IN kids who wrestle out-of-state coming back?

wwatson

with all the limitations and restrictions school's are having in the adjacent states,  any rumors of some of the Indiana kids transferring back to Indiana schools to wrestle IHSAA?

As this continues it will be interesting if the adjacent states are more restricted than Indiana. We might see kids from other states moving/ transferring to Indiana.

Interesting topic. If we are a go, I would venture to say we could have the best state tournament in the history of Indiana. If Ohio, Michigan and Illinois gets cancelled and we, by the grace of God, have a season. The amount of transfers to Indiana will be insane. It may pay to be a border school North, East and West!

On 8/5/2020 at 1:58 PM, Y21AB said:

It cant hurt. Right now we only have 3 guys ranked in the country by Flo.

Probably closer to 6 if the 3 i am hearing about come.  Several others not ranked that are probably on the watch list.  I wish this season had more clarity, but it doesn't so I won't start rumors and put it on here. 

On 8/5/2020 at 1:58 PM, Y21AB said:

It cant hurt. Right now we only have 3 guys ranked in the country by Flo.

I would say only having 3 guys ranked is a product of not having any offseason national tournaments this year. I think those tournaments are more important for Indiana guys because of the in-season travel restrictions in the state, so they don't get as much of a chance to accumulate nationally relevant wins. Hopefully more tournaments start to open up, so we can change that number!

On 8/6/2020 at 3:46 PM, Sig40 said:

Probably closer to 6 if the 3 i am hearing about come.  Several others not ranked that are probably on the watch list.  I wish this season had more clarity, but it doesn't so I won't start rumors and put it on here. 

So there’s actually legs to this and not just wishful thinking?

I hope high school doesn't follow NCAA. They're different at risk. NCAA you're dealing with traveling out of state and region in a a lot of cases. High school they can be restricted to instate travel only which is most cases in Indiana anyways. High School should be based on state by state not the entire nation. College makes sense to be based off of the nation since the travel and teams a made up of many different home towns. This is just my opinion. 

23 hours ago, bbulldog152 said:

I hope high school doesn't follow NCAA. They're different at risk. NCAA you're dealing with traveling out of state and region in a a lot of cases. High school they can be restricted to instate travel only which is most cases in Indiana anyways. High School should be based on state by state not the entire nation. College makes sense to be based off of the nation since the travel and teams a made up of many different home towns. This is just my opinion. 

Lets all get honest and real, most of our kids are doing kid stuff. They are playing and hanging out with friends. Doing talent shows and such. Are they really at more risk playing sports then they would be by being normal teenagers or kids??? They are holding hands with their boyfriends or girlfriends (amongst other things). They are riding in cars with friends, and doing other stuff. I may be wrong... I may be the only one that sees this. All kids may be sitting at home by themselves watching netflix??? Bottom line... How is doing sports, where there are safety protocols in place, less safe then the stuff the kids are going to do anyway. Again.. maybe all the kids are not doing normal stuff. But... I am pretty sure 90 percent are not quarantining.

Which brings me to my common sense approach...  If a kid is sick send him home for 10 days or until he obtains a negative test. Its just like any other illness!!! If a kid has the flu... dont let them back until cleared. If a kid has impetigo.. dont let them back until cleared. If a kid has chicken pox... dont let them back until cleared. If a kid has Covid19... dont let them back until they are cleared. Its that simple!!!!

Like a wise man said.. "Get busy living or get busy dying." 

Things that our kids are more likely to die from than Covid 19:

Car crash

Other accidents or falls

Drug or alcohol over dose 

Suicide 

Drowning

Murder

Heart disease

Cancer

Flu

Diabetes

I am not downplaying Covid 19. My dad has cancer and is not in good health. I know my kids have been around other kids. We (as a family) stay away from my dad for the most part. He is high risk. So, we use common sense and stay away from him. I go to his house I sit across the garage from him (that is where he hangs). We talk, enjoy some BS,  and I leave. 

Its freaking common sense!!! I will promise you this... People will all the suddenly gain common sense after November 3rd! 

