Wrestling a Spring Sport

California, Virginia, and New Mexico have moved their wrestling season to the spring of 2021. 

https://www.desertsun.com/story/sports/high-school/prepsports/2020/07/20/its-official-cif-move-football-all-fall-sports-early-2021/5471897002/

"All the rest of the sports will be considered "spring" sports with seasons beginning in March and ending in May or June. That will also be a big change for certain winter sports like basketball, wrestling and soccer which traditionally begin in November and now won't start their seasons until March."

With the uncertainties of whether or not we will even have a season this year, I wish IHSAA would follow suit. It definitely looks as if some athletes would have to make a decision on which sport to give up, i.e. wrestling/track, but it would give us the most likely chance of having a season. Because lets be real...this isn't going away by November/December. And even with we get somewhat of a handle on the situation, one hot spot in the state could shut down the whole state. At least a "spring" season could give us more time to find more and better treatment options. 

Thoughts???

I'm all for having a "normal" season as much as possible. This would be interesting at the smaller schools where kids would need to make the choice. 

The biggest factor that would come into play would be national level events such as trials for world teams and then on top of that the qualifications for Fargo and such. 

If this gets us a normal competition season then I'm in on it, but as it seems now normal is not going to happen no matter what.

The fall to winter thing really just won’t work I don’t believe, unless you were to do like October, November, December for Fall sports. January and February are just too cold for outdoor sports. 

Winter to spring makes sense, And spring to summer, but I don’t know how fall sports will work in winter.

As for how it will affect small schools if they didn't move track I know at my school it would affect track more than wrestling. Most if not all of my wrestlers that do track would pick wrestling over track. I've always  been for having a break between football and wrestling. I think having a month or more in-between football and wrestling will cause more football players to go out for wrestling.  We get decent numbers at the middle school doing that but at the high school some teams finish football then have first meet in a week and some decide not to come out . Some concerns created could be practice over spring break and possibly no 2 day holiday tournaments if competition doesn't start until after spring break. 

Winter Sports - January & February

Fall Sports - March & April

Spring Sports - May & June

I have been saying this to anyone that will listen.  Shortened seasons are not ideal, but this might be the best and safest option for this year to try and "guarantee" seniors and all kids a school year and athletics.  This also allows kids to play multiple sports.  This would also give schools 20 weeks to figure out how to get back to live in-person school and educating kids in a safe manner, which should be the most important mission right now.  Would also like to think that 6 months from now we will have a better handle and understanding on Covid 19 and be able to get back to normalcy.  It is unnecessary to rush into a fall sports season, when we don't even know how school is going to work.  Would hate to get to week 2 of football season and be right back where we were in March.  Just my two cents... WE WILL WRESTLE AGAIN

Edited by Wade McClurg

4 hours ago, ehscoach said:

The fall to winter thing really just won’t work I don’t believe, unless you were to do like October, November, December for Fall sports. January and February are just too cold for outdoor sports. 

Winter to spring makes sense, And spring to summer, but I don’t know how fall sports will work in winter.

Yes, should have been more specific and said Fall sports to late fall into winter. I wouldn't be opposed to Wade McClurg's suggestion either.

I guess I dont really understand how moving the sports to spring is going to help that much.  Who is to stay that if it were to happen, that maybe things worsen during that spring season, when in reality maybe it would have been somewhat feasible to have a somewhat normal season during a traditional winter season? There is just too many what it's.  I wouldnt jump the gun too soon on moving it just yet. I dont see this going away anytime soon. Regardless of what happens, I want us to be able to compete as safely possible.

2 hours ago, rookie78 said:

I guess I dont really understand how moving the sports to spring is going to help that much.  Who is to stay that if it were to happen, that maybe things worsen during that spring season, when in reality maybe it would have been somewhat feasible to have a somewhat normal season during a traditional winter season? There is just too many what it's.  I wouldnt jump the gun too soon on moving it just yet. I dont see this going away anytime soon. Regardless of what happens, I want us to be able to compete as safely possible.

I think there will be a vaccine by then. I assume that others believe the same thing.

Here is my educated guess on how things may go. I think that the IHSAA will in fact start the football season. As soon as a handful of players from a few teams test positive Covid (notice that I did not say contract), the football season will be ended or postponed. Football season goes through a November and we all know what also happens in November. We all see that Covid has been and will be further politicalized. If you don’t believe that... just watch Fox News (If you want the republican side) or CNN (if you want the democrat side) today. I tend to watch both, and have came to the conclusion that both sides have completely gone crazy!  I’m not here to say which side is right or wrong... I’m just stating the obvious. Politics will come into play. 

Bottom line.. until we get a vaccine and the election is over.... I wouldn’t plan on having a season. Again, it’s just a very educated guess from watching our country fall apart everyday in the media. I hope that I’m wrong. 

