Jump to content

Setting the correct schedule


Recommended Posts

Coming up with a good schedule to meet all the needs of my wrestlers has been a struggle.  We have a gap of ability difference within our team.  I have been thinking about hosting a 16 team Individual tournament that would allow each wrestler to have potentially 5 matches.  We would allow JV's wrestlers in spots that did not have 16 spots taken.  Example one team had a forfeit at 160 but team 2 had 2 160's we would plug the jv in the 160 spot with the forfeit.  Each weight class would have 4 seeded pools seed 1,16, 8, and 9 would be pool 1. Seeds 2, 15, 7, and 10 would be pool 2.  Seeds 3, 6, 11 and 14 would be pool 3.  Then seeds 4, 13, 12 and 5 would be pool 4.  All pools would wrestle each other once giving each wrestler 3 matches.  All of the the wrestlers that finished 1st would go to the 1st place bracket and wrestle 2 matches winners would wrestle winners losers wrestle losers.  I think this would help meet all wrestlers needs and still give everyone the same mat time. Would any schools be interested in a tournament like this. Only Awards to individuals no Team Award given.  Would love to hear feedback

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Raven27 said:

Coming up with a good schedule to meet all the needs of my wrestlers has been a struggle.  We have a gap of ability difference within our team.  I have been thinking about hosting a 16 team Individual tournament that would allow each wrestler to have potentially 5 matches.  We would allow JV's wrestlers in spots that did not have 16 spots taken.  Example one team had a forfeit at 160 but team 2 had 2 160's we would plug the jv in the 160 spot with the forfeit.  Each weight class would have 4 seeded pools seed 1,16, 8, and 9 would be pool 1. Seeds 2, 15, 7, and 10 would be pool 2.  Seeds 3, 6, 11 and 14 would be pool 3.  Then seeds 4, 13, 12 and 5 would be pool 4.  All pools would wrestle each other once giving each wrestler 3 matches.  All of the the wrestlers that finished 1st would go to the 1st place bracket and wrestle 2 matches winners would wrestle winners losers wrestle losers.  I think this would help meet all wrestlers needs and still give everyone the same mat time. Would any schools be interested in a tournament like this. Only Awards to individuals no Team Award given.  Would love to hear feedback

I like the idea. Not committing to coming or anything but it's a good idea. Zionsville hosts a tourney in December that does 2 pools and crosses over so you get lots of matches and at least a few at your level. The John Hurrle at Tech the first weekend is pretty much like that. A couple teams enter multiple athletes per weight, some don't and you have kids that are very talented and kids that are extremely new to the sport all in the same bracket, but by the end of the day, they've found their level. 

 

I will tell you, it takes a LONG time to run these tourneys because nobody is ever eliminated, but they're great for program development and meeting kids across multiple levels. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Coach Brobst said:

I like the idea. Not committing to coming or anything but it's a good idea. Zionsville hosts a tourney in December that does 2 pools and crosses over so you get lots of matches and at least a few at your level. The John Hurrle at Tech the first weekend is pretty much like that. A couple teams enter multiple athletes per weight, some don't and you have kids that are very talented and kids that are extremely new to the sport all in the same bracket, but by the end of the day, they've found their level. 

 

I will tell you, it takes a LONG time to run these tourneys because nobody is ever eliminated, but they're great for program development and meeting kids across multiple levels. 

I think we can run it fairly quick.  We now have an auxiliary gym I am hoping to have 8 mats and each round take about an hour. 5 hours with a lunch break in the middle. Getting 5 matches in and out by 2 our 3 pm.  Pools 1 and 2 in a Gym and 3 and 4 in a gym for 3 rounds.  Last two rounds would be 1st and 5th place brackets in a gym and 9th and 12th place in another gym.  Finding 8 officials would be the hard part.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ben Davis under Coach Moss did this several years ago as a Christmas Break tournament. I really enjoyed this set up.They ran it on 8 mats.  It was a long day, but my good kids got some quality matches and my inexperienced kids were able to see a level similar to their own. They also did team scoring.  I like this set up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2020 at 4:47 PM, mcochran said:

Ben Davis under Coach Moss did this several years ago as a Christmas Break tournament. I really enjoyed this set up.They ran it on 8 mats.  It was a long day, but my good kids got some quality matches and my inexperienced kids were able to see a level similar to their own. They also did team scoring.  I like this set up.

If they had multiple kids in the same weight class how did they do the team scoring?

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Raven27 said:

If they had multiple kids in the same weight class how did they do the team scoring?

Three options for this: You can set it up under Trackwrestling as 2 separate teams: for instance Alex-A and Alex-B and force coaches to choose who their "varsity" guy is to try to win the tournament but both teams score, just separately.

 

Second way is to choose the "scoring" athlete prior to the tournament. This is what they do at the John Hurrle. You only score if you're the designated scoring wrestler for your team. The problem with this is of course, with random seeding (unless you do the tourney late in the year), sometimes your JV kid gets a better draw and actually outplaces the Varsity kid because they have an easier pool.

 

Third way is to let everyone enter two per weight and everyone scores, similar to how they score an open tourney if they do team scoring. Downside here is there's a huge advantage to teams with full Varsity and JV rosters.

 

Just a few options.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Coach Brobst said:

Three options for this: You can set it up under Trackwrestling as 2 separate teams: for instance Alex-A and Alex-B and force coaches to choose who their "varsity" guy is to try to win the tournament but both teams score, just separately.

 

Second way is to choose the "scoring" athlete prior to the tournament. This is what they do at the John Hurrle. You only score if you're the designated scoring wrestler for your team. The problem with this is of course, with random seeding (unless you do the tourney late in the year), sometimes your JV kid gets a better draw and actually outplaces the Varsity kid because they have an easier pool.

 

Third way is to let everyone enter two per weight and everyone scores, similar to how they score an open tourney if they do team scoring. Downside here is there's a huge advantage to teams with full Varsity and JV rosters.

 

Just a few options.

I wouldn't score the pool wrestling just the tournament correct.  Could coaches change the scoring wrestler after the pools were completed?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Raven27 said:

I wouldn't score the pool wrestling just the tournament correct.  Could coaches change the scoring wrestler after the pools were completed?

On track you have to decide beforehand. There are set-ups for these tourneys on there, you just have to pick the bracket-type you want. If you did it manually, I suppose you could definitely score it however you want. But even the pools were scored for bonus points, just no advancement points until the bracket, and then your placement points, of course. 

 

Perhaps an admin could change the scoring wrestler mid-tourney, I'm not sure. Someone like @redcobraor @trackgopher could probably tell you better than I.

Edited by Coach Brobst
Link to post
Share on other sites

If my memory serves, Elkhart Memorial's Charger/Nicholson Invite was using both dual meet scoring on top of individual tourney scoring for their pooled event..  The winning teams usually had near 500 points or more.  Not sure how they did it on track, but they made it work.  https://www.trackwrestling.com/predefinedtournaments/MainFrame.jsp?newSession=false&TIM=1583510871742&pageName=

Edited by busstogate
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.