Best to Never Win State

blueandgold

2 minutes ago, tonyzirkle said:

Was he the one who got a DQ, went out the exit ramp and banged something so loud you could hear it in the arena? I was trying to remember the name and Tony Jones Warren Central was the name and school coming to mind, but I don’t even know if that’s a wrestler. I wasn’t confident enough in the identity to post it. I was thinking it was an illegal slam in the semis by a 185 or Hwt that got him the DQ. It likely would have been 86-91. Long time ago. 

This might help

On 3/4/2020 at 6:14 AM, PURDUEdad said:

In 2001, Franklin’s senior Aaron Clark (48-0) defeated sophomore Macke (39-3) 4-3 to win the 103 lb. state championship. The next week at team state, Macke defeated Clark 10-9. I’m not sure, but my guess is that Macke’s 3 losses might have all been to Clark, at state, semi-state and the Holiday Classic. If so, I bet they were all close.

Macke was so close to being a multiple state winner . . .

I mentioned him

On 3/3/2020 at 7:39 PM, TeamGarcia said:

Mason Miranda 

SQ 

2x Middle School State Champ 

IMO, best to never place at State 

Won ISWA State as well a lot . 

Jade Mccammon was a Cadet and Junior All American at Fargo and never even qualified...

Rickie Elkins is one that a lot of people forget about...

Runner-up in 2000, ranked #1 in 2001 going into State...

Up 4-2 first round at State and gets put to his back an pinned in the 2nd period by a very tough Curt Schleibaum

I believe Elkins had a win over the runner-up that year (Jason Woodson) and then beat the Champ (Allen Weinzapfel) by 5 or 6 points at team state the next weekend

24 minutes ago, NavyGonzo said:

Up 4-2 first round at State and gets put to his back an pinned in the 2nd period by a very tough Curt Schleibaum

I believe Elkins had a win over the runner-up that year (Jason Woodson) and then beat the Champ (Allen Weinzapfel) by 5 or 6 points at team state the next weekend

You wasn't too bad yourself you rotten booger you😂

1 hour ago, NavyGonzo said:

I believe Elkins was ranked highly in the country at the time.  Should not have chosen down.  But I was glad he did. 

Edited by MattM

Chandler Carroll Yorktown

4x placer

3rd- loss to Campbell of New Castle

5th loss to Ayersman

4th loss to Forte then Hupp 

5th loss to Schurg

Sage Coy Southside/Delta

believe was a Fargo AA before in Greco

missed post season first two years of hs

takes 3rd losing only to nick lee

then places again battling some injuries. One of the most explosive kids I’ve ever wrestled.

Austin Bethel Mt. Vernon

4x qualifier with wins over brayton and joe lee

3rd in d3 for Wabash freshman year and pinned #15 in country in d1 sophomore year but has battled a lot of injuries.

Kyle Hatch was a 3 time placer I believe currently ranked 1st in d3 for Wabash. kid can put anyone in the country to their back

8 minutes ago, Jstephenson1356 said:

Chandler Carroll Yorktown

4x placer

3rd- loss to Campbell of New Castle

5th loss to Ayersman

4th loss to Forte then Hupp 

5th loss to Schurg

Sage Coy Southside/Delta

believe was a Fargo AA before in Greco

missed post season first two years of hs

takes 3rd losing only to nick lee

then places again battling some injuries. One of the most explosive kids I’ve ever wrestled.

Austin Bethel Mt. Vernon

4x qualifier with wins over brayton and joe lee

3rd in d3 for Wabash freshman year and pinned #15 in country in d1 sophomore year but has battled a lot of injuries.

Kyle Hatch was a 3 time placer I believe currently ranked 1st in d3 for Wabash. kid can put anyone in the country to their back

No mention of Cael McCormick? Four-time placer and two-time DI NCAA qualifier? 

Or another Army wrestler Ben Harvey who has had a solid NCAA career.

I can not believe someone has not mentioned Alan Grammer from Evansville Rietz.  2x State runner up.  He was like a 5 time NCAA All-American.  Had 2 DII National titles back when the qualified for the DI nationals where he was an AA twice.  I believe he beat Oklahoma State coach John Smith a couple times while in college.  Pretty impressive.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.