Hoosier Preseason Open

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

One Day....A Sunday....otherwise almost no Football players due to JV games on Saturday.....unless of course day one started about 3-4 pm.  Everyone talks about trying to grow participation in that group.

How many schools do jv games on Saturday our area does theirs mostly on Mondays.  Also what percentage of participants are football players? I'm sure most football coaches probably encourage this event. 

4 hours ago, bbulldog152 said:

How many schools do jv games on Saturday our area does theirs mostly on Mondays.  Also what percentage of participants are football players? The HCC plays JV games on Saturdays (Avon/Brownsburg/Fishers/Franklin Central/HSE/Noblesville/Westfield/Zionsville)

I'm sure most football coaches probably encourage this event. This is sarcasm, correct?

2 hours ago, indypharmd said:

Actually I meant to say probably don't encourage but if you read it how i wrote it feel free to take it as sarcasm. I just don't imagine there's enough football players that attend this event to have a negative effect on having it start on a Saturday. 

21 hours ago, bbulldog152 said:

Actually I meant to say probably don't encourage but if you read it how i wrote it feel free to take it as sarcasm. I just don't imagine there's enough football players that attend this event to have a negative effect on having it start on a Saturday. 

The number of football players will be close to zero if the opportunity is not there.  If we want to grow this group you can’t think about past participation but be prepared for future.     Start Saturday afternoon (3 pm ish) if a few more rounds are needed.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the information on this year's event

We have a few ideas on the format, but at this time do not want to commit to one due to the COVID-19 situation. Here are the likely probabilities

Saturday wrestle everyone for a couple rounds from 5-9pm 
Sunday wrestle everyone fro 9am- Conclusion

Saturday wrestle the smaller weight classes 5-9pm until conclusion
Sunday wrestle everyone else 9am-Conclusion
*This could possibly include a Sunday morning weigh-in time.

Block off 3-4 hour sessions for groups of weight classes throughout the two days.

• 1 month later...

We have found a venue and are looking to finalize everything early next week. We are going to wait to make sure we get department of health approval before moving forward with registration.

Just a note we will likely have 3 sessions of wrestling, Saturday evening, Sunday morning, and Sunday afternoon. That way we can limit the number of athletes and coaches/parents as much as humanly possible during the event.

I'm the parent of a wrestler than plans to be there.

As much as I LOVE to watch my sons wrestle, I would be more than willing to stay out if that helps the kids wrestle.

And that goes for the entire IHSAA season as well.  If that's what it takes to pull this off, make it so.

We like to say (think) it's about the kids.  Time to live up to that if needed

I so want to be there, I've maybe missed two matches ever, but this is about him, not me.

1 hour ago, Katanakahn said:

I'm the parent of a wrestler than plans to be there.

As much as I LOVE to watch my sons wrestle, I would be more than willing to stay out if that helps the kids wrestle.

And that goes for the entire IHSAA season as well.  If that's what it takes to pull this off, make it so.

We like to say (think) it's about the kids.  Time to live up to that if needed

I so want to be there, I've maybe missed two matches ever, but this is about him, not me.

I hope more parents are as understanding and do this. I know we are submitting our plans soon and we will likely restrict attendance. With an individual event it is a little tricky, so we hope that if you don't need to be there you stay home and watch the stream. Plus you can drink a cold beverage at home without getting in trouble.

13 minutes ago, Josephfloyd said:

Will we still be able to coach with just a regular admission?

Our plan that we submitted to the board of health is basically this.

Three sessions with approximately 250 athletes in each session. We'll have a Saturday evening session(5-9pm), Sunday morning session(9am-1pm), and a Sunday afternoon session(1-5pm). Each session should be about 4 hours in length.

Each athlete will be allowed to bring in two guests(parent, coach, etc) and they will obviously need to pay. We are doing away with the coaches passes just to make it easier on our staff for this year. Which means "anyone" can coach.

Obviously it is highly likely that facial coverings will be required for everyone unless you are warming up or wrestling. I am anticipating a response very soon on our status. 

God bless Indiana for allowing this to happen - especially in a high school.  I am glad to see it was possible and am sure it wasn't easy.  The Grappler Fall Classic was moved to South Carolina.  It was created to give Michigan kids a chance to see the top kids from out of state without traveling but Fort Wayne is a lot closer.  With football in MI being moved to the spring, I expect to see a large number of MI kids opting to travel to Fort Wayne instead of SC.

47 minutes ago, doctorWrestling said:

God bless Indiana for allowing this to happen - especially in a high school.  I am glad to see it was possible and am sure it wasn't easy.  The Grappler Fall Classic was moved to South Carolina.  It was created to give Michigan kids a chance to see the top kids from out of state without traveling but Fort Wayne is a lot closer.  With football in MI being moved to the spring, I expect to see a large number of MI kids opting to travel to Fort Wayne instead of SC.

It won't be at a high school. I'm guessing we may not have even local tournaments in schools for a while from what I have heard.

1 hour ago, doctorWrestling said:

Oh, I must have misread - I thought it was at Carroll High School.  Is the location still to be determined then?  

We are finalizing things hopefully in the next couple days. Once we get approval from the board of health we will announce all the fun including the procedures in order to attend.

• Y2CJ41 changed the title to Hoosier Preseason Open
1 hour ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Coming soon!

Golden Girls Rose GIF by TV Land

IndianaMat was the high bidder on the Golden Girls House auction today!?!?!?!  Shelling out 4Mil is quite a lot of cash, but that pre-season open has been doing well. 

Edited by MattM

Approximately 150 spots left, don't sleep on possibly the toughest IHPO ever.  Some huge brackets with 109lbs at 76 and 123lbs with 66.  

Also noticed that Indiana will have a few new faces to start the school year.  Welcome to 1 class Indiana Sergio Lemley, Javen Estrada, and Robert Major.  

Anyone want to throw out some early predictions based off the registration right now?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.