COVID effect on wrestling numbers?

base

On 4/29/2020 at 5:12 PM, SunDevils said:

In the case of colleges, the NCAA doesn't drop a program, only in extreme circumstances (and even then Penn State football just faced numerous sanctions). Side note: Title IX is one of the reasons Penn States football team did not get dropped because if they would have dropped the football team then 80 scholarships for female athletes would have also been removed. They can issue postseason bans and even limit the number of scholarships but they do not drop a program.

Also, coaches and athletes at programs that are smaller typically realize they are on a year to year shoe string budget since most college football programs operate in the red, not the black, despite what the NCAA would lead everyone to believe. Additionally, at the college level fundraising occurs every single year (and if you pay attention to your undergraduate/graduate universities call campaigns, realistically every quarter). A last ditch effort to fund raise and save a program on the fringe for one year is like utilizing a band-aid when stitches are absolutely necessary. 

All I am saying is that it seems fair for a state or the NCAA to have to disclose to a program that you are considering cutting the program before doing it behind closed doors so that it cannot possibly be saved.  I think your image/logo is for ASU - who cut wrestling but then did fund raise and bring it back.  It seems if that is possible that it would be possible to save a program before it is actually cut.  I think the motivation to save a program would open pockets that may not give nearly as much.  

I have heard many stories of NCAA coaches being completely blind sided by the move.  For example - Eastern Michigan's AD cut the program and put out bogus expenses associated with the program to make it look much worse than it was.  They had no chance to defend or save their program.  I can't remember the D2 school in Nebraska who won the D2 national championship and was told they were being cut before they got home from the tournament.  Even a 3 month warning could help people verify the numbers and possibly raise enough to keep the program going.

I haven't seen cases like this in high school, but I think that is what some of the discussion in this thread was about.  If there is not HS football, it is possible.

45 minutes ago, doctorWrestling said:

All I am saying is that it seems fair for a state or the NCAA to have to disclose to a program that you are considering cutting the program before doing it behind closed doors so that it cannot possibly be saved.  I think your image/logo is for ASU - who cut wrestling but then did fund raise and bring it back.  It seems if that is possible that it would be possible to save a program before it is actually cut.  I think the motivation to save a program would open pockets that may not give nearly as much.  

ASU programs being dropped wasn't a surprise. There were a lot of factors surrounding that decision and fundraising is not what continues the program. The university president instituted many changes, including a coaches salary cap, relatively speaking it focused mostly on football. But most institutions won't go to such measures. Part of the reason some of these programs fail is due to the absurd coaches salaries. 

I can't remember the D2 school in Nebraska who won the D2 national championship and was told they were being cut before they got home from the tournament.

Nebraska-Omaha...On March 25, 2011, the Nebraska Board of Regents approved a plan set forth by UNO Athletics to reclassify from Division II to Division I, thereby paving the way for the Mavericks to join The Summit League beginning in July of that same year.  As part of the reclassification, UNO discontinued the football and wrestling programs to cut costs and to better align with the sports sponsored by The Summit League.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.