Tough Coaching Scenarios

15 hours ago, Wrestling4EVER said:

well to be honest the one that came to mind to me right away was when Seltzer hit an illegal move on Bettich I believe in the Semis of state  and Bettich was clearly shooken up and it looked like a possible concussion because he hit his head pretty hard. Bettich was losing pretty good and had gotten beat all year by Seltzer and he coulda layed  there and took  the win. If he had done so a whole lot of history would be changed. The first part that would be changed would be the 2020 team state champs would be Crown Point,  the second thing would be the 120 pound state champion. also it would not allow Seltzer to have the opportunity to get 3 titles and 4x under the lights. I don't know Bettich at all but after seeing that it made me a fan for life. What I have always been told  is you find out more about 1 loss about a persons character than you do after 1000 wins. Excellent Job Riley.

I second this. Good on Riley. 

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 12:43 PM, Coach Peck said:

Jeremy Motl was wrestling 275 for us  against Martnsville in the Saturday Morning round of State.  He was getting beat fairly well when the Martinsville wrestler slammed him and we took a pretty good blow to the head.  It was clearly a slam (Dave Errett was the Martinsville coach and I am pretty sure he would agree it was a slam.)  I will say that the slam was due more to the Martinvile kid losing control of Jeremy than him doing something intentional.  Jeremy was stunned and i would imagine today that the Trainers would not let him continue.  I was hoping he could continue.  We were just about out of recovery time and I told Dave that we did not want to win in this manner and asked him if he would tell his kid not to come after my kid so we could restart the match and then take injury time.  Dave was in agreement so we did that.  a few seconds went off the clock and we took injury time.  At the end of injury time we were still woozy and so we defaulted and the Martinsville boy advanced,  It was the right thing to do in that situation, but I would say that in some cases it is not the fair thing thing to do for your wrestler.

I don't know what the rules were back then, but now, you can just throw in the towel and let the official know that you're done even if you're on recovery time. Basically, to win for DQ for an illegal hold you have to use all of recovery time, but if you chose not to continue you're losing by default.

• 1 month later...

I saw the match Peck is talking about with Jeremy Motl & I agree 100%!  I was supposed to wrestle Motl in the Sectional Finals, but lost my first round sectional match the EXACT SAME WAY!  My opponent was from Cambridge City and I put a hard elbow in the back of his head working to sink a half (I was a Sophomore at the time). The kid literally laid on the mat until his injury time expired, then told the Ref he couldn't go on.  It was that simply, I was eliminated 1st round of sectionals.

This kid that flopped on me had to wrestle Motl for the Sectional Championship and the ENTIRE SHS GYM BOOED him! Motl smoked the kid, but the boos broke him! 

The story doesn't end there though.... My dad finds the phone number for this kids house and called his parents on the following Monday. I wasn't home when it happened, but my mom said he called the kid a fish and a faker! The kid's dad said he had enough of wrestling and was dropping out of Regionals. I ended up getting to wrestle in his place. I lost first round and never got to wrestle Motl, but I did attend state that year and watched the match that Peck is talking about.

I couldn't tell what was going on from the stands, but I fully expected Motl to flop!!! However, he went on and fought to the end. For the 1st time, I had a good deal of respect for the Trojans & Motl! I didn't expect him to get up!. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.