Edited by Mattyb

16 hours ago, Mattyb said:

Lets all get honest and real, most of our kids are doing kid stuff. They are playing and hanging out with friends. Doing talent shows and such. Are they really at more risk playing sports then they would be by being normal teenagers or kids??? They are holding hands with their boyfriends or girlfriends (amongst other things). They are riding in cars with friends, and doing other stuff. I may be wrong... I may be the only one that sees this. All kids may be sitting at home by themselves watching netflix??? Bottom line... How is doing sports, where there are safety protocols in place, less safe then the stuff the kids are going to do anyway. Again.. maybe all the kids are not doing normal stuff. But... I am pretty sure 90 percent are not quarantining.

Which brings me to my common sense approach...  If a kid is sick send him home for 10 days or until he obtains a negative test. Its just like any other illness!!! If a kid has the flu... dont let them back until cleared. If a kid has impetigo.. dont let them back until cleared. If a kid has chicken pox... dont let them back until cleared. If a kid has Covid19... dont let them back until they are cleared. Its that simple!!!!

Car crash

Other accidents or falls

Suicide 

Drowning

Murder

Heart disease

Cancer

Flu

Diabetes

I am not downplaying Covid 19. My dad has cancer and is not in good health. I know my kids have been around other kids. We (as a family) stay away from my dad for the most part. He is high risk. So, we use common sense and stay away from him. I go to his house I sit across the garage from him (that is where he hangs). We talk, enjoy some BS,  and I leave. 

Its freaking common sense!!! I will promise you this... People will all the suddenly gain common sense after November 3rd! 

I agree with you I was just saying indiana high school sports shouldn't follow what ncaa is doing. 

On 8/11/2020 at 4:11 PM, Mattyb said:

Car crash

Other accidents or falls

Suicide 

Drowning

Murder

Heart disease

Cancer

Flu

Diabetes

It’s not as simple as “common sense” because common sense would tell you that around 4% of people with COVID are dying. Common sense would also tell you that COVID spreads a lot more frequently than most of the things listed above. Lastly, common sense would tell you there are ways to prevent most of the things up there (excluding cancer and type one diabetes) 

Lets say worst case scenario happens and every American gets COVID. That’s 356 million Americans. 4% of them dying is about 18 million. Would you rather save the 4% that could potentially get COVID in the future or wrestle this year?

Also the notion that it doesn’t affect teenagers and young adults is something most Americans believe but is simply not true. I had a friend (in his 20s and in good health) get it and he had to go to the ER because COVID caused him to get pneumonia. He said it was the worst experience of his life and I can believe it. I’m not advocating cancelling the wrestling season right now, but it might be in our best interest as time goes on to cancel. I wanna save the 4% and that’s more important to me than wrestling

On 8/11/2020 at 3:11 PM, Mattyb said:

Car crash

Other accidents or falls

Suicide 

Drowning

Murder

Heart disease

Cancer

Flu

Diabetes

Prayers for your dad. 
but I seriously doubt this will disappear come Nov 3. Just like it didn’t when the weather turned warm. 

2 hours ago, 1prouddad said:

Prayers for your dad. 
but I seriously doubt this will disappear come Nov 3. Just like it didn’t when the weather turned warm. 

I agree that it won’t disappear. What I’m saying is that our elected officials all seem to have an agenda. I have never seen something so politicalized. I just just believe after November 3rd, people will be less motivated to force agendas, fear, and misinformation on us all (on both sides of the aisle). I believe that is when we MAY see the common sense approach applied. 

But... like a wise man once said...

”Fat chance that happens...” 

Edited by Mattyb

Common sense to me would be to keep your kid away from the sport if they are sick or the parent feels the risk is too much. I myself will have my son wrestle as long as he has zero symptoms. To the country kid, don’t have your child wrestle and you won’t have to worry about it. At some point we must get back to normalcy and allow these student athletes be just that. COVID will not go away just as the flu has never left.

