Unique wrestling opportunity next summer for current 5th-8th graders

OhioTofc

• 1 month later...

This is a great trip to help get your young wrestler to the next level.  Ty took this trip his 8th grade year and had a blast.  I was amazed at his maturity level and his wrestling abilities when he got back.  He went on to place at Pre-Season nationals and several other national tournaments in the months following.  There was a great mixture of Folkstyle, Freestyle and Greco and he wrestled some of the top tier kids in the country.  Most of all, he really made some life-long friends that he still talks to today.  It's such an awesome feeling to be at some of his college tournaments and run into one of his OASWT teammates.  Ty was able to fund raise about 90% of his trip costs from the community and worked off the rest with chores around the house.  

He was able to see and do so many things across the country that it was a once in a lifetime experience.  If you are interested, let me know and I can share more about our experiences.  The only downside was a picture of his cauliflower ear in the middle of Utah somewhere.. mom wasn't happy, but Ty loved it! 

• 4 months later...
October 11, 2021

Dear Parents & Coaches,

Next summer, (COVID willing), the Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team will embark on their final major wrestling tour out west. Current plans have the team competing in Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Colorado and Utah. The overall trip will encompass nearly eight weeks, beginning with a team camp, June 12-16, and continuing on thru August 4-7 (not sure on return date yet).

Since the team began, in 1983, more than 650 of the top youth wrestlers, from Ohio and surrounding states, have represented this team. Past team members have gone on to win more than 10 various NCAA titles, 200+ State High School titles and more than 25 Cadet and Junior National titles.

Here is a link to a short video of the 2014 OASWT, so that you can see what all the trip encompasses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrZRWPJ4vE0&t=9s&fbclid=IwAR0k7ISksYBqMGxmf3wrdsJYEJifo8yHDiLNwF36j1NUiQePPC0mecptm4w

The 2021 Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team roster currently stands at 26 and could be one of the strongest teams we have ever fielded. Of the current team members, 11 have been state finalists, in their respective states, with nine champions, along with 10 others who have placed. At this time, we are deciding as to what we desire our final roster size to be. This will be based on several factors, with the key one being the overall financial end of things. At a certain point, an additional vehicle and hotel room need to be added, so we are currently just trying to figure out what makes the best sense.

In the end, we could end up with anywhere from 27-32 wrestlers on the team.

Here are the weights we are currently looking for. These are estimated summer weights and the wrestlers need to currently be enrolled in 6th-9th grade. An older 5th grader would be considered, but would need to have been born in 2009 or earlier.  A younger 10th grader could also be a possibility, provided they were born January 2005, or later.

70-78 pounds (possibly 2) - current 6th or 7th grader
86-92 pounds - current 7th or 8th grader
98-104 pounds - current 7th or 8th grader
118-126 pounds (possibly 2) - prefer at least one 8th grader

Applicants do not need to be STUDS on the mat, in order to apply.  While we are are looking for good wrestlers, more so we are looking for those wrestlers with great attitudes, a good work ethic and ones that will represent our team well, both on and off the mat.

Should you know of a wrestler that might be interested in this opportunity, please let me know and I can send them additional information, as well as an application to apply. Or, they can contact me at bdbop@aol.com

We are hoping to fill all roster spots by October 20, 2021, but can also add to the roster throughout the season as well.

Yours in Wrestling,

Bart Freidenberg

• 3 months later...

Due to the ongoing COVID situation, the 2021 OASWT Tour has been postponed until 2022, which will also coincide with our 40th Anniversary of the Team. While the majority of the team has opted into remaining on the squad, we do have a few weight areas that we could use wrestlers in. The ages/weights we would be looking for are:

Current 5th/6th grader, with an anticipated Summer 2022 weight of 68-80 pounds
Current 5th-8th grader, with an anticipated Summer 2022 weight of 108-118 pounds

Additional wrestlers may be considered, dependent upon the final roster size we end up traveling with. However, they would need to currently be enrolled in 5th thru 8th grade, with an anticipated Summer 2022 weight of 68-145 pounds.

While there is no set timeline as to filling these spots, should the right applicant(s) apply, they could be added at any time.

If you have a wrestler that fits into one of these groups, and would be interested in receiving additional information about the Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team experience, please message me at bdbop@aol.com and I can send you the info.

OASWT App 2022271.jpg