Article: Ultimate Bracket Challenge

Y2CJ41

We have put together the best 124 wrestlers from 2000-2020 and mashed them in the ultimate bracket. This list includes five wrestlers who won four state titles, 10 that won three titles, and 49 that have won two state titles!

We seeded them by a point system on their whole career then separated ties by national level success. The top 44 wrestlers(all who made the finals at least three times) were given a bye into the main 64 man ultimate bracket. The other 80 will battle it out in a vote-in to make the main bracket.

To add to the foray we have created some banana bets for you to earn more bananas for future use.

Voting will take place on Twitter starting around noon on Monday March 23rd and continue daily until the bracket is complete. Each voting duration will be only two hours so stay tuned to our Twitter account for updates throughout the day. As the winners are announced we will update our bracket to determine the champion.

Bracket Link
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mD3b5oNdjmYZlkwJsSsii2pdkuP5z-YZ2JY3wjDYyCY/edit?usp=sharing

Banana Bets Links
https://indianamat.com/index.php?/bettingshop/

Twitter Link
IndianaMat
#IMUltimateBracket

View full article

Here is the schedule for the rest of the week, we'll get all the vote-ins done today to fill the official bracket out.

16 Tuesday Round of 64(Ellis/Ritter)
16 Wednesday Round of 64(Duffey/Fisher)
16 Thursday Round of 32
8 Friday Round of 16
4 Saturday Round of 8
2 Saturday Final 4
1 Sunday Finals

Some first round matches to watch

Ellis Region
Eric McGill vs. Joe Lee- battle of two 2-1-1's

Matt Coughlin vs. Blake Boarman- Two Mater Dei studs and I believe Boarman trains at MCWC

Gelen Robinson vs. Stevan Micic- Two region rats with one being one of the best all-around athletes in Indiana history and the other wrestling in the Olympics

Ritter Region

Brennan Cosgrove vs. Ian Hinton- both had workmanlike careers

Brad Stephens vs. Reece Humphrey- Battle of Lawrence North Wildcats
Sean McMurray vs. Shawn Streck- A big-time region battle

Duffey Region
Jesse Mendez vs. Brayton Lee- nuff said
Drew Hughes vs. Garrett Pepple- Both currently at MSU

Fisher Region
Asa Garcia vs. Jacob Moran- Both currently at IU
Blake Rypel vs. Vinny Corsaro- Battle of Cathedral greats
Jacob Covaciu vs. Dexter Larimore- Another same school battle

8 hours ago, Loki27 said:

the Fact that Sliga isn’t in the top 20 kinda throws a little shade on the whole ultimate bracket. We are talking High School career in the 2000’s right?

There are 15 wrestlers that were 3-time champs, so they are all ahead of him.

Add in the following that were all two-time champs and were in the finals at least three times
Brandon Wright (Warren Central)
Matt Coughlin (Evansville Mater Dei)
Tommy Forte (Mishawaka)
Camden Eppert (Anderson Highland)
Alec Viduya (Roncalli)
Eric Roach (Crown Point)
Drew Hughes (Lowell)
Blake Rypel (Indianapolis Cathedral)
Cooper Samuels (Floyd Central)
Ethan Raley (Indian Creek)
Jacob Covaciu (Merrillville)
Eric Galka (Hobart)
Francisco Porras (Hobart)
Ian Hinton (Mishawaka)
Michael Escobedo (Lake Central)
Cody LeCount (Perry Meridian)
Joe Lee (Evansville Mater Dei)
Eric McGill (Munster)
Cayden Rooks (Columbus East)

You have to put him over 15 of these guys.
Joe Lee, Cody LeCount, Matt Coughlin, Blake Rypel, and Brandon Wright all had at least comparable national accolades.

Great idea. However, I think by voting on Twitter is going to be more of a popularity contest instead of an actual winner. Not everyone has Twitter either. The wrestlers who are younger will have more fans who can vote compared to the older wrestlers... Can we do one on here? 

Edited by navy80

1 hour ago, navy80 said:

Great idea. However, I think by voting on Twitter is going to be more of a popularity contest instead of an actual winner. Not everyone has Twitter either. The wrestlers who are younger will have more fans who can vote compared to the older wrestlers... Can we do one on here? 

The last time we did voting on here people were creating a bunch of burner accounts and it got out of hand. I learned my lesson there!

11 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

The last time we did voting on here people were creating a bunch of burner accounts and it got out of hand. I learned my lesson there!

You don’t think @TeamGarcia ain’t setup 1000s of Twitter burners?? He’s got the bots at the ready!! #Truth

21 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Fair enough.. 

The round of 32 is set! We will have all 16 matches tomorrow starting around 9am with one about every half hour.

Some interesting match-ups
Chad Red vs. Joe Lee
Matt Couglin vs. Brandon Wright- Both extremely identical careers

Reece Humphrey vs. Nick Lee

Sean McMurray vs. Eric Roach
Brayton Lee vs. Silas Allred
Drew Hughes vs. Josh Harper- Another MSU match-up for Hughes

19 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Chad Red vs. Joe Lee
Matt Couglin vs. Brandon Wright- Both extremely identical careers

Reece Humphrey vs. Nick Lee

Sean McMurray vs. Eric Roach
Brayton Lee vs. Silas Allred
Drew Hughes vs. Josh Harper- Another MSU match-up for Hughes

Red

Coughlin 

Reece by UTB

McDaddy

Silas Allred just too big! 

HUGHES

My worthless dont matter predictions.

I’ve not read all of the info about this so forgive me if this has already been said.     While I realize this is all in fantasy land it would be kinda neat to hear an actual play by play match for the final few competitors.  A period by period breakdown of how the match may play out.  Maybe highlighting each wrestlers style, mentioning a signature move, and maybe even throwing in a big moment that helped them in securing one of their real life state titles.  Sure you would have to pretend they are all at a similar weight, but it all imaginary anyway.  

This bracket is flawed if Andrew Howe does not win. It's hard to imagine given his only loss being to Reece Humphrey his freshmen year and his success at all levels he is not Indiana's greatest. Note: I realize this is focused on high school credentials. 

That being said seeing some of the names listed shows Indiana has had a lot of talent. And now it looks like many of them Parris, Micic, Lee (Brayton and Nick), Micic, Tsirtsis, Escebedo, Red, and others are making national noise on a much more consistent basis at the collegiate level. State is doing big things.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.