Better than Indiana

blueandgold

3 hours ago, doctorWrestling said:

I would put Detroit Catholic Central or Davison against any team in IN and feel very good about that chances there.  I am not sure how many teams in IN have multiple Fargo All Americans every year but DCC can do that as well as a few others.

Wasn't it Portage that went to a dual tournament at Detroit Central Catholic a few years ago.  I think they had a stacked team,  I don't remember if they won or not but they competed well.  Does have the results?

I think the top teams like Cathedral, Brownsburg and  Mater Dei would compete well against a lot of the National teams in range of to 11- to 50 and the Indiana teams  get a little under rated in the national rankings. 

I think one way that we can continue to expand as a state is to continue to grow clubs that continue to pop up all over the state. This can help grow wrestling in areas like FW that do not have many options. I know for myself I had to travel 45 min to 2 hours to practice depending on the day.

7 hours ago, Galagore said:

If the intent is to find the best wrestler, then who cares about wrestle-backs?

OK, let me be a little more specific.

IMO, the Individual State Tournament is great in that it is intended to crown the best wrestler in each weight class. It is flawed without wrestle-backs, IMO, because some deserving wrestlers that likely could place at state get eliminated at the SS level because of an unfortunate draw that wrestle-backs could help fix.

JMO, you do not have to agree.

Edited by SIACfan

2 hours ago, SIACfan said:

OK, let me be a little more specific.

IMO, the Individual State Tournament is great in that it is intended to crown the best wrestler in each weight class. It is flawed without wrestle-backs, IMO, because some deserving wrestlers that likely could place at state get eliminated at the SS level because of an unfortunate draw that wrestle-backs could help fix.

JMO, you do not have to agree.

Again, I am in favor of wrestle backs. Just think arguments for/against wrestle backs often work for class wrestling. 

4 hours ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Wasn't it Portage that went to a dual tournament at Detroit Central Catholic a few years ago.  I think they had a stacked team,  I don't remember if they won or not but they competed well.  Does have the results?

I think the top teams like Cathedral, Brownsburg and  Mater Dei would compete well against a lot of the National teams in range of to 11- to 50 and the Indiana teams  get a little under rated in the national rankings. 

Portage wrestled at DCC in 2015-16 winning the dual 41-22 if I remember right. 

1 hour ago, takemtothemat said:

Curious???? What would be the rule if you travel your 300 miles? And another team is at a meet 301 miles from your home address?

Well for instance, Portage couldn’t attend the DCC super duals the following year I believe it was, because DCC had a team outside of our 300 mile rule come. With the possibility of a match up portage couldn’t attend. 

I really think it was DCC but don’t quote me lol

7 hours ago, RaiderColfax said:

Well for instance, Portage couldn’t attend the DCC super duals the following year I believe it was, because DCC had a team outside of our 300 mile rule come. With the possibility of a match up portage couldn’t attend. 

Yeah! This rule needs changed.

18 hours ago, GrecoCoach said:

That's awesome!

How many years ago was this proposed?  I'm assuming this is a bylaw change, so when is the next chance for an AD to propose this?

This was last March by some athletic directors from Southern Indiana. I don't know how often AD's can do proposals, but I will look into it.

On 2/27/2020 at 7:22 AM, TeamGarcia said:

Ahhhhhh.... The What “if” travel rule ... they’ll  let you go but you gotta get a waiver . Micic was giving permission to wrestle over seas one year I believe. Yes the travel restriction is dumb but it is what it is in Indiana, Michigan and a few other states . Don’t like it, take your kids to Ohio or Illinois or something to get that exposure if you feel IHSAA is holding them back . what if GIF ^^^^ ... what if I told you can wrestle out of state during IHSAA State ? 

Agreed!  If the IHSAA is holding back your child feel free to move to Pennsylvania and New Jersey.  They will get all the exposure on their backs they can handle.

9 hours ago, RaiderColfax said:

So they didn't want a thumping again from an Indiana School.    Sounds legit to me.

I wonder what @Doctorwrestling thinks about that.

27 minutes ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

So they didn't want a thumping again from an Indiana School.    Sounds legit to me.

well they put a thumping on culver(68-12 and cathedral(40-16) in 2018. So I don’t know if that was the reason lol but DCC always has a great squad every year. I just can’t remember if that’s the tourney portage couldn’t go to because of a team from 300 miles out or not. 

1 hour ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

I am fairly new to MI - 2015 may have been before DCC's recent dominance.  Since I have been paying atttention, DCC has been pretty incredible.  Although I don't follow team rankings closely, I believe they were ranked top 5 or better this year at one time.  I really don't even know where to find the team rankings so forgive me if I am wrong but I think there were 3 Michigan teams in the top 15.  Dundee is a Div 3 team with a couple Fargo AA's that I think was one of those in the top 15.  

We have weird travel restrictions too.  There is talk of us getting kicked out of an IN tournament who wants to bring in a team from TN because TN doesn't border MI.  

I love IN wrestling.  Both states are great.  I know IN has had some highly ranked teams in the past but when was the last time IN had a team in the top 5 nationally?  I hope the answer is recently - I am probably biased because I am more familiar with Michigan's top teams now.  I think MI has more "all-star" teams with kids who would be from different districts coming together to for super teams.  DCC and Dundee are definitely built that way.  I heard there may be a public school around Indy with a lot of kids from different districts also but that's all fair with school of choice.

2 minutes ago, doctorWrestling said:

I am fairly new to MI - 2015 may have been before DCC's recent dominance.  Since I have been paying atttention, DCC has been pretty incredible.  Although I don't follow team rankings closely, I believe they were ranked top 5 or better this year at one time.  I really don't even know where to find the team rankings so forgive me if I am wrong but I think there were 3 Michigan teams in the top 15.  Dundee is a Div 3 team with a couple Fargo AA's that I think was one of those in the top 15.  

We have weird travel restrictions too.  There is talk of us getting kicked out of an IN tournament who wants to bring in a team from TN because TN doesn't border MI.  

I love IN wrestling.  Both states are great.  I know IN has had some highly ranked teams in the past but when was the last time IN had a team in the top 5 nationally?  I hope the answer is recently - I am probably biased because I am more familiar with Michigan's top teams now.  I think MI has more "all-star" teams with kids who would be from different districts coming together to for super teams.  DCC and Dundee are definitely built that way.  I heard there may be a public school around Indy with a lot of kids from different districts also but that's all fair with school of choice.

I'd say we rarely have even a top 10 dual team. It would surprise me if we've ever had a top 5 ranked team, unless it was during the Mater Dei run.

The thing is national team rankings are a hodgepodge and hard to do. With our single class system it is hard to compare semi-state level kids to state qualifiers and placers from other states. Add to that our kids that are nationally ranked that we rarely have more than a couple from one school.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.