I do believe it isn't just all positives from wearing them though and the PPE experts should be listened to.  Its hard for me to believe that kids breathing their own air all day long with a mask that has collected garbage all day is good.  I just think it should be up to the individual to make their own decision.  There are states that do not require them and are somehow surviving.  Just suggesting people consider the down side and research what is best for kids.

We should probably just class the individual state tournament. That would probably take care of things. I kid...

My major concern is Saturday meets...not so much in the safety, but in getting several schools together who may have varying degrees of safety measures. Hopefully our coaches and parents will react well if the host school has more stringent mask enforcement, etc. than their home school. Hosting a tournament is hard enough, let alone now, let alone if you are constantly having to ask people to follow basic safety guidelines.

16 minutes ago, Galagore said:

We should probably just class the individual state tournament. That would probably take care of things. I kid...

My major concern is Saturday meets...not so much in the safety, but in getting several schools together who may have varying degrees of safety measures. Hopefully our coaches and parents will react well if the host school has more stringent mask enforcement, etc. than their home school. Hosting a tournament is hard enough, let alone now, let alone if you are constantly having to ask people to follow basic safety guidelines.

With football each school/conference has different protocols with masks or number of fans which will make it very hard to keep up with this year.

Secondly, how much does the host school hold to their protocols how the other team works? Do they make sure kids on the opposing teams in other sports are following the protocols or is that up to the coaching staff?

1 hour ago, Galagore said:

I can say the biggest issue Covid safety protocol we have had with football this year have been with opponents fans.  Our schools football protocol was to limit seating to just immediate family members and require masks when not distanced.  However, most of the visiting schools brought what I would consider their typical traveling fan base that was beyond immediate family and many were not wearing masks at any point.   Not sure it resulted in any more cases occurring, but it definitely was some type of communication/enforcement breakdown between the ADs and fans.  

Luckily for our indoor sports our gym seating allows fans to spread out slot better when not holding really large events.  

• 1 month later...

I have seen and heard a lot of pessimism and doubt regarding wrestling having a season as COVID numbers are surging across the state. While it’s not guaranteed that we will be able to complete a season; we owe it to the kids to do the best we can to give them the opportunity to compete and have some form of a season. I wanted to share the following practices we are taking in an effort to compete this year.

The most important thing we can do with regards to mitigation is to keep athletes separated as much as possible. Practice should be set up in a way that keeps kids in small groups of no more than 3 or 4. Coaches wear masks at all times. Athletes wear masks always except when performing strenuous activities. Individual water bottles for each athlete. Athletes socially distance when learning technique/observing instructions.

I wanted to make you aware of protocols we are utilizing this year to make wrestling as safe as possible with regards to COVID-19. We have had a successful fall sports season that included contact sports and indoor sports. Consider football, offensive lineman and defensive lineman against each other for extended periods of time. Consider volleyball, an indoor sport, in which several athletes are in close contact for an extended period of time. Consider cross country, packs of runners breathing heavily in close contact for extended periods of time. We know that when positive individuals take part in these activities, spread is minimized due to cohorting (small groups), masks when possible, and good hygiene/sanitation.

Social Distancing:

·         Athletes are spaced 6ft apart for all activities that don’t require contact

·         Athletes are in small groups (2-4) for all activities that require contact

Miscellaneous:

·         Coaches wear masks at all times

·         Athletes wear masks at all times unless performing vigorous activities

·         Individual water bottles for each athlete

Sanitation:

·         Mopping mats after every practice

·         Nightly Electrostatic Fogging of the wrestling room and locker room

Team Restrictions:

·        16 wrestlers per team only

·        4 other essential personnel only

·        (20 total people from each team)

COVID-19 Protocols:

·        All fans, coaches, and team personnel must wear a mask at all times

·        No fans in the team/competition area

·        Fans for each team should stay in their specified area and not go into the fan area of another school

·        Wrestlers must wear a mask unless on the mat wrestling or warming up

·        Maintain social distance (6ft) as much as possible

·        No table set up for serving of food – individual coolers allowed

·        No coach/team personnel hospitality room

We are using similar protocols as what most have stated here. What really concerns me is listening to some staffs that have NO protocols at all and ADs have not even talked with them about protocols! Schools having clubs etc in their wrestling rooms. When we compete against these schools, how can any real contact tracing be done? If we are going to get through this season, EVERYONE must do their part.  It sucks and it's hard but it must be done. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.