So Sad It's Cancelled

Since the Olympics are going to end up getting cancelled too, I propose an August NCAA Olympics. Let everybody from winter and spring sports get back together for training camps at the beginning of July and hold a condensed Championships extravaganza from like August 7 to 21 before universities are back in session. Winter championships are basically already locked and loaded. Just figure out their locations and schedules. Spring sports could do all-in conference or qualifier events the first few days and championships the last few days.

Put asterisks next to all the titles if people want since some athletes and coaches would have already moved on, but give them a once-in-a-lifetime replacement event anyway.

2 hours ago, maligned said:

Since the Olympics are going to end up getting cancelled too, I propose an August NCAA Olympics. Let everybody from winter and spring sports get back together for training camps at the beginning of July and hold a condensed Championships extravaganza from like August 7 to 21 before universities are back in session. Winter championships are basically already locked and loaded. Just figure out their locations and schedules. Spring sports could do all-in conference or qualifier events the first few days and championships the last few days.

Put asterisks next to all the titles if people want since some athletes and coaches would have already moved on, but give them a once-in-a-lifetime replacement event anyway.

Not that I don't like the idea. But if the Olympics, which are scheduled for July 24 thru August 9, get cancelled then I doubt it is likely the NCAA would deem it OK to hold any events in early August.

3 minutes ago, SIACfan said:

Not that I don't like the idea. But if the Olympics, which are scheduled for July 24 thru August 9, get cancelled then I doubt it is likely the NCAA would deem it OK to hold any events in early August.

My imaginary plan could be put in place more quickly. The Olympics have to decide in the next few weeks if they're going to continue because of all the logistics involved. If there is any progress in the next 6 weeks toward international cooperation of treatment and management, you could start planning an "NCAA Olympics" by the beginning of May and have two months before training camp and 3.5 months before the biggest events of the second week. 😁

I suppose you are right, but it is also simply a matter of optics. If the Olympics get cancelled, the NCAA will have to consider how it appears for them to hold a huge event like you are talking in essentially the same time frame.

I like the idea, but I'm afraid it is very unlikely for several reasons.

Edited by SIACfan

Yes, I'm definitely living in a dream world where the Olympics get cancelled sometime in the next couple weeks and public life starts coming back online a few weeks after that--too late to re-examine the Olympic postponement decision but not too late to plan a nationwide "return to sport" celebration and consolation prize that wouldn't matter to anyone but us. It's obviously a pipe dream for a million reasons. But I sometimes have pleasant dreams that make me happy I had them.

Super upsetting. My sons team (Ohio U) has 4 qualifiers. Two of them are seniors (one of which he lived and trained with all of last summer). These dudes are crushed!!! I see people asking for seniors to get an additional year of eligibility. With that said, if those kids get an extra year... all kids should get an extra year. For that reason, I don't see it happening. This sucks!!!

1 hour ago, Mattyb said:

...I see people asking for seniors to get an additional year of eligibility. With that said, if those kids get an extra year... all kids should get an extra year. For that reason, I don't see it happening. This sucks!!!

Good point, will be interesting to see what happens.