Edited by Mattyb

32 minutes ago, Mattyb said:

I think there will be a vaccine by then. I assume that others believe the same thing.

Here is my educated guess on how things may go. I think that the IHSAA will in fact start the football season. As soon as a handful of players from a few teams test positive Covid (notice that I did not say contract), the season will be ended or postponed. Football season goes through a November and we all know what also happens in November. We all see that Covid has been and will be further be politicalized. If you don’t believe that... just watch Fox News (If you want the republican side) or CNN (if you want the democrat side) today. I tend to watch both and have came to the conclusion that both sides have completely gone crazy!  I’m not here to say which side is right or wrong... I’m just stating the obvious. Politics will come into play. 

Bottom line.. until we get a vaccine and the election is over.... I wouldn’t plan on having a season. Again, it’s just a very educated guess from watching our country fall apart everyday in the media. I hope that I’m wrong. 

I hope u are correct!

8 hours ago, Mattyb said:

Here is my educated guess on how things may go. I think that the IHSAA will in fact start the football season. As soon as a handful of players from a few teams test positive Covid (notice that I did not say contract), the football season will be ended or postponed. Football season goes through a November and we all know what also happens in November. We all see that Covid has been and will be further politicalized. If you don’t believe that... just watch Fox News (If you want the republican side) or CNN (if you want the democrat side) today. I tend to watch both, and have came to the conclusion that both sides have completely gone crazy!  I’m not here to say which side is right or wrong... I’m just stating the obvious. Politics will come into play. 

I hope you are correct, however, currently Japan is leading the charge on making a vaccine. And started testing it on June 30. However, but it will not be released to public (pending successful testing) until July 2021. Unless American medicine or UK medicine has a massive breakthrough a vaccine released to the public this year is unlikely. 

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/06/30/national/science-health/japan-first-coronavirus-vaccine-clinical-test-starts/

4 hours ago, Silence Dogood said:

Casting my vote for moving wrestling to the Spring permanently. My 2 boys (9 and 11) love basketball and wrestling...and I can't stand watching baseball games. 

Off topic, but as long as I'm casting

votes for my personal preferences...I also want to throw one out for getting youth wrestling back to Saturdays. 

59 minutes ago, Silence Dogood said:

Off topic, but as long as I'm casting

votes for my personal preferences...I also want to throw one out for getting youth wrestling back to Saturdays. 

We do have youth tournaments on Saturdays. This happens after the high school season is over. The high school staffs and teams wrestle on Saturdays. They are the ones that run the youth tournaments.  That also means that the mats are being used to wrestle high school matches On Saturdays. 

From my experience less than 5 percent of the wrestling community gives of themselves to hold tournaments. The crazy thing is that most people that are doing the high school stuff are the same people who show up in Sundays to do the youth stuff. 

4 hours ago, SunDevils said:

I hope you are correct, however, currently Japan is leading the charge on making a vaccine. And started testing it on June 30. However, but it will not be released to public (pending successful testing) until July 2021. Unless American medicine or UK medicine has a massive breakthrough a vaccine released to the public this year is unlikely. 

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/06/30/national/science-health/japan-first-coronavirus-vaccine-clinical-test-starts/

And....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.amp.html

Looks like Oxford is in the lead.

Regardless... I think that we will have a vaccine before spring. With this said.... people on Fox News will have you believe that we are going to have one next month. People on CNN will have you believe that we will have one in 2022. It is what it is. I stand by my prediction of a pre-spring vaccine. 

Edited by Mattyb

1 hour ago, Mattyb said:

And....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.amp.html

Looks like Oxford is in the lead.

Regardless... I think that we will have a vaccine before spring. With this said.... people on Fox News will have you believe that we are going to have one next month. People on CNN will have you believe that we will have one in 2022. It is what it is. I stand by my prediction of a pre-spring vaccine. 

I hope you're right since I do not want to see another college season impacted. 

13 hours ago, Mattyb said:

From my experience less than 5 percent of the wrestling community gives of themselves to hold tournaments. The crazy thing is that most people that are doing the high school stuff are the same people who show up in Sundays to do the youth stuff. 

Very true. 

13 hours ago, Mattyb said:

We do have youth tournaments on Saturdays. This happens after the high school season is over. The high school staffs and teams wrestle on Saturdays. They are the ones that run the youth tournaments.  That also means that the mats are being used to wrestle high school matches On Saturdays. 

This

19 hours ago, Silence Dogood said:

Casting my vote for moving wrestling to the Spring permanently. My 2 boys (9 and 11) love basketball and wrestling...and I can't stand watching baseball games. 

Do they really have that sport at Bellmont? I thought they banned it.

Also by having wrestling in the spring u can now have outdoor tournaments on the schools that are turfed. Not having everyone crammed in a gym would help spacing ppl out.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.