1980 State Champions...Ready GO...Name 'Em All!!

Coach Wadkins

Interesting fact... The undefeated HWT champ from Greenwood (Mark Bless) is now the head football coach at Avon High School. Still a tough dude. Gotta love the fact that he went straight singlet in the champ photo!!!

Edited by Mattyb

Coach Wadkins,

Duane shared the IHSAA tape recording of the 1980 finals with me recently.  Was really fascinated as I watched all the matches, and just how different some of the rules and procedures were back then and how much the sport has evolved.  Here is the video of Lutgring’s finals match that went into OT vs Roger Miller of Warren Central.  Duane was telling me that you two had some wars on the wrestling mat!

https://youtu.be/QneIoSVTKq8

Roncalli's Duane Lutgring (second row & 2nd from the right and standing next to Coach Bless) 185 lbs State Champion 30-0 record.  Went on to wrestle for the University of Indianapolis and earn 5th Place All-American honors at the 1985 NCAA Div 2 Championships in the HWT (unlimited) division.  

Edited by Wade McClurg

Mike Niccum (Delta) was the Eagles 2nd individual state champion winning the 119 title.

He then wrestled briefly at Indiana State before transferring to Anderson University. 

We were teammates at AU and Mike won 2 NAIA all-american certificates during that time. 

1880815491_1981IndianaLittleState.thumb.png.a28ce507471cb1031c06442d5a777ce8.pngCoach McClurg,

Duane gave me my 1st college loss (8-6) in the quarters of the Indiana Little State held at Taylor University in December of 1980. He placed 3rd and I finished a disappointing 6th. The next year, I beat him in the Little State finals (8-8, 7-1 / OT) at home (Wabash) PICTURED. We never wrestled again, I believe partially because he was also a football player at ICU and had to pull too much weight to make 190 easily early in the season. I stayed down at 190 because ICU also had a giant of a man at HWT named Wade Hall that was an AA prior to Duane in 1985.

1981 Little State Champions.jpg

Edited by Coach Wadkins

Mark Scott was LaPorte High School's 1st modern day State Champ in 1980 at 132 lbs (in the op picture 1st row bottom right)

As a sophomore was 6-10-1 and 2 years later finished 28-1-1 as a senior with 20 out of 30 opponents scoring only 2 points or less.

He credits his Coach Chuck Ford with his success. 

2 key moments for him in winning a state title were his loss in the DAC final which propelled him to working even harder each and every day and the Indianapolis Star Press who previewed the State Tournament in their newspaper.  Every weight class had several individuals listed who could possibly become state champions except the 132 lbs preview which only stated "Steve Hunter of Franklin Central should have smooth sailing." Challenge accepted!

Wrestled for Ball State but injured knee requiring surgery freshman year...redshirted sophomore year and unfortunately Ball State cut the Wresting program the following year.

After college Mark coached wrestling 31 years with 28 consecutive years as Head Coach of Muncie Central High School.

Thanks to Coach Wadkins for starting this thread!

FullSizeR.jpg

The first 4 left to right back row I believe are: Bluebaugh (Bloomington), Patascil (Logansport), Kepner (Warren Central), and Palmer (Muncie South)

The first 2 in the front row are possibly Leavell (Indianapolis Tech) and Taroli (Hammond). 

I can’t remember for sure but I think that this IHSAA State Finals was the last year to be held at Southport High School. 

Edited by raven150

On 8/30/2020 at 9:23 AM, Oldslicer said:

Mark Scott was LaPorte High School's 1st modern day State Champ in 1980 at 132 lbs (in the op picture 1st row bottom right)

As a sophomore was 6-10-1 and 2 years later finished 28-1-1 as a senior with 20 out of 30 opponents scoring only 2 points or less.

He credits his Coach Chuck Ford with his success. 

2 key moments for him in winning a state title were his loss in the DAC final which propelled him to working even harder each and every day and the Indianapolis Star Press who previewed the State Tournament in their newspaper.  Every weight class had several individuals listed who could possibly become state champions except the 132 lbs preview which only stated "Steve Hunter of Franklin Central should have smooth sailing." Challenge accepted!

Wrestled for Ball State but injured knee requiring surgery freshman year...redshirted sophomore year and unfortunately Ball State cut the Wresting program the following year.

After college Mark coached wrestling 31 years with 28 consecutive years as Head Coach of Muncie Central High School.

Thanks to Coach Wadkins for starting this thread!

FullSizeR.jpg

Really really good guy and that sweet hair always ensured he never lost his power!

On 8/27/2020 at 11:26 AM, Wade McClurg said:

Coach Wadkins,

Duane shared the IHSAA tape recording of the 1980 finals with me recently.  Was really fascinated as I watched all the matches, and just how different some of the rules and procedures were back then and how much the sport has evolved.  Here is the video of Lutgring’s finals match that went into OT vs Roger Miller of Warren Central.  Duane was telling me that you two had some wars on the wrestling mat!

https://youtu.be/QneIoSVTKq8

Roncalli's Duane Lutgring (second row & 2nd from the right and standing next to Coach Bless) 185 lbs State Champion 30-0 record.  Went on to wrestle for the University of Indianapolis and earn 5th Place All-American honors at the 1985 NCAA Div 2 Championships in the HWT (unlimited) division.  

First time watching the match. I don't remember the matches being on TV, but then to hear Don Hein from WTHR and Beech Grove's own Bill Bane calling the match was nostalgic to say the least.

Thanks Wade!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.