Professional Wrestling League

In the wake of world events and the recent internal struggles of USA wrestling (via Pat Downey’s tweets), I’d been thinking of how to further grow the sport, I mean we have a lot of time right now anyway. Seeing FloWrestling produce this upcoming card for fans makes me wonder how often we could witness something like this, with wrestling being a dominant component of mixed martial arts, many fans are already familiar with it and try to emulate it as they see fit. It made me wonder about my idea for a professional wrestling league. Originally, I had made a thread that would professional league that would operate with a preseason, regular season, and postseason schedule, but then I said that these matches have to mean something bigger than before.

The Best Wrestler in the World

Every year, Franklin Community High School hosts their Grizzly Ironman Series tournament which sees wrestlers compete in matches that incorporate all three styles in a 6-minute match. One period Greco, one period Freestyle, one period Folkstyle... What if FloWrestling or any host at that decided to sanction professional matches with three 3-minute periods that incorporated all three styles? It would give fans a chance to become familiar with every style of wrestling there is and it would also give the argument of who “the best in the world” is more weight/value. At the end of the day, wrestling is wrestling. In mixed martial arts, the majority of fighters wrestle 15 minutes or 25 minutes for a championship, so the time limit shouldn’t be a factor, especially since most professional athletes set themselves apart from their amateur, collegiate, and high school counterparts (NBA vs. NCAA vs. FIBA). Add in title belts and weight classes and you could have wrestling on a bigger stage than it’s been before. Imagine Zhan Beleniuk vs. David Taylor for the Ironman World Middleweight Championship... Taylor has the advantage in Folkstyle being a two-time NCAA champion and Hodge Trophy winner, Beleniuk the two-time Greco-Roman world champion, and while Taylor is a Freestyle world champion, there is a lot to be worried about when squaring off against Beleniuk. Who’s the best in all styles? Who’s truly the best in the world?

Just a thought.

Rules

• Three 3-minute periods: One Greco, one Freestyle, and one Folkstyle period each.

• Wrestler who wins pre-match coin flip gets to choose which style starts the match; opponent chooses the period that follows. In the case of championship matches, Champion’s Advantage will be in effect in which no pre-match coin flip will be required and he/she chooses what style starts the match.

• Headgear is optional.

The Match (SAMPLE)

First Period

• Wrestler A wins the coin flip and chooses the first period to be conducted under Greco-Roman rules. Wrestler B chooses the following period to be Folkstyle, which means the final period will be conducted under Freestyle rules. In this first period, the push-out rule is in effect, as are four-point moves, and the shot clock.

Second Period

• In the second period, traditional Folkstyle rules are adopted and the push-out rule is not in effect. However, riding time and the four point near-fall are now in effect. The riding time point, if there is one scored, will be added on to the scoring wrestler’s point total at the end of the match.

Third Period

• In the third and final period, amended Freestyle rules will be adopted. The only change is that step-outs will not be penalized. Push-outs will only be scored if a wrestler is actually pushed out by his/her opponent on some kind of offensive attack. If the two wrestlers scramble out of bounds, no point will be rewarded. Four point moves will be back in effect and so will the shot clock.

Overtime

• Should the match go to overtime, a coin flip will happen and the winner will determine the style for the next 90 seconds. If the match still doesn’t have a winner after the 90-second overtime period, a second coin flip will happen and the winning wrestler will get to determine whether they go into par terre or the Folkstyle ride out for 30 seconds. If the top wrestler fails to turn or successfully ride out his opponent, he/she loses the match. If the bottom wrestler fails to defend the turn or escape, he/she loses the match.

Match Scoring

• Takedown (all styles): 2 Points

• Reversal (all styles): 2 Points

• Turn/Exposure (GR/Freestyle): 2 Points

• Near-Fall (Folkstyle): 2 Points (2-3 second count), 4 Points (4 second count)

• Feet to Back (GR/Freestyle): 4 Points

• Belly-to-Back Grand Amplitude Throw or “Suplex” (GR/Freestyle): 5 Points

• Push-Out (GR/Freestyle): 1 Point

Like this! I've had similar thought to this. I called it "Combined Style Wrestling". I like having the 3 minutes compared to my idea. I'd have sub-periods for top, bottom or par-terre. I'd say wrestler wins the toss they choose the style and then the opposite chooses top or bottom for 30 seconds and then they switch. The final 2 minutes are neutral. I'd not let falls in one style prevent the others to be completed, but make each period independent of the fall/tech fall of one technique. Make it winner of rounds by still keeping your scoring method.

Interesting concept, would the weights be all ten weights allowed for worlds or would you narrow it down to the six Olympic weights? Besides title belts what would be incentives for wrestlers like Chamizo and Sadulaev to come and compete in a tournament like this? I'm sure there is financial incentive but other than that they may see it as a gimmick and not be all too interested in something like this. I could be wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.