Greatest of All-Time

My other thread of the Indiana Wrestling Awards has gotten some favorable responses on here as well as my social media accounts, with particular aim at my star ratings and Match of the Year picks and candidates from over the years. It's led me to ask, what matches in our state's history are some of the greatest of all-time?

I have four matches that I've given five stars, three of which I saw live, and one via YouTube.

• Blake Maurer vs. Alex Dolly, 2003 IHSAA Individual State Championships - Finals at 171 LBS
  • Paul Petrov vs. Brenden Campbell, 2012 IHSAA Individual State Championships - Finals at 120 LBS
  • Cody LeCount vs. Tommy Forte, 2014 Bellmont Main Event - 145 LBS
  • Chad Red vs. Nick Lee, 2016 IHSAA State Championships - 132 LBS

What matches can you guys think of that were five stars or near so that were match of the year candidates that will go down in history?

Edited by blueandgold

On 3/7/2020 at 3:17 PM, Caleb Spires said:

Every year when I go to the state finals, the bar that I set is hoping to see another match as good as Petrov vs. Campbell.

It could be my favorite finals match ever.  At least it the one I always recall.  Loved the late match confidence Pertov had to cut Campbell and go down 1 point knowing he could get the takedown to win it.  Most guys would have tried to ride it out at that point and win in OT rather than purposely give up the lead against a top level wrestler.   

Also a big fan of the Eppert vs Wright State series rivalry.   It’s not to often do you see that long of a series play out.  

Edited by MattM

13 minutes ago, MattM said:

It could be my favorite finals match ever.  At least it the one I always recall.  Loved the late match confidence Pertov had to cut Campbell and go down 1 point knowing he could get the takedown to win it.  Most guys would have tried to ride it out at that point rather than purposely give up the lead. 

I might be misremembering, but it seems like Petrov scored right at the end of the 2nd period and from then on he had an unbelievable amount of confidence. He was on fire in the 3rd period. 

33 minutes ago, Silence Dogood said:

I might be misremembering, but it seems like Petrov scored right at the end of the 2nd period and from then on he had an unbelievable amount of confidence. He was on fire in the 3rd period. 

Petrov was down by 4 with a few second late in the 2nd and hit a Gramby Roll escape of a restart as the buzzer sounded.  Then as you said the fire blazed in the 3rd.   

All of these matches were awesome and so much fun to watch but I think Red vs Lee has to top the list. Red going for a 4x undefeated HS career and Lee coming off a season long injury. Red wrestled with a flare and had a persona all his own. Lee was the blue collared Wildcat from the south.  So much anticipation that people all of over the state were waiting to click open the brackets to see if Nick actually entered the sectional at 132. Then the anticipation to see if Red/Lee would happen in the semis or under the lights. It was the first time I had heard so much buzz about making that match the last of the night. Then the roar of the crowd before the match only to have to wait on a tv commercial break and then another roar to get it going.  Both wrestlers had the other on their back after takedowns and the match decided by Red’s ability to ride tough. 

And not to take anything away from the other wrestlers but just not sure how you top that. 

I want to say though, some of the best matches I’ve ever seen that deserve mention among some of the greatest of all-time happened inside that fieldhouse at New Castle, many of them in the ticket round. Off the top of my head:

• Robert Samuels vs. Jasion Brogan (2016)

• DJ Brookbank vs. Zach Melloh (2016)

• Breyden Bailey vs. Cornelious Elliott (2015)

• Jordan Vaughn vs. Jack Chastain (2015)

• Nathon Trawick vs. Chris Ridle (2015)

• Deondre Wilson vs. Brandon James (2014)

• Jacob Cottey vs. Preston Mantel (2014)

• Riley McClurg vs. Austin McCloskey (2013)

• Wes Bernard vs. Georgio Blades (2013)

• Brian Harvey vs. Kirk Johnson (2012)

• Jared McKinley vs. Josh Kieffer (2011)

A lot of representation from Perry Meridian and their regional. Always incredible atmosphere in New Castle.

Just a little bit of Asa Garcia HS career (2016-2019) (3x Champ, 4x Placer) 

Question for anyone, has anybody in the State wrestled that many State Champs, State Runner-ups throughout a career ? Name them 

Any match vs. Ty Mills (2x Runner up, 2x 3rd) .... every match to the wire. Wrestled him 15x ? Wrestled him Fr. Jr., (Regular Season, County, Conference, All of the State Series) My opinion the toughest kid in the State ! 

Any match vs. Cayden Rooks (2x State Champ, Runner up) ... every match to the wire . One match to even go to State in ticket round in 2016 . 
wrestled him 5x Fr. Jr.  (Team State, State Series) 

Any match vs. Brayden Curtis (2x State Champ, 4x placer) .... every match to the wire 

wrestled him 2x Freshman (State Series, USAW Scholastic) 

Any match vs. Alec Viduya (2x State Champ, State Runner Up, 4x placer) ... every match was a tough as nails 
wrestled him 4x Soph, Jr, Sr. (Team State, State Series) 

Any match vs. Key. Murphy (State Runner Up) ..... every match to the wire 

wrestle him 3x Freshman (Regular Season, Team State, State Series) 

Brayden Littell (State Champ)
Brayden only loss of his HS career at (Team State) 

If you ever witnessed any of these matches . 97% of them was 1-2 point Decision matches going either way. 

Edited by TeamGarcia

16 minutes ago, bbulldog152 said:

For Some reason 2009 145 Mcginley Vs Young also stands out to me... I know it ended in pin but that 3rd period was entertaining. I also remember 140 2004 Elkins and Pingleton 10-9 in the finals many take downs in that one.

McGinley/Young was an instant classic, I was on my way for first trip to Golden Ace Inn and cancelled plans after that match. 

6 hours ago, bbulldog152 said:

For Some reason 2009 145 Mcginley Vs Young also stands out to me... I know it ended in pin but that 3rd period was entertaining. I also remember 140 2004 Elkins and Pingleton 10-9 in the finals many take downs in that one.

That whizzer Elkins used to fight off those final TD attempts was epic..Pingleton had him picked up to the ceiling dead 2 fights

Rights multiple times and pulled it off some how. 

43 minutes ago, rookie78 said:

What about Harper vs. Carr in state finals?  If I recall, ot to win it all.  Also, wasn't it a rematch of the ot finals from the Al Smith?  

Pretty sure it was 2OT. I can see Carr's foot slipping out of Harper's grasp for the escape. 

How about Swain vs Shute back in 1984.  The best match in the history planet. It was so good they made a movie about it.  And Swain had some motivation from the sidelines, if you know what i mean.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.