Best to Never Win State

blueandgold

2 hours ago, Steven Sandefer said:

Alex Dolly

Aaron Stevenson

Braden Atwood

Dolly vs Mauer top 5 state finals matches ever.. Hell 3 of the best finals matches I've ever seen we Mauer vs Hobbs,Newport(another monster that never won)  and Dolly... Campbell vs Ayersman and Petrov are up There as well even though they broke my heart having coached Campbell. 

Anthony Lovejoy from Luers is a name that comes to mind (multi-time placer). Also, can't forget the Lefever brothers from Carroll. All 3 of them were placers and we all know how well Riley did in college. Fielden from Garrett would also be another good name to throw in. 

Randy Baker of Belmont 4x placer always a guy that could beat anybody on any given day..

William Campbell of Warren Central 2x Runner-up and cadet FS all American

Jonathan Brownlee of Snider was 1 of most swoll 45ers ever and placed 3rd twice and lost his senior year in a unreal match to Mauer in OT iirc

Aaron Sessa of Lake Central was a 2x Runner up..Cosgrove will vouch for how good he was..

Brad Spine of Floyd central ws a stud that placed 3rd and 2nd losing heart breaker to Jose Escobedo in the finals 3-2.. he's currently a world class arm wrestler.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Might get hated for this... but NOAH FREAKING HOLLENDONNER! DINGER! He might not be “the best” to never win state now, but if he decides to continue wrestling then in 4 years he’d be a conversation on a thread like this. Wrestled jv half the year two years ago, qualified last year (with 2 big upsets at semi state, and then made the STATE FINALS this year beating two top 5 ranked guys on the way. If the CP program was where it’s at NOW when Dinger was a freshman then I think Noah Hollendonner would be one of the top seniors in the stage right now.. if not the country. Call me crazy, but it’s just my opinion 

1 hour ago, NW Indiana Wrestling Fan said:

Might get hated for this... but NOAH FREAKING HOLLENDONNER! DINGER! He might not be “the best” to never win state now, but if he decides to continue wrestling then in 4 years he’d be a conversation on a thread like this. Wrestled jv half the year two years ago, qualified last year (with 2 big upsets at semi state, and then made the STATE FINALS this year beating two top 5 ranked guys on the way. If the CP program was where it’s at NOW when Dinger was a freshman then I think Noah Hollendonner would be one of the top seniors in the stage right now.. if not the country. Call me crazy, but it’s just my opinion 

He did have an epic run! 

2 minutes ago, Jayruss said:

Craig Macke gets my vote every time. Poor guy had the face Angel Escobedo. 

And macke also tightened up the score every time they wrestled and that's who Logan Boe reminds me of..Macke could spladle and cradle ppl from anywhere.. very funky and slick..

Tyler Willis Cathedral

9th 160    40-8  7th loss to Briar Runyan (1st) and Brad Farrell (5th)

10th 160    43-1  2nd loss to Sean McMurray (1st)

11th 160    45-2 3rd  loss to Chad Welch (1st)

12th 170    44-3  4th  loss to Sean Mappes (1st), inj def to 4th

9 hours ago, rdrodd1 said:

Tyler Willis Cathedral

9th 160    40-8  7th loss to Briar Runyan (1st) and Brad Farrell (5th)

10th 160    43-1  2nd loss to Sean McMurray (1st)

11th 160    45-2 3rd  loss to Chad Welch (1st)

12th 170    44-3  4th  loss to Sean Mappes (1st), inj def to 4th

He was a stud.. him and Jon decker had a really good match their senior year.

I do feel this discussion should only include the person's High School resume. 

I also feel like just seeing all of these great names being mentioned it really puts in perspective how special it is to be a State Champion, but also how being a multiple Champ even tougher.

Edited by XCard

32 minutes ago, XCard said:

I do feel this discussion should only include the person's High School resume. 

I also feel like just seeing all of these great names being mentioned it really puts in perspective how special it is to be a State Champion, but also how being a multiple Champ even tougher.

Even though Ethan Raley is a 2xer to speak on how tough it is to win it, He didn't win state the year he was Super32 Champ!  That is a true testament to how unreal it is to win a state title let alone multiple.

