Jump to content

Big 10 pre-seeds are out and there are some surprises


Recommended Posts

Unfortunately Jacob Covaciu is unable to go and Indiana has no entry at 174.

 

The other surprise for me is that Chad Red only got the #4 seed. I think he should be the #3 seed. Instead Max Murin gets the #3 despite the fact that he lost the head to head to Red. The case for Murin could only be that he has fewer conference loses than Red, but it is easier to have fewer loses when you do not take the mat against Luke Pletcher or Nick Lee. This is similar to last year when Mike Carr got the #1 seed at Big 10's in spite of not having wrestled Joey McKenna or Nick Lee during the regular season.

 

It is clearly not as consequential as last year. Last year the Carr side of the bracket was clearly the place to be and that is not just hindsight talking. This year you get either Pletcher or Lee in your half of the bracket. Pick your poison. Still it is a bad look to have someone who lost the head to head and was unable to wrestle the guys above him, seeded higher.

 

Forgot the link in the original post: https://bigten.org/news/2020/3/2/big-ten-wrestling-pre-seeds-announced.aspx

Edited by wrestlenewbie
Link to post
Share on other sites

With the exception of the 1 and 2 seeds, 141 is difficult to seed. Murin beat Moran, Moran beat Red, Red beat Murin. 

 

I wasn't sure how the one and two seeds at 285 would be handled with 2 undefeated wrestlers, but in the end the two best wrestlers in the weight class are separated.

 

The seeds are subject to change, and I'm sure all B1G coaches will state their case.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly I was a bit surprised that Parris got the #1 seed over Steveson, however I am happy that he did as I feel Iike he earned it with the pin over Cassiopi and the fact that Steveson sat during the Michigan-Minnesota dual.

 

They are separated, however Cassiopi is a dangerous opponent and I’m happy that Parris will not have to go through him again prior to facing Steveson (assuming the seeds hold)

 

133 should be a fun weight there are some hammers there.

 

Also, is Christian Brunner going to be able to go for the Boilers?  I thought he was out for the year but I saw he was seeded

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tristan Moran, 17-5, ranked #11 (6-4 in last 10)

B10 Wins: Cole Martin, Parker Filius, Chad Red, Mitch McKee, Justin Benjamin

B10 Losses: Max Murin, Luke Pletcher, Nick Lee

 

Chad Red, 15-6, ranked #5 (7-3 in last 10)

B10 Wins: Mitch McKee, Cole Martin, Eddie Bolivar, Matt Santos, Max Murin,

B10 Losses: Luke Pletcher (2x), Nick Lee, Tristan Moran

 

Max Murin, 12-1, ranked #7 (9-1 in last 10)

B10 Wins: Mitch McKee, Parker Filius, Eddie Bolivar, Dylan Duncan, Tristan Moran

B10 Losses: Chad Red

 

Just looking at the data, I would have Murin the 3rd seed as well.....the 4th seed is very debatable between Red & Moran.

Edited by Indysportsfan
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Indysportsfan said:

Tristan Moran, 17-5, ranked #11 (6-4 in last 10)

B10 Wins: Cole Martin, Parker Filius, Chad Red, Mitch McKee, Justin Benjamin

B10 Losses: Max Murin, Luke Pletcher, Nick Lee

 

Chad Red, 15-6, ranked #5 (7-3 in last 10)

B10 Wins: Mitch McKee, Cole Martin, Eddie Bolivar, Matt Santos, Max Murin,

B10 Losses: Luke Pletcher (2x), Nick Lee, Tristan Moran

 

Max Murin, 12-1, ranked #7 (9-1 in last 10)

B10 Wins: Mitch McKee, Parker Filius, Eddie Bolivar, Dylan Duncan, Tristan Moran

B10 Losses: Chad Red

 

Just looking at the data, I would have Murin the 3rd seed as well.....the 4th seed is very debatable between Red & Moran.

 

Yes. But my point is that there is something missing. Murin has only one loss, but he also sat out the Ohio State and Penn State duals. So while Moran and Red have 3 Big 10 dual loses, 2 each are to Pletcher and Lee. The two guys Murin didn't wrestle. Too often guys are rewarded for NOT taking the mat ala Mike Carr. 

 

I am glad to see that they took the opposite tack with Parris and Steveson. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/article/2020-02-27/ncaa-reveals-qualifier-allocations-2020-ncaa-di-wrestling

 

With the allocations,   what are Purdue's wrestlers chances of making the NCAA.   Possibly 7 or even 8 on a good day wrestling.

 

Lydy, Bruner, Schroder, Coleman would get wild cards and are locks.

Penola probably would get wildcard too.

 

Fillius, Parriott and Lyon all are going to have to wrestle to get in and cant afford an upset.

 

Should be a fun day.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/article/2020-02-27/ncaa-reveals-qualifier-allocations-2020-ncaa-di-wrestling

 

With the allocations,   what are Purdue's wrestlers chances of making the NCAA.   Possibly 7 or even 8 on a good day wrestling.

 

Lydy, Bruner, Schroder, Coleman would get wild cards and are locks.

Penola probably would get wildcard too.

 

Fillius, Parriott and Lyon all are going to have to wrestle to get in and cant afford an upset.

 

Should be a fun day.

 

 

 

I think that Fillus, Parriott, and Lyon all would get wild cards. They’re all top 25 RPI

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2020 at 9:07 PM, base said:

Honestly I was a bit surprised that Parris got the #1 seed over Steveson, however I am happy that he did as I feel Iike he earned it with the pin over Cassiopi and the fact that Steveson sat during the Michigan-Minnesota dual.

 

They are separated, however Cassiopi is a dangerous opponent and I’m happy that Parris will not have to go through him again prior to facing Steveson (assuming the seeds hold)

 

133 should be a fun weight there are some hammers there.

 

Also, is Christian Brunner going to be able to go for the Boilers?  I thought he was out for the year but I saw he was seeded

Brunner should be good to go. Saw him on Purdue’s insta story last night drilling, and he looked good. Doesn’t even have a big knee brace on, just a normal knee pad. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/article/2020-02-27/ncaa-reveals-qualifier-allocations-2020-ncaa-di-wrestling

 

With the allocations,   what are Purdue's wrestlers chances of making the NCAA.   Possibly 7 or even 8 on a good day wrestling.

 

Lydy, Bruner, Schroder, Coleman would get wild cards and are locks.

Penola probably would get wildcard too.

 

Fillius, Parriott and Lyon all are going to have to wrestle to get in and cant afford an upset.

 

Should be a fun day.

 

 

 

 

Its behind their paywall, but there is an interview on Flo with Ersland today saying he wants 8. 

 

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6675535-2020-big-ten-wrestling-championship/videos?playing=6728925&limit=60

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.