Almost certainty no fans at NCAA wrestling

7 hours ago, PMFAN said:

I mean there is no way they do not postpone it with what has happened today. Especially if Nebraska Head Coach Fred Hoiberg tests positive with CoronaVirus.

Absolutely no clue why they would let him on the court if he was exhibiting any type signs it could be this prior to the game.  Just seems like that is further adding to the anxiety of this whole thing when someone on the court  has it while a competition is happening.   

25 minutes ago, MattM said:

Absolutely no clue why they would let him on the court if he was exhibiting any type signs it could be this prior to the game.  Just seems like that is further adding to the anxiety of this whole thing when someone on the court  has it while a competition is happening.   

Huge lack of judgement on Hoiberg.

1 hour ago, MattM said:

Fortunately, he was diagnosed with a common cold and the Big Ten Tournament is still on schedule at Bankers Life with no fans.

3 hours ago, PMFAN said:

Fortunately, he was diagnosed with a common cold and the Big Ten Tournament is still on schedule at Bankers Life with no fans.

Check That. The Big Ten Tourney has now been cancelled along with a few other conference tournaments, and this will likely be follow with the cancellation/ suspension of the NCAA Tournament and obviously negatively affect the NCAA Wrestling Championships 😢

Edited by PMFAN

34 minutes ago, PMFAN said:

Check That. The Big Ten Tourney has now been cancelled along with a few other conference tournaments, and this will likely be follow with the cancellation/ suspension of the NCAA Tournament and obviously negatively affect the NCAA Wrestling Championships 😢

Unfortunately you are probably right, this isn't looking good for next week.

I'm just glad this didn't happen during wrestling season. I could only imagine what this board would be like if fans and parents weren't allowed at the event.

Wouldn't be surprised if NCAA basketball either pushes their whole entire event back several weeks with limited fans still, or possibly more likely canceled the large field and guest straight into a Sweet 16 bracket in a few weeks rather than running the whole tournament.  Wrestling may likely do some thing similar to follow that lead.   

Iowa University- National Champions- Since its highly unlikely that were going to have a National Championship now thanks to NCAA  freaking out.  So I guess we got to go with the polls.  Here's a pre-emptive congratulations to the Hawkeyes.  

Also,  I suggest we go with seedings for the Individual All-Americans.   Banner year for Purdue with 4 All-Americans.  Congrats Purdue.

I think the Fred Hoiberg drama last night was the straw that broke the camels back that will cause cancellation of everything in NCAAs.    Thanks Basketball, you get  to screw wrestling again.   Yea,  and don't tell me Fred Hoiberg wasn't feeling good yesterday  afternoon prior to the game.   Have some common sense.  He could done just as well with his last place basketball team  with an asst coach coaching. 

Here's Fred Hoibergs quote:  "Please let it be known that I would never do anything that would put my team, family or anyone else in harm's way," Hoiberg wrote.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

Division 1 schools are now starting to suspend all athletics due to the CoronaVirus outbreak with Duke and Kansas being the first so far. Now idk if Kansas and Duke have any wrestlers in the tournament but this is just the start of the ripple effect of schools going to suspend all of their athletics. I would almost say it is a certainty that the championships aren’t gonna be wrestled next week 😞 

Edited by PMFAN

8 minutes ago, PMFAN said:

Division 1 schools are now starting to suspend all athletics due to the CoronaVirus outbreak with Duke and Kansas being the first so far. Now idk if Kansas and Duke have any wrestlers in the tournament but this is just the start of the ripple effect of schools going to suspend all of their athletics. I would almost say it is a certainty that the championships aren’t gonna be wrestled next week 😞 

Ivy League just announced they are suspending all athletic activities, more conferences are to follow . 

40 minutes ago, PMFAN said:

Kansas is ranked #1.  So they get the vote in championship if everything is cancelled.   Maybe a subtle motive to quit playing while they're ahead.

7 hours ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Iowa University- National Champions- Since its highly unlikely that were going to have a National Championship now thanks to NCAA  freaking out.  So I guess we got to go with the polls.  Here's a pre-emptive congratulations to the Hawkeyes.  

Also,  I suggest we go with seedings for the Individual All-Americans.   Banner year for Purdue with 4 All-Americans.  Congrats Purdue.

I think the Fred Hoiberg drama last night was the straw that broke the camels back that will cause cancellation of everything in NCAAs.    Thanks Basketball, you get  to screw wrestling again.   Yea,  and don't tell me Fred Hoiberg wasn't feeling good yesterday  afternoon prior to the game.   Have some common sense.  He could done just as well with his last place basketball team  with an asst coach coaching. 

Here's Fred Hoibergs quote:  "Please let it be known that I would never do anything that would put my team, family or anyone else in harm's way," Hoiberg wrote.

People have made fun of me for that opinion, but I don’t think it’s horrible to name AAs based on seeds. Mostly because it does get Purdue 4, but it at least gives some year end recognition and the season isn’t totally lost. 

15 hours ago, base said:

I wonder what happens to the tens of thousands of airline and hotel reservations, and tickets that fans paid hundreds for?!

The NCAA says if you bought tix through them or an official source you will be automatically refunded minus applicable fees.  

Hilton said they will allow cancellations even for no- cancel and pre paid reservations. Other chains are likely to follow.

Most airlines are already offering vouchers or free rebooking.

All of these kinds of things are why you see the stock market tanking. The impact on economic activity has many concerned.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.