Gilman ..HWC...NLWC..etc

Bored...not much action so I gotta question. Maybe some of you D1 guys can help out. 

I get the whole RTC thing but is it because there is no pro league to advance to that these things exist? And if so, how is this not considered some type of illegal recruiting setup? Hear me out..

You play football at IU (could be any team), after that if you’re good you go to the NFL. You can go work out at IU in the off-season and that’s cool, promote the alma mater etc..great. You don’t practice with them in the season tho. Why is it that Molinaro can go drill with RBY? If there were a “pro” Freestyle wrestling league with pro contracts I assume this would not and could not happen so why is it ok for a graduated alum ...and non alums in this case  ...to workout current student athletes? Plus throw in the obvious recruiting advantages and it just strikes me as...shady? The RTC setup just seems like a glorified booster club extension for the wrestling team?

Yeah, I’m bored ...but miss my intelligent wrestling talk. Even @TeamGarcia non intelligent wrestling talk. Hope ur all well. Stay safe.

On 4/10/2020 at 7:38 PM, UncleJimmy said:

Bored...not much action so I gotta question. Maybe some of you D1 guys can help out. 

I get the whole RTC thing but is it because there is no pro league to advance to that these things exist? And if so, how is this not considered some type of illegal recruiting setup? Hear me out..

You play football at IU (could be any team), after that if you’re good you go to the NFL. You can go work out at IU in the off-season and that’s cool, promote the alma mater etc..great. You don’t practice with them in the season tho. Why is it that Molinaro can go drill with RBY? If there were a “pro” Freestyle wrestling league with pro contracts I assume this would not and could not happen so why is it ok for a graduated alum ...and non alums in this case  ...to workout current student athletes? Plus throw in the obvious recruiting advantages and it just strikes me as...shady? The RTC setup just seems like a glorified booster club extension for the wrestling team?

Yeah, I’m bored ...but miss my intelligent wrestling talk. Even @TeamGarcia non intelligent wrestling talk. Hope ur all well. Stay safe.

Depends on how serious the talk is @UncleJimmy . I have a Internal switch of Serious or Not Serious . I compare it to Joker, Do you want The Dark Knight Joker version or The Joker Movie version. It’s complicated. Once I feel every topic is a Joke ... BAM ! The Notorious comes to play with madness . the joker GIF 
Sometimes a poster comes along that completes me . Like a @MikeTython or yourself to get my creative side out . 

Dang ! I’m getting carried away . Back to the thread here...... !

Basically the elite athletes are going for the training partners . Much like what some HS athletes do . They search the best Academies to train at . They promote that academy. Some have interest in it . Some get perks for who and how they promote or bring in talent to because of their credentials. My take.  

See I can be Intelligent... HA ! HA! 

Edited by TeamGarcia

Think of it as a realization by USA Wrestling that the best coaching available was at the collegiate level. If they wanted to raise USA's standing in international wrestling it had to start with the college campus. By establishing the RTC system and ensuring compliance with NCAA rules they could have the best of both worlds. There is no question it gives a recruiting advantage to the schools that have an RTC, but it also serves the greater goal of raising the international competitiveness of USA Wrestling. on balance, the latter has been more important than the former.

Thanks. Understood and makes sense. But again, shouldn’t college guys “graduate” to RTC’s..not Olympic level guys go back to college campuses at their choosing and for the best package? Why isn’t Colorado Springs the ultimate RTC and once you prove your “college worth” you get to go there...aka “the pro’s”. 

I would say it's more of a fundraising thing. These college programs are able to fund raise to pay the athletes way more than the OTC could. In essence, there are a lot more college wrestling alumni that are willing to donate back to their program than there are people donating to the senior level athletes at the OTC. Some say that USA Wrestling isn't funneling the funds in the right direction, but that's a whole different discussion. 

In terms of the fairness, I actually think there are NCAA rules about keeping the RTC separate. However, it seems like these rules are kind of vauge, interpreted differently, and not really enforced. For the most part, these schools have separate RTC practices than their normal practice time so the college athletes can choose to go these practices to work with the RTC athletes on their own. So, it's not exactly like you said about the RTC athletes practicing with them, but at the same time, different colleges seem to interpret the rule differently as well. 

It's an interesting topic for sure! I think the RTCs have done a lot to help wrestling, so I'm in favor of them. Think about how many more guys are still wrestling and trying to make the Olympics compared to 10-12 years ago. I think this is in big part due to the RTCs and the Living The Dream Fund. Even if it does create a bit of an advantage for some schools, it seems to be beneficial for wrestling in the big picture, in my opinion. 

I have to agree , it is an advantage for a lot of the programs. Fair? Well only if the coaches don’t take advantage of the situation.  
But no rules broken, to say it is cheating. 

I have to say these so called Olympic training programs Could be responsible for the elevated success in world freestyle and Greco.