6 hours ago, TheCountyKid said:

It’s not as simple as “common sense” because common sense would tell you that around 4% of people with COVID are dying. Common sense would also tell you that COVID spreads a lot more frequently than most of the things listed above. Lastly, common sense would tell you there are ways to prevent most of the things up there (excluding cancer and type one diabetes) 

Lets say worst case scenario happens and every American gets COVID. That’s 356 million Americans. 4% of them dying is about 18 million. Would you rather save the 4% that could potentially get COVID in the future or wrestle this year?

Also the notion that it doesn’t affect teenagers and young adults is something most Americans believe but is simply not true. I had a friend (in his 20s and in good health) get it and he had to go to the ER because COVID caused him to get pneumonia. He said it was the worst experience of his life and I can believe it. I’m not advocating cancelling the wrestling season right now, but it might be in our best interest as time goes on to cancel. I wanna save the 4% and that’s more important to me than wrestling

There have been 56 Covid-19 related deaths of children ages 5-18 thus far in the USA. The vast majority, if not all of those children,  had underlying conditions. I will pray for each and everyone of those kids right now. All of the things listed are well above the number of Covid deaths. With this said... I stand by my post.

As of today there have been 5,386,812 confirmed Covid-19 cases in the USA. There have been 170,348 deaths. This is a mortality rate of 3 percent with the vast majority off them being over the age of 60 and in nursing homes. Out of the 3 percent of deaths .03 percent of the are ages 5-18 (school aged kids). So no... 4 percent of the wrestlers in Indiana will not die. 

@TheCountyKid how’s your friend? I hope he’s fully recovered. 

btw.. I stand by Howie’s @bluemonsterpost too. 

Below are the stats (from the CDC) which outline child deaths from Covid-19. These are the current running totals. 

BE35FB2C-D45F-4F18-A2E9-BD0BA4117AD3.png

Edited by Mattyb

On 8/11/2020 at 4:11 PM, Mattyb said:

Car crash

Other accidents or falls

Suicide 

Drowning

Murder

Heart disease

Cancer

Flu

Diabetes

The major flaw with the logic of “Which brings me to my common sense approach...  If a kid is sick send him home for 10 days or until he obtains a negative test. Its just like any other illness!!!”  
This is from the medical research site uptodate.com, the virus is most contagious in the 2 days BEFORE symptoms and right as symptoms present. Which is different from the majority of illnesses. 

4 hours ago, Regulator said:

The major flaw with the logic of “Which brings me to my common sense approach...  If a kid is sick send him home for 10 days or until he obtains a negative test. Its just like any other illness!!!”  
This is from the medical research site uptodate.com, the virus is most contagious in the 2 days BEFORE symptoms and right as symptoms present. Which is different from the majority of illnesses. 

Lots of things are contagious (including the flu) before people know they have it. So it is like other things in this aspect. 

And yes I do realize for most people Covid is waaaay worse than the flu. But.. the numbers do not reflect this for school aged children. And yes I am aware of some people’s theory on the heart. 

People... I’m not going to debate a bunch of no named liberals on this forum. I’m not a Republican or a Democratic. I vote for who I think is the best person for the job. I think this is important to know due to the extreme politicalization of this topic.

All that I’m doing is providing data And facts. I really think that we can have a season and go back to some kind of normalcy by taking precautions (similar to what coach P has outlined in another thread), sanitize better, and using a common sense approach. It appears that I have ruffled some far left feathers by suggesting we use a common sense approach. Sorry if I upset you all. Please know that it is just my opinion. Like @bluemonster my kids are going to wrestle. It’s my choice, which is based on the facts. If you don’t agree and don’t feel safe, keep you wrestler out. Sooner or later we have to wrestle and play sports. Again... common sense.  

btw... I’m not opposed to moving, shortening, or modifying the season either. If that is the compromise to make more people feel better and safer, then I support that to ensure more kids participate. Just like Joe had to do to ensure a safer and great tourney (big thanks to Joe for his work and compromise to make the IHPO happen!) .  We need to wrestle this year!

More common sense for ya. 

Here is information from the CDC on how the flu spreads. 

70462169-7BE4-401E-B236-09B6413A666F.png

Edited by Mattyb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.