11 minutes ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

Even though Ethan Raley is a 2xer to speak on how tough it is to win it, He didn't win state the year he was Super32 Champ!  That is a true testament to how unreal it is to win a state title let alone multiple.

We’ve been so blessed in the past 10+ years with so many multi-time state champions that, unfortunately, it looks much easier than it actually is!!

2 hours ago, DrunkJoeNamath said:

We’ve been so blessed in the past 10+ years with so many multi-time state champions that, unfortunately, it looks much easier than it actually is!!

You're not frikkn jokin! Winning it once is 1 of the greatest achievements you can attain let alone be a 2,3 or 4xer! I wonder if the winning it the 2nd time a and so on is as joyful as winning the 1st? Need find a multiple time state champ to ask.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Jeff Pease

Follow 0

Muncie Southside | Class of 1991

State
1990 Hwt State 3rd
1988 Hwt State Qualifier

National
1989 275lbs Junior Freestyle Nationals 1st
1989 275lbs Junior Greco Nationals 1st
1988 242lbs Cadet Freestyle Nationals 1st
1988 242lbs Cadet Greco Nationals 1st
1987 242lbs Cadet Freestyle Nationals 5th
1987 242lbs Cadet Greco Nationals 1st

College
1996 275lbs NCAA DII 7th for Central Oklahoma
1995 275lbs NCAA DII 2nd for Central Oklahoma

Nathan “Chin Whip City” Walton 

2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 8th 

Sammy Fair 

2nd, 5th, SQ 

Won ISWA State I’d say 10x, possible a lot more 

Mason Miranda 

SQ 

2x Middle School State Champ 

IMO, best to never place at State 

Won ISWA State as well a lot . 

Just a few nobody mentioned yet I think. 

On 2/24/2020 at 11:05 PM, SWINfan said:

How has no one mentioned Craig Macke??

In 2001, Franklin’s senior Aaron Clark (48-0) defeated sophomore Macke (39-3) 4-3 to win the 103 lb. state championship. The next week at team state, Macke defeated Clark 10-9. I’m not sure, but my guess is that Macke’s 3 losses might have all been to Clark, at state, semi-state and the Holiday Classic. If so, I bet they were all close.

Macke was so close to being a multiple state winner . . .

31 minutes ago, PURDUEdad said:

In 2001, Franklin’s senior Aaron Clark (48-0) defeated sophomore Macke (39-3) 4-3 to win the 103 lb. state championship. The next week at team state, Macke defeated Clark 10-9. I’m not sure, but my guess is that Macke’s 3 losses might have all been to Clark, at state, semi-state and the Holiday Classic. If so, I bet they were all close.

Macke was so close to being a multiple state winner . . .

I talk about this rivalry every year to my team...

Clark beat Macke by something like 14 at MD Classic. 

Then like a major at semi-state.

Then 1 at state. 

Then Macke beat Clark at Team State.

Maybe my memory is rough at this point, but I'm pretty close there I know.

4 hours ago, ehscoach said:

I talk about this rivalry every year to my team...

Clark beat Macke by something like 14 at MD Classic. 

Then like a major at semi-state.

Then 1 at state. 

Then Macke beat Clark at Team State.

Maybe my memory is rough at this point, but I'm pretty close there I know.

And to speak to your point it happened like that between him and Angel.. tightened up the score each time and showed why the greats are great.. they make adjustments and improvements not excuses! 

On 2/24/2020 at 5:03 PM, GenHeavyHandz said:

1991 Hwt Tony Vaughn FW Snider. Second and Third.  Probably the worst disqualification ever in the semis.  A stalled out whilst he was on top.  Went on to All-American status at Purdue placing 3rd. 

Vinny Casaro: 3x runner up.

1990 Paul Troupe SB LaSalle. 3x qualifier: 2x medalist.  Fargo National Champ in Freestyle.  Fargo National Runner up in Greco. 

Was he the one who got a DQ, went out the exit ramp and banged something so loud you could hear it in the arena? I was trying to remember the name and Tony Jones Warren Central was the name and school coming to mind, but I don’t even know if that’s a wrestler. I wasn’t confident enough in the identity to post it. I was thinking it was an illegal slam in the semis by a 185 or Hwt that got him the DQ. It likely would have been 86-91. Long time ago. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.