Instant Replay Review

wnwrestler138

54 minutes ago, wnwrestler138 said:

Looking at the countless questionable and controversial calls in every state finals. Why can’t we have instant replay for Highschool wrestling? Especially at the higher levels. 

My understanding is that the NFHS, the authority for high school rules, doesn’t permit video review for any sports.

I doubt any sort of review for the state finals would happen until video review was implemented throughout the regular season.

3 hours ago, wnwrestler138 said:

Looking at the countless questionable and controversial calls in every state finals. Why can’t we have instant replay for Highschool wrestling? Especially at the higher levels. 

I was saying the same thing in another post. I know the referees are out there doing their best to make the right call, and sometimes we miss the call. It sucks going back and watching video of yourself making a mistake after the fact. Therefore, why not help us out at the highest levels to ensure that the CORRECT call is made. 
I’m not trying to bash my fellow refs, but we can all admit, as refs, coaches, and athletes we make impulse decisions that we think to be 100% true, and turn out to be 100% wrong. 

I think replay is a GREAT idea! I want the ranks of our statewide referees to grow! If there is a questionable call as we speak, and it gets called wrong, we can’t take it back. With replay we can right the wrong.

Edited by The Zebra

7 hours ago, The Zebra said:

I was saying the same thing in another post. I know the referees are out there doing their best to make the right call, and sometimes we miss the call. It sucks going back and watching video of yourself making a mistake after the fact. Therefore, why not help us out at the highest levels to ensure that the CORRECT call is made. 
I’m not trying to bash my fellow refs, but we can all admit, as refs, coaches, and athletes we make impulse decisions that we think to be 100% true, and turn out to be 100% wrong. 

I think replay is a GREAT idea! I want the ranks of our statewide referees to grow! If there is a questionable call as we speak, and it gets called wrong, we can’t take it back. With replay we can right the wrong.

We don't need to have replay review to get calls correct on the mat. what we need is consistency across the whole state on situations that each official may come across during the season and be better prepare to make those calls with the second officials support or opinion. The disconnect that I have seen the last couple of years is the inexperience of some officials that do not get to see enough of those crazy situations often, and not preparing or anticipating those situations... which could be illegal cutbacks, cut blocks, hands to the face, hip to hip early take downs, take downs not beyond reaction time. I believe we could truly improve the sport of wrestling by preparing thru having monthly calls statewide and discuss situations, topics, and how to call them consistent across the state. 

Those are my two sense. We have a tremendous amount of good officials across the state but I believe we could always improve. And it all starts with us.

No, I do not believe it will hurt. However, I believe we are really far from using Video Review when we have other flaws to fix first in the sport of wrestling. I wish we were able to use Video Review but we can't even get wrestlebacks for crying out loud lol

15 minutes ago, Jack Jones said:

All that said, do you believe replay review would hurt? If so, please explain.

I think it would generally help, but not the panacea you think.    But I think to do correctly you would have to implement this across the whole state for the whole season,  and you just cant bring it out for the sate finals.  I don't think right to change the rules for the state tournament.  

The problem with that is to do this,  ever high school would have to invest in some live camera system and video system that can be replayed.  You're going to have to add an additional volunteer person for each table at every meet that had video skills and probably a tech person.  There would be additional cost for each school to invest in a system that would meet a certain standard.    Also, maybe the refs might need some training.    It just would make an administrative nightmare to implement this on a widespread scale.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

1 minute ago, Jack Jones said:

My thoughts were to just use it starting with the sectionals since everyone qualifies. Obviously there would be a cost to it, but cost shouldn't get in the way of progress. This is only my opinion mind you.

That's a possible idea,   but then somebody would request it at team state or the Al smith or team state or some other big tournament, then down slippery slope. 

Also,  think about this, if we didn't have experience in the  season with replay, you wouldn't get the bugs worked out.   You would have officials, coaches, and filmers and tech people inexperienced  with using this technology.   You would have a lot of problems with inexperienced camera men and tech issues.   You would have coaches and referees with no experience on what situation  you could review.   I think you would have serious problems at sectonals and regionals.  Who would play for the equimpment to be used a few weeks a year.

The other issue is that could add a lot of time to wrestling meets which generally are already to long.  You potentially could add hours to a meet with more bored fans in the stands watching nothing.          

Also, think about this.    Wrestling would not be the first sport to get replay review ok'd by the IHSAA.  Rembember,  were not a priority  Just imagine if wrestling had video review and basketball and football didn't.  Football and basketball  coaches would freak out and demand  video review because wrestling had it. Wrestling and basketball are the poster childs and take leads and no way would wrestling get it first.

So if basketball and football got review approved by IHSAA,  then  possibly the IHSAA would be forced to consider review for wrestling. 

This is just like wrestle backs.   Were not going to get wrestle backs approved by the IHSAA until basketball or football get wrestle backs.  We cant have our own special need until basket ball gets to try it out 1st.

17 minutes ago, Jack Jones said:

I know that the NCAA is on another level, budget wise. I am curious though of how they went about implementing it and what issues they had.

Mainly only D1 programs, big tourneys in all the other divisions; like NCAAs regional, and nationals do they use this, as well as the Big Conference tourneys (Big 10, BIG 12, ACC, MAC, PAC 12, ETC). The problem with having it in high school is that coaches already take officials to the table enough for "clarifications" of a rule, having video review will only extend matches longer and will stop the flow of the match some